What's New

Photo of the Month

Minerd.com Blog


National Reunion


Cousin Voices

Honor Roll

In Lasting Memory

In the News

Our Mission and Values

Annual Review

Favorite Links

Contact Us


Lantz Hupp Ullom (1876-1950) and
Maude A. Hinerman (1879-1959)


Wedding photo, July 1901

Lantz Hupp Ullom was born on April 3, 1876 near Aleppo, Greene County, PA, the son of Madison and Melissa Ann (Hupp) Ullom. He was named after his mother's brother Andrew "Lantz" Hupp, a prominent West Virginia physician, and went on to a career as a distinguished businessman and hardware store owner in Washington, Washington County, PA. 

Maude Alice Hinerman was born on April 1, 1879, also near Aleppo, Greene County, the daughter of Thomas A. and Experience "Peoria" (Grimm) Hinerman Jr

Lantz and Maude shared much in common from childhood -- they grew up on adjacent farms, each lost a parent quite young, they had mixed families of brothers and sisters from several marriages, and they aspired to the better things of life.

Lantz's father passed away in 1879, when the boy was age three, and he was raised by his mother and a loving step-father, Christian Grim. Maude's mother died in childbirth with her in 1879, and the baby was taken into the home of a bachelor uncle, Albert Hinerman, in Aleppo. The uncle raised her there to adulthood. In 1900, census records for Aleppo show her sharing a home with Uncle Albert and another unmarried (and possibly mentally retarded) uncle, William Hinerman.


Ullom children, clockwise from top: Thelma, Mildred, Reynol, Monalea

Growing up on a farm, Lantz suffered from asthma and found it difficult to labor on his mother and step-father's farm, breathing in dirt and dust from the hay and horses. He did not finish high school. As a 25-year-old bachelor, living in Aleppo circa 1900, he earned a living as a sales agent for a local tombstone company.

In 1899, Lantz received the shocking news of the untimely death of the maternal uncle for whom he was named, Dr. Andrew "Lantz" Hupp, near Clarksburg, WV, from an infection caused by kidney stones.

On July 10, 1901, when he was age 25 and she 22, Lantz and Maude were joined in matrimony. The ceremony was held in nearby Moundsville, Marshall County, WV, officiated by Rev. James B. Smith.

The Ulloms produced four children -- Thelma Elwilda Riggs, Mildred Mardell Day, Monalea Eleanor Miner and Reynol Vermont Ullom. At least two of the daughters were born in Parkersburg, Wood County, WV -- Mildred in November 1904 and Monalea in June 1907, and possibly Thelma also, in January 1903.

Over the years, as she sought social standing, Maude was actively involved with her community, as a member of the First Christian Church and its Loyal Women's Sunday School Class. She also was active with the Washington Chapter of the Order of Eastern Star, Dames of Malta and Women's Benefit Association. 

At some point in time, date not yet known, Lantz opened his own general store at 58 West Chestnut Street. He sold hardware, paint, wall paper, "Congoleum" flooring and other household supplies. He also dealt in candy, and his daughters regularly would stop by on their way home from school to get their sugary "fix."



Ullom hardware store at 58 West Chestnut Street, and a giveaway plate.



Ullom home, Franklin Street

The store provided Lantz and Maude with a comfortable income and allowed them to purchase a home on Franklin Street, and to travel extensively. He advertised in such publications as the Pittsburgh Christian Advocate and gave away decorative plates to store customers as premiums for making purchases. 

On Jan. 8, 1911, the store was engulfed in what the Canonsburg (PA) Daily Notes said was the "most destructive fire that has preyed upon Washington within the past seven years [which] destroyed a large section of a West Chestnut street business block...." About $6,500 worth of merchandise was destroyed, and only covered one third by insurance. 

To continue to build connections with prospective customers and vendors, Lantz in July 1915 traveled to Canonsburg for a "get acquainted" trip with local merchants there. In August 1917, he traveled to New York to look for sources of men's and boy's furnishings, and his name was printed in a registry in the New York Sun newspaper.

They hosted regular Sunday chicken dinners at their home, with their daughter Monalea Miner's family driving in from Aliquippa in nearby Beaver County. Maude would behead a chicken from the coop in their back yard, pluck the feathers and prepare it for cooking. Home made fudge was the specialty dessert served after every dinner. It's said that the women would prepare the meal, and that the men would clean up afterward. A favorite ritual in the family -- especially after Lantz's death in 1950 -- was to drive up into Washington Cemetery on Sunday afternoons to pay respects to family graves. Some bit of gallows humor always was involved in these outings.

Lantz and Maude also held Christmas gatherings for decades. Grandchildren recalled going to church on Christmas Eve, coming home with the doors to the parlor closed, being ushered right to bed, and sleeping in the cold attic with no heat. 


First Christian Church, Washington

The family church was located in the town of Washington. Rev. John Love, their pastor, was considered a good friend. In about 1946, a boiler in the basement exploded, killing the church pianist and causing significant damage. A new building was constructed circa 1961 at 615 East Beau Street in East Washington, where it continues to operate today. The new building was the victim of an arsonist in January 1997 but was rebuilt. Many family anniversary and funeral events have been held there over many years.

At some point, Lantz purchased a piece of property along the National Highway, today known as U.S. Route 40, where he kept a sizeable chicken farm. Later this site became the well known Club 40 Restaurant before eventually closing.

Lantz was caught up in controversy in June 1929 when a delivery boy for a customer paid for paint with an endorsed check above and beyond the purchase price. Lantz gave the boy the paint and change covering the difference. In looking over the check afterward, Lantz was a bit suspicious and took the paper to the local police station, to find to his dismay that it had been forged. Police notified him that similar cases had been seen in Donora, Charleroi and Monongahela. He had been fleeced out the paint and the change, with the story reported in the Monongahela Daily Republican.

But the prosperity was bound to end. In the grip of the Great Depression, at age 57 and with his business failing, Lantz decided to close his store. He did so the day before Thanksgiving 1933. Some of the inventory from the store was taken for storage into the garage building behind their home. He once gave an inexpensive pocket watch to his eldest grandson Odger "Wayne" Miner.



Lantz in Weslaco, TX with his fruit trees (left) and in front of a store-room on Texas Boulevard.


Following retirement, Lantz then decided to invest in a 43-acre fruit farm in Weslaco, Hidalgo County, TX, and possibly to open another store there. He originally became interested in this venture, along with three or four friends including the mayor of Washington, after a group of Texas investors came to Washington promoting the opportunity. Much of the tract was swampy, and when traveling to Texas to inspect his purchase, the train intentionally was scheduled to pass through at night so he and the others would not see the problem. Another time, in daylight, an impromptu prayer meeting was held on the train so that the men's eyes would be closed at the time they passed.


Obituary, 1950

He, Maude and daughter Mildred drove to Weslaco in January 1935 to view the property. Thereafter, he went to the farm each year from January through April, leaving Washington right after Christmas. He is said to have built a  three-room house there for his Mexican-born overseer. He also purchased a store-room on Texas Boulevard opposite the Ritz Theatre, measuring 25 ft. wide by 90 ft. deep. In all, he owned the farm for 29 years, raising cotton, grapefruit and oranges, and tomatoes, each in its own growing season. The farm never really produced much of value, and Lantz sold the surface area before he died, although maintained the mineral rights. In 1978, with no oil and gas activity on the property, the heirs finally sold those rights as well.

He spent his winters at the Weslaco Hotel. In February 1940, in an attempt to find tenants for his store building. In a classified advertisement in the Brownsville (TX) Herald, he offered to rent the building for a year or longer. Also signing the ad was Y.P. Yarbrough of the Ritz Theatre Building.

Lantz increasingly suffered from asthma in his later years. He often took breathing treatments in his bedroom, with his grandchildren never failing to smell the awful odor of his inhalant. Some thought he actually was breathing in marijuana smoke. Over the last four years of his life, the decline in his health also included kidney disease, hardening of the arteries and an enlarged prostate. With his urinary flow obstructed, he underwent "suprapubic cystostomy" surgery in 1947 to create an opening in the bladder.


Maude's last Christmas, at home, 1958

He passed away on April 8, 1950, just five days after his 74th birthday. Their longtime pastor Rev. John W. Love preached the funeral service, followed by interment in the Ullom plot in Washington Cemetery.

Maude survived her husband by nine years. She remained active and enjoyed visits with her daughters and son, and her eight grandchildren.

During that time, however, tragedy struck when her son Reynol, who was married with two sons, and a public accountant in Delaware, Ohio, contracted cancer, and died at the age of 48, on Jan. 12, 1958.

At the age of 80, having suffered a heart attack after two decades of hypertension, Maude was admitted to Washington Hospital. She passed away there on Oct. 22, 1959. Following a funeral led by Rev. Peter M. Macko, she was laid to rest beside her husband in the Ullom plot in Washington Cemetery. 

In the years following Maude's death, their unmarried daughter Mildred continued to remain in their home. She eventually married, to Raymond E. Day, and they hosted many family gatherings there until the house finally was sold out of the family in about 1978.



Above, the Ullom daughters, L-R: Thelma, Mildred, Monalea. Below, son Reynol (back row, center) and daughter Monalea (next to him, right), and future son in law Odger Miner (seated, right) beside Mildred Ullom at summer classes at Bethany College, West Virginia, circa 1926.


Copyright 2014-2015, 2017, 2019 Mark A. Miner