Standing second from right, Odger Miner and his fellow Hopewell Township volunteer fire fighters prepare for a community event in this small community near Aliquippa, Beaver County, PA. The department was created in 1940 after a major fire occurred on South Heights Road. Two years later, in 1942, the department members pooled their funds to purchase two old fire trucks from the Aliquippa Fire Department -- a 1916 Brockway and 1918 American LaFrance. Other volunteers seen here in the Brockway truck were Lester Ramsey, Clyde Spieker, Walter Ramsey and R. Lee Ramsey.
This image also appears on the "History" page of the Hopewell Volunteer Fire Department website.
The Hopewell firemen knew how to poke fun at themselves during parades. They would place a box of old metal parts in a compartment in the engine area of the truck. When approaching the judging stand, one of them would pull a string, causing the box of parts to fall to the ground with a loud clattering sound, and another would make the truck backfire, adding more sound effects. Then they would run to the front of the truck, gather back all of the parts, and continue driving along. The stunt was guaranteed to amuse spectators, time after time. More >>>