He apparently was born several months after his father's death in 1790. The early years of his life otherwise are opaque to us, other than that Nicholas Wyker was appointed guardian for Abraham and his sister Mary in Bucks County Orphans Court in November 1794. His identity is confirmed in a Bucks County deed which states that "Abraham Youngkin & Mary Overholt, late Youngkin now the wife of Isaac Overholt. Abraham & Mary are children of Abraham Youngkin late of Tinicum Twn. Harman Youngkin by will 1788 bequeathed to his son Abraham who died." [Deed Book 41, page 280]
Then as Ohio opened to more orderly, safe settlement, he made his way there by 1811, when he would have been 20 years of age.
On Nov. 6, 1811, when Abraham would have been about age 21, and living in or near Marietta, Washington County, OH, he married Sarah "Sally" Montgomery (1798- ? ), of Maryland. She was two years older than he. The nuptials were conducted by Stephen Lindsly of Washington County, OH.
The couple went on to bear these eight known children -- Adaline Eliza Younkin, Marietta Porterfield, Susanna "Susan" Beeson, John M. Youngkin, Sarah Annette Byal, Robert McNeal Younkin, Hall [Harold?] Younkin, Henry Clay Younkin and Dr. Jerome Wilson "J.W." Younkin.
When the federal census enumeration was made in 1820, the young family dwelled in Hocking Township, Fairfield County, OH. From there the couple settled in the burgeoning town of Lancaster, Fairfield County, where he acquired lot 10 in town from Abraham Ruger in 1821.
The Younkins were plunged into grief at the death of their son John on Dec. 30, 1821, with burial taking place in the Old Methodist Cemetery in Lancaster.
When a Presbyterian Church was constructed in 1822-1823, Abraham traded tailoring services in return for a $10 credit as a subscriber to the fund. This was recorded in Charles M.L. Wiseman's 1898 book Centennial History of Lancaster, Ohio, and Lancaster People. Abraham is known to have taken on an indentured servant, 16-year-old Joel Todd, ward of Robert Todd. The length of the term was to be four years and two months, to commence on Oct. 29, 1825.
Sarah underwent an adult baptism in Lancaster on Nov. 20, 1826. A record was kept in the church records and preserved by the Presbyterian Historical Society in Philadelphia, PA. The seven eldest offspring together were given the rite of baptism in the Presbyterian Church in Lancaster on May 10, 1828. Son Jerome then was baptized in the same church on April 8, 1831.
The U.S. Census of 1830 shows that 12 people lived under the Younkins' roof in Fairfield County.
Abraham joined the Masonic lodge in Lancaster. Among the other members were Gotlieb Steinman, John Noble, Thomas H. Cushing and George Sanderson.
In 1846, Abraham was a charter member of the Hancock Lodge of the International Order of Odd Fellows.
When the federal census was taken in Findlay in 1850, Abraham and Sarah headed a household which also included physician Jesse Beeson, his wife Susan, their children Sarah and Jerome, and 20-year-old Mary Stuart.
On Oct. 22, 1852, a charter was granted to form a Masons lodge in Findlay, with Abraham as an original member and holding the initial office of Master. Others in the original group were Abel F. Parker, Edwin Parker, David Patton, J.M. Coffinberry, George Arnold, Adolphus Morse, E.S. Reed and C.B. Wilson. The lodge grew, and Abraham helped obtain another charter to form a Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, where he held the office of King. Said Daniel B. Beardsley's 1881 book History of Hancock County From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, "The chapter has always held its meetings in same room with the Lodge. Its membership is now about forty."
Abraham was elected Mayor of Findlay serving during the 1847-1852 period, succeeded by George W. Galloway. He also maintained his tailor business during that time, as shown in the 1850 U.S. Census enumeration. In 1850, physician Jesse Beeson and his wife Susan and their children lived in the Younkin household in Findlay, also with 20-year-old Mary Stuart.
The Younkins appear to have made a move during the 1850s to Putnam County, OH. There, Sarah died at the age of 69 on Aug. 13, 1858. Her remains were lowered under the sod of Harman Cemetery in Gilboa, Putnam County. A stone was erected that is legible today.
The widowed Abraham then moved into the household of his married daughter Adaline Van Pelt in Washington, Fayette County, OH. There, he worked as a clerk as shown in the U.S. Census of 1860.
Then in 1870, census records show that at the age of 79, he was living in the residence of his married grandson William Henry and Nancy Van Pelt in Hartsgrove, Ashtabula County, OH.
Possibly during the decade of the 1870s, he moved to Texas to reside with his married daughter Susan Beeson and family in Lavaca County, TX. He is shown in the Beesons' household in 1880, at the age of 90, with his occupation shown as "Farmer."
He died in the home of his married daughter Susan Beeson in Big Brushy, TX on June 24, 1881. His gravesite seems to be lost to history. A short obituary stated that he was aged 90 years, three months and six days and that he "leaves a large circle of friends and relatives to mourn his loss. He had been a member of the Masonic society for nearly seventy years, and had taken nearly every degree in that order." The obituary was preserved by his direct descendant Kenneth Collins of Ponca City, OK.
Abraham is named in the 1910 book by Jacob A. Kimmell, Twentieth Century History of Findlay and Hancock County Ohio and Representative Citizens, and in the 1961 book by William Depue Humphrey, Findlay: The Story of a Community.
In its edition of Sept. 6, [year?] the Lancaster Eagle-Gazette named Abraham as one of Lancaster's original settlers in Square 12 on the south side of Mulberry Hill.
Abraham was profiled and pictured in an article by his direct descendant Della M. Shafer in the July-August-September 1992 edition of the Younkin Family News Bulletin, published by the late Donna (Younkin) Logan.
~ Daughter Adaline Eliza (Younkin) Van Pelt ~
Daughter Adaline Eliza Younkin (1812-1899) was born in October 1812 in Lancaster, Fairfield County, OH.
She was baptized with six of her siblings on May 10, 1828, in the Presbyterian Church in Lancaster, at the age of 16.
When she was 18 years of age, on May 25, 1830, she was joined in wedlock with John Van Pelt (April 22, 1808-1880), a native of New Jersey. The wedding was held in Lancaster.
Together, the pair is believed to have borne Sarah Jane Young, William Henry Van Pelt, John Randolph Van Pelt, Mary Ellen "Mollie" Parvin, Charles Abraham Van Pelt, Mary Louisa Brown, James B. Van Pelt, Jesse Beeson Van Pelt, Katherine Elmer "Katie" Van Pelt and Emma Smith.
The federal censuses of 1850 and 1860 show the Van Pelts in Washington Court House, Fayette County, OH. John earned a living as a grocer, assisted by his son John in 1860. Adaline's widowed father lived under their roof in 1860.
By 1870, the family had relocated to Saybrook, Ashtabula County, OH, where John had turned to farming as his occupation. Then in 1874, they pulled up stakes and moved to Cedar Rapids, Linn County, IA, where John established a grocery store.
John dropped dead in his store on Jan. 5, 1880, in Cedar Rapids. The Sioux City Journal reported that the cause was heart disease. Burial was in Cedar Rapids' Oak Hill Cemetery. In his last will and testament, written in 1875, he bequeathed his estate to his widow.
The U.S. Census for 1880 shows Adaline and her unmarried son John, age 44, living in a residence in Cedar Rapids.
Death enveloped her back in Ashtabula County in 1899. Interment was in Saybrook Cemetery.
Daughter Sarah Jane Van Pelt (1830- ? ) was born in about 1830 in Ohio. At the age of 20, in 1850, she lived with her parents in Washington Court House, Fayette County, OH. It is possible that on Oct. 23, 1854, in Fayette County, she first married Simeon C. Ellis ( ? - ? ), although this needs to be confirmed. By 1875, she had entered into marriage with (?) Young ( ? - ? ).
Son William Henry Van Pelt (1833-1913) was born in about 1833. On May 6, 1868, at the age of 35, he married Nancy Quigley (Dec. 27, 1835-1918). The wedding took place in Hartsgrove Township, Ashtabula County, OH, by the hand of Rev. Z.S. Arnold. There were three known sons of this union -- John Edwin "Ed" Van Pelt, George Van Pelt an a son who died in infancy. In 1870, this couple lived in Hartsgrove, Ashtabula County, OH, with William's aged, widowed grandfather residing in their household. In time, in 1886, they migrated further west to Kansas, settling in northeast Great Bend, Barton County. Nancy is known to have entertained an extended visit from a sister in the summer of 1898, with the sister returning home to Ohio in late August. Then at the death of Nancy's sister Elizabeth Quigley, in January 1906, the funeral service was held in the Van Pelt home in Great Bend. The Van Pelts in the late summer of 1908 hosted a visit from Nancy's niece, Anna Quigley, who was en route from Ohio to her home in Rock Ford, CO. The couple marked their 51st wedding anniversary in May 1909. A related story in the Great Bend Tribune said that they lived four miles north of town and that he had "made a pleasant call to this office. W.H. has a record. He has lived in this country over 20 years and yet has stayed at home so well that he knows only a very few men either in town or county." William fell and fractured his hip in late 1910 but recovered sufficiently enough to be out and about with the use of crutches. In their final years they resided part time in a house they had bought in Great Bend but mostly with their son Ed in a separate residence. They belonged to the Presbyterian Church. Sadly, he passed away at the age of 79 on Jan. 23, 1913. Burial was in Great Bend Cemetery. A preliminary obituary in the Barton County Democrat noted that he "was one of the pioneers here..." Funeral services were delayed by two days so that a grandson could travel from Ohio to be at the rites. Nancy lived for another five years as a widow. From the effects of a heart valve leakage, she died suddenly at the age of 82 years, seven months and one day. In an obituary, the Tribune said that for a number of years, she "had been in feeble health, troubled with occasional sick spells, but was not considered as being in a dangerous condition... Mrs. Van Pelt was a kind, christian woman, a loving and devoted wife and mother and those who knew her loved her. She was of a retiring nature and the younger generation did not have the pleasure of her acquaintance but the earlier settlers knew and appreciated the sterling qualities of herself and her husband."
Son John Randolph Van Pelt (1835- ? ) was born in about 1835. Unmarried at the age of 25, in 1860, he lived at home in Washington Court House, Fayette County and assisted his father in a grocery business. He is believed to be the same J.R. Van Pelt who, in June 1867, announced in the Fayette County Herald that he and partners M. Draper and S.W. Cissna had opened a new grocery store "at the old store room of M. Draper, on court street." He eventually relocated cross-country to Cedar Rapids, IA, where he opened a grocery business, joined by his brother Charles in November 1870. In 1879, he is known to have visited his uncle Dr. Robert McNeal Youngkin at his home in Florence, KS. The 1880 federal census enumeration shows John at age 44, in Cedar Rapids, sharing a home with his mother, and marked as a "retired merchant."
Daughter Mary Ellen "Mollie" Van Pelt (1836-1895?) was born in about 1836. She was united in matrimony with Uriah H. Parvin (Jan. 1 or 14, 1839-1917). Their known daughters were Adeline A. "Addie" Parvin and Carrie Parvin. During the Civil War, Uriah joined the Union Army and was assigned to the 22nd Ohio Infantry, Company F, enlisting on April 20, 1861, just eight days after the war erupted at Fort Sumter. His three-month term of service ended on Aug. 19, 1861. Later, he joined the 114th Ohio Infantry, Company C. He was a musician/drummer with his regiments, and is known to have suffered from sunstroke in the line of duty. At one time they lived in a house facing Main Street in his hometown ofWashington Court House, Fayette County, OH. Uriah was a tailor and advertised his services in "fashionable tailoring" in the Fayette County Herald in 1867-1868. In the 1870s, he was a member of the bucket team of the Reliance Fire Engine Hook and Ladder and Hose Company in town. He was named in the gossip columns of the Herald during the Christmas season of 1877 when giving the editors a copy of the Cedar Rapids Times and Cedar Rapids Daily Republican. The Parvins are known to have hosted Mary Ellen's single sister Kate in July 1878, visiting from Cedar Rapids. Grief cascaded over the family when daughter Carrie became stricken with membranous croup and died at the age of about seven on Oct. 20, 1879. A one-sentence notice of her demise was printed in the Herald. When Mary Ellen's father died in Cedar Rapids in January 1880, she was named in a short obituary in the Herald. Uriah on June 14, 1880 was awarded a military pension in recognition of his Civil War service. [Invalid App. #380.090 - Cert. #282.211] Sadly, Mary Ellen reputedly died on or about Christmas Day 1895 at Washington Court House. Uriah outlived his bride by more than two decades and continued to ply his trade as a tailor. In 1900, he and his unmarried daughter resided together in Washington Court House. Sadly, she died in 1903. He was strick down by cerebral paralysis and at the age of 78 passed away on June 6, 1917 in Mount Sterling, Madison County, OH. Minnie White of Mount Sterling was the informant for his official Ohio death certificate.
Son Charles Abraham Van Pelt (1845-1916) was born in Feb. 1845. He grew up in Washington Court House, Fayette County, OH. During the Civil War, he joined the Union Army and was assigned to the 175th Ohio Infantry, Company D. After the war's end, he was transferred to the 189th Ohio Infantry, Company D. He received his honorable discharge at Nashville in September 1865. After returning home, he immediately moved to Ashtabula County, OH. Then at the age of 25, in November 1870, he migrated to Iowa to join his older brother John in a grocery business in Cedar Rapids. On Jan. 20, 1874, in Linn County, he wed Mary Jeanette Minor (Aug. 1847- ?). The pair's only known daughter was Carrie Fetsch. They lived in Grand Rapids in 1880, with him employed as a merchant. By 1900, they had migrated to Southern California, where Charles earned a living as a paint salesman in Los Angeles. On Sept. 13, 1905, he was approved to receive a military pension as compensation for his service. [Invalid App. #1.340.219 - Cert. #1.132.347]. With his health in decline in 1906, he entered the Sawtelle Pacific Branch Home for Disabled Veterans in Malibu. He died on Sept. 28, 1916 from the effects of chronic heart disease and was interred in the Home cemetery. A brief death notice appeared in the Los Angeles Times. The widow filed in 1919 to receive his pension, but it was not awarded. [Widow App. #1.147.694] The pension also has a "C" designation - C2487007.
Daughter Mary Louisa "Louise" Van Pelt (1848-1925) was born in April 1848 in Washington Court House, Fayette County, OH. She married blacksmith George L. Brown (Nov. 1840-1911), reputedly an immigrant from Canada or Scotland. Together, they produced nine offspring -- Lillian M. "Lilly" Sager, Adda Amidon, J.R. Brown, William H. Brown, Jennett L. Welch, George W. Brown, Robert E. Brown, Clifford E. Brown and Carrie Brown. The 1880 U.S. Census shows the family on Spruce Street in Ashtabula, with George continuing to labor as a blacksmith. Grief blanketed the family when daughter Carrie died at age three in 1887. As of 1900, the family lived in Saybrook, Ashtabula County, with George's occupation remaining as blacksmith. Louisa succumbed to the spectre of death at the age of 77 on May 7, 1925 in Ashtabula's general hospital. An obituary said she had "been in failing health for everal years and had been confined to the hospital for a number of weeks" and added that she had "long been a resident of Ashtabula." Rev. M. Matheson, pastor of the Prospect Presbyterian Church, led the funeral rites. She sleeps for the ages in Saybrook Cemetery.
Son James B. Van Pelt (1850-1868) was born in 1850. Sadly, he died at age 19 in Saybrook on Oct. 9, 1868. The cause of his untimely passing is not yet known. Burial was in Saybrook Cemetery. A brief notice was printed in the Ashtabula Weekly Telegraph.
Daughter Emma Van Pelt (1851- ? ) was born in about 1851. Single at the age of 19, she lived at home with her parents in 1870 in Saybrook, Ashtabula County, OH. She married (?) Smith ( ? - ? ).
Son Jesse Beeson Van Pelt (1853-1928) was born in on Oct. 2, 1853 or 1854 in Washington Court House, Fayette County, OH. Circa 1880, he was joined in holy wedlock with Indez Parrett (Aug. 3, 1860-1928), also a native of Washington Court House and the daughter of Augustus F. and (?) (Hess) Parrett. The couple's only son was Harry Van Pelt. They made their dwelling-place on West Prospect Street in Ashtabula, and he was employed as a dock engineer and stationery engineer. By 1910, Jesse worked as a hired man in the farming community of Ashtabula. Both husband and wife surrendered to the angel of death in the same year. Having contracted cancer of the stoma ch and intestines, she passed away first, on July 9, in Ashtabula General Hospital. Suffering from bilateral bronchial pneumonia at age 75, he died in Lake County Hospital in Painesville two days before Christmas 1928. The remains were interred in Saybrook Cemetery. Henry Van Pelt of Painesville signed the Ohio death certificate.
Daughter Katherine Elmer "Kate" Van Pelt (1855- ? ) was born in 1855. She was unmarried in 1875-1878 and dwelled in Cedar Rapids, IA. She was named in the gossip columns of the Fayette County Herald of Washington Court House, OH when visiting her married sister Mary Ellen Parvin in July 1878. Her fate after that is not known.
~ Daughter Marietta (Younkin) Porterfield ~
Daughter Marietta Younkin (1814-1905) was born on July 17, 1814. She claimed to have been born in Chillicothe, OH.
On May 10, 1828, in the Presbyterian Church in Lancaster, Fairfield County, OH, the 13-year-old Marietta and six of her siblings were given the rite of Christian baptism.
Then at the age of 27, on Nov. 9, 1841, she was united in holy matrimony with widower Col. William Porterfield (1803-1888) in Hancock County, OH. Rev. Vaneman officiated. The bride was about 10 to 11 years younger than the groom.
William was married once before, on Aug. 14, 1825, to Maria Honn (1807-1840), with the nuptials taking place in Knox County, OH. The combined family of his children were Catherine A. Willoughby, David W. Porterfield, Robert S. Porterfield, Jerome Porterfield, Jonah Porterfield, Edward Porterfield, Clara I. Henry, James Porterfield, Charles Porterfield, S. Newton Porterfield and Robert Porterfield. It will take some sorting-out to determine who's who.
Census records for 1850 show the family in Findlay, with William working as a merchant.
When the federal census enumeration was made in 1860, the Porterfields dwelled on a farm in Blanchard Township, Hardin County, OH, receiving their mail at the Dunkirk post office. Swiss-born Maria Sigler, age 71 and inform, resided in the household that year.
Circa 1864, the family relocated to Nebraska. They first settled in Council Bluffs, where in 1867 through 1869 he was county treasurer. From there they moved to Fremont, Dodge County.
The U.S. Census of 1880 shows William and Marietta and adult sons Jerome and Charles in Fremont, in a home on Fifth Street. William earned a living for a few years as a merchant.
The pair traveled to Council Bluffs in June 1881 to see their son James. Reported the Fremont Weekly Herald, "They will remain to see the Tournament, and then proceed to Ohio to visit the scenes of their early life and see relatives and friends. Mr. Porterfield is now 80 years of age." They returned home in October.
Marietta and William returned to Findlay in the late summer of 1884. While there, they visited with Marietta's brother-in-law, Absalom P. Byal. The Weekly Jeffersonian reported at that time that William "is aged 83 years, but hale and hearty, and in the full enjoyment of all his faculties, except that he is a little hard of hearing."
Again traveling in March 1885, they went to Chicago for a long visit in the home of A.P. Willoughby at Hyde Park. In September 1885, William delivered a historic document to the local newspaper office, a warrant dated Oct. 24, 1744 and issued at Fairfax, VA. The Weekly Herald said that the "document was rescued by one of the colonel's sons at the battle of Fairfax court house and was preserved for its antiquity. The warrant was issued in his majesty's name and the paper, writing and spelling is quaint and peculiar to the age in which it was written 141 years ago.
William suffered from sore muscles and senility toward the end. While shoveling snow in the winter of 1887, he received a sprain which left him confined to the house. He died in April 1888 in the home of his married daughter Clara. The Weekly Herald eulogized that:
Funeral rites were conducted in the family home, led by Rev. Braden.
Marietta lived for another 16 years as a widow, remaining in their East Fifth Street dwelling. She broke her forearm one day in October 1895 when cleaning her house and accidentally stepping into an open hot air register.
After developing pneumonia, she died at the age of 88 on Jan. 15, 1905. An obituary was printed in the Fremont Evening Tribune. The obituary aid she had been a resident of Fremont for the past three decades. Burial took place in Fremont's Ridge Cemetery.
Stepson Samuel "Newton" Porterfield (1826-1897) -- often shortened to "S.N." -- was born in 1826 in Martinsburg, Knox County, OH. He and his brother James migrated to the West Coast, in the California Gold Rush of 1848-1849, working in 1850 as a merchant in Calaveras County, CA. In young manhood he also went to Wisocnsin for a time. In January 1854, at the age of 27, in Bellevue, NE, he was joined in wedlock with Mary D. Hatch (Jan. 8, 1831-1915), a native of Erie, PA. The pair "had the distinction of being the first white couple to be married in the state of Nebraska," said the Council Bluffs Nonpareil. She had come west in 1850 to teach at Bellevue College, south of Omaha, across the river from Iowa. Their brood of offspring included Frank W. Porterfield, F. "Paul" Porterfield, Mark Porterfield and Mary Lucille Bullock. They established a home in Canesville, later renamed Council Bluffs, in April 1854, with Mary joining the Christian Science Church. By 1860, working as a provisions dealer, they dwelled in Council Bluffs, with him continuing in this occupation until the outbreak of the Civil War. In the early 1870s, they moved away from Council Bluffs and ran hotels in Creston and Colfax. In 1870, Newton was listed by the census-taker as a retired miller, and in 1880 as a furniture dealer. After the Colfax hotel building was destroyed in a fire, they migrated to Atlantic, and after a few years came back to Council Bluffs. He coninued in the hotel business, operating the Pacific and Ogden houses. Their dwelling-place was on the corner of First Avenue and Seventh Street. He served a term as county treasurer and two as a city councilman. Mary received a bequest of $800 from the estate of his sister Clara Henry in 1889. They are known to have traveled to Fremont for the funeral of his brother-in-law John C. Henry in June 1880. Circa 1890, he was a ticket taker on the Council Bluffs and Omaha Bridge, employed by the Omaha and Council Bluffs Railway and Bridge Company. When the automobile became commercially available, he went to work for the local motor company in town. Sadly, Newton died at their 707 First Avenue home on Aug. 26, 1897. The Nonpareil said in an obituary that "Council Bluffs loses another well known and respected citizen who has made this city his home for many years. Mr. Porterfield has been ailing for the last eight months and his end was not wholly unexpected. He was one of the oldest residents of the city, having come to Council Bluffs in 1854, when it was little more than a mere village." Mary survived her husband by 18 years. Her final years were spent in the Waterloo residence of her son Frank. There, she died on July 15, 1915. The Nonpareil eulogized that she was a "pioneer resident of Council Bluffs... She was of a very sunny, happy disposition and the family was a favorite with the people of the city."
Stepson James Porterfield (1830-1887) was born in about 1830. In 1850, he made a home with his father and stepmother in Findlay and earned a living as a clerk. He was married. The federal census enumeration of 1860 shows him living next door to his mother and stepfather in Blanchard, Hardin County, OH, and working in the lumber business. He migrated to Nebraska during the 1860s. At one time he lived in Fremont, where in 1871 he announced he was opening his own dry goods business, having withdrawn from his former one, Porterfield & Newman. Later by 1881, he migrated to Council Bluffs. He and his parents are known to have attended the "tournament" in Council Bluffs in June 1881. At the age of 57, he died in Council Bluffs on Aug. 18, 1887. Funeral rites were conducted in the home of his brother S.N. Porterfield at the Bluffs. News of his demise was published in the Fremont Daily Herald. and Council Bluffs Daily Nonpareil, the latter of which said that "a very large concourse of friends of the deceased attended the last sad rites. Rev. G.W. Crofts delivered a touching discourse, and a choir rendered several appropriate selections."
Stepdaughter Catherine A. Porterfield (1834-1892) was born in 1834 in Ohio. She married Alfred Parsons Willoughby (May 12, 1827-1916). He was a native of Hartford, CT. Their home in 1880 was in Davenport, IA. There, he was employed as manager of the Pioneer Relief Association. Then for many years, in the early 1880s and onward, they lived in the Hyde Park section of Chicago, at the address of 4020 Cottage Grove Avenue. They were the parents of Minnie Willoughby, Clara Fowler, Mollie Willoughby and Maud Willoughby. They hosted her parents for a visit in the winter of 1885, as noted in the gossip columns of the Fremont Weekly Herald. Sadly, she became seriously ill in about 1890 and suffered for several years until the end. She died on Feb. 2, 1892, her daughter Clara having traveled from Fremont, NE to be with her. The body was interred in Oak Woods Cemetery in Chicago. As a widower, A.P. moved to Sheffield, IL and was there in 1913. At the age of 87, in August 1913, he is known to have traveled by train to Fremont via Omaha, and then when a hotel was not available, convinced a friend to take him on to the Fowler home. Said the Fremont Herald, "Mr. Willoughby seems to take keenest delight in travel and perpetrating happy surprises upon his relatives." A.P. died on Jan. 20, 1916. The funeral was held in the Fowlers' residence on Nye Avenue, with burial in Ridge Cemetery.
Son Robert Shannon Porterfield (1842-1914) was born on Nov. 30, 1842 in Ohio. He served in the Union Army during the Civil War as a member of the 82nd Ohio Infantry, Company G. He mustered into the army on Nov. 12, 1861 and remained until discharge on Jan. 2, 1865. His whereabouts in 1870, when the United States Census was taken, has not yet been ascertained. On June 3, 1874, in Tippecanoe, Lafayette County, IN, at the age of 31, he was united in the bonds of holy matrimony with 22-year-old Mary B. Flynn (Sept. 20, 1851-1921), a native of Utica, NY who grew to adulthood in Lafayette. Two known sons in this family were David Clarence Porterfield, born in Indiana, and Robert Rex Porterfield, born in Colorado. When the federal census enumeration was made in 1880, the family was living on a farm in Nebraska in Cedar Township, Saunders County. At that time, 20-year-old Henry Schuyler lived under their roof and provided farm labor. Mary is known to have received a bequest of $500 from the estate of Robert's sister Clara Henry in 1889. On Aug. 8, 1890, in Nebraska, he was awarded a military pension. [Invalid App. #865.467 - Cert. #972.943] In about 1890, the family migrated to Chicago and then in about 1898 Robert became employed as a ticket agent and expressman by the United States Express Company. Robert was active with army veterans and held a membership in the Grand Army of the Republic, George Meade Post 444. Their address in 1914 was 5530 Ellis Avenue. Sadly, he died at home at the age of 71 on July 11, 1914. A one-paragraph obituary appeared in the Chicago Tribune, which reported that he "came to Chicago twenty-four years ago..." Burial was in the Spring Vale Cemetery in LaFayette. The widowed Mary then petitioned to receive her late spouse's pension, and it was granted. [Widow App. #1.036.188 - Cert. #787.901] She survived her spouse by seven years. She surrendered to the angel of death in her residence at the age of 67 on May 15, 1921. Her obituary in the Lafayette Journal and Courier said she was the "sister of David H. Flynn" and that her "demise was caused by a complication of diseases." The body was transported to Lafayette for interment in Spring Vale.
Son Jerome Porterfield (1845-1912) was born on July 24, 1845 in Findlay, OH. He was a lifelong bachelor, In 1867, he accompanied his parents in a move to Council Bluffs, IA and in 1870 to Fremont, NE. At the age of 34, in 1880, he lived with his parents in Fremont and earned a living as a livestock dealer. He also was an implement dealer in partnership with his nephew Rex Henry. Said the Fremont Tri-Weekly Tribune:
At the death of his married sister Clara Henry, Jerome in 1889 received a bequest of $3,000 from the estate. He made news in 1893 when traveling to What Cheer, IA to superintend construction of an opera house under contract to Oliver Smith. He often spent his summers at Hot Springs, AR, and held memberships in the local lodge of the Eagles. Having resided in Fremont for more than four decades, many in the same household as his nephew, he died from the effects ot an "arterial ailment" on April 17, 1912. Funeral services were held in their home, led by Rev. W.H. Frost, with interment in Ridge Cemetery. His brother Robert traveled from Chicago to attend the rites.
Daughter Clara I. Porterfield (1848-1889) was born on April 22, 1848 in Ohio. She entered into marriage with John C. Henry (1844-1880), son of Andrew Henry and a native of Tompkins County, NY. They were the parents of an only son, John "Rex" Henry. John was a cattleman in Fremont, considered the local "cattle king." In addition to his duties herding his stock, he also made business trips in May 1878 to Oregon and Washington Territory. He made news in 1878 when traveling to Chicago via railroad with 14 carloads of cattle, with the Fremont Daily Herald saying "This is only a small per cent of the cattle he will ship this season." Early in 1880, he traveled to Oregon with Lee and Blewett to launch a drive of several thousand head of cattle to Nebraska. Then in May 1880, he went to their ranch near North Platte, while Clara stopped in Columbus to see relatives. He told friends that he expected to gather together 6,000 head of cattle during the annual spring roundup. The event took place near Finch's Ranche, on the south Loop at the mouth of Ash Canyon, about 50 or 60 miles north of Willow Island. Grief cascaded over the family when the 36-year-old John was cut away by the angel of death on June 12, 1880. The Columbus Journal reported that, while with his brother Robert cutting out their cattle from a larger herd, with his horse in a gallop on the range:
Funeral services were held at the Occidental Hotel in Fremont. The Weekly Herald eulogized that "In the death of John C. Henry, this community especially, and the State at large, loses on of its most worthy citizens, and a true-hearted and honorable man." Clara published a card of thanks in the Weekly Herald, expressing her "grateful acknowledgement for the universal kindness and sympathi extended by the citizens of Fremont to them in their bereavement." She outlived her spouse by nine years. Clara supervised the installation of a large, Vermont hurricane granite marker in Ridge Cemetery at her husband's grave. It was said to be a square shaft some six feet in height, with a heavy base and highly polished faces. Produced in Omaha, at a cost of $1,200, it was said to be "one of the handsomeest among several other very fine monuments in Ridge Cemetery, which has been much improved in the past year," noted the Weekly Herald. In January 1884, her niece Clara Willoughby came from Hyde Park in Chicago to spend the winter. In January 1887, she returned to Findlay for a visit, and in July 1888 went to Hyde Park to see her sister (?) Willoughby. She became dangerously ill in in late 1888 and became somewhat of an invalid, seeking medical relief which never came. She traveled to Chicago in May 1889, with the news printed in the gossip columns of the Fremont newspaper. Thanks to a special act of kindness from local railroad freight agent Morehouse, she came back home in a special car in July 1889, but her health was still poor. She died at the age of 41 years, four months and 29 days on Sept. 20, 1889. Funeral services, by the hand of Rev. N.H.G. Fife of the Presbyterian Church, "were simple but impressive," said the Tri-Weekly Tribune. "A number of beautiful floral tributes were sent in by friends. The procession was a very long and imposing one." Burial was in Fremont's Ridge Cemetery. Among those traveling to attend were Mr. and Mrs. A. Henry of Omaha, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Henry and children of Columbus, NE, Dr. and Mrs. Porterfield from Atlantic, IA, Mary Porter of Council Bluffs, IA, Viola Coffin of Omaha and Mr. and Mrs. K.C. Morehouse, also of Omaha.
Son Edward Porterfield (1848- ? ) was born in about 1848. Nothing more is known.
Son Charles E. Porterfield (1851-1914) was born in Feb. 1851 in Findlay, OH. A bachelor in 1880, he resided with his parents in Fremont, NE and earned a living as a stock herder. Charles first entered into marriage with (?). They resided in Norfolk, NE and in June 1887 endured the tragic death of his father-in-law, killed while herding near Rapid City. Charles' parents are known to have traveled from Fremont to Norfolk for the funeral. In 1889, following the death of his married sister Clara Henry, he received a bequest of $3,000 from the estate. Charles migrated to the Pacific Northwest and in 1892 was in Seattle. Circa 1894, Charles at the age of 43 wed a second time to 18-year-old Florence M. (Jan. 1876- ? ). They were a quarter century apart in age. The pair put down roots in in Seattle, with him employed as a railroad clerk in 1900. He is known to have returned to Fremont to visit his brother Jerome in June 1905. Their address in 1906 was 3050 First Avenue. Charles is believed to have relocated to Tacoma by 1910. After contracting pneumonia, he was admitted to Pierce County Hospital in Tacoma, and died there on Nov. 29, 1914, at the age of 64. His death certificate gave his occupation as accountant and birthplace as Ohio but did not name his parents. Burial was in the county's pauper cemetery in Tacoma.
~ Daughter Susan (Younkin) Beeson ~
Daughter Susan Younkin (1819-1907) was born on April 24, 1819 in Ohio.
On May 10, 1828, in the Presbyterian Church in Lancaster, Fairfield County, OH, she and six of her siblings were given the rite of Christian baptism.
In 1842, she was joined in matrimony with Dr. Jesse Beeson (June 9, 1813-1884), a native of Columbiana County, OH.
Together, the pair produced two known daughters -- Sarah M. Atkinson and Irene Dodd.
As a teenager, he "learned the printer's trade and worked for a small newspapeer near his home county," said the book Daughters of the Republic of Texas. Prior to marriage, in 1836, Jesse reputedly served in Col. Wilson's Regiment during the Texas Revolution.
The United States Census of 1850 shows the Beeson family living under the roof of Susan's parents in Findlay, with Jesse earning a living as a physician. Later, they lived in Van Buren, OH.
Then in 1856, the family relocated to Fon du Lac, WI, remaining a year. They pulled up stakes and moved to Texas in 1857 and settled in Lavaca, Lavaca County. The 1860 federal census shows Jesse continuing to practice medicine in the new location. He also is said to have been an adventurer and publisher. As such, they were considered by the Houston Post among "the early settlers in this part of Texas." The census of 1880 lists the Beesons in Lavaca, and Susan's elderly, widowed father in the household.
Interestingly, Jesse and an "S. Yonkin" are named as the only two physicians in the town of Hope, Lavaca County, TX as shown in the 1886 Medical and Surgical Directory of the United States. Their nephew, Dr. John Abraham Youngkin, also practiced in Lavaca County circa 1897-1898.
Sadly, Jesse died on Feb. 11, 1884 in Hope, Lavaca County.
Susan outlived him by 23 years. Said the Post, "She was a consistent member of the Presbyterian church and lived a noble, Christian life."
She died in the residence of her married daughter Irene Dodd in Yoakum, TX at the age of 87 on Jan. 30, 1907. News of her demise was published in the Postand the Waco Times-Herald. Another obituary said "We 'stand up before that hoary head' and so honor to that 'crown of glory' which was ever 'found in the way of righteousness'."
Daughter Sarah M. Beeson (1844-1892) was born in about 1844 in Ohio. She tied the knot with William Patton ( ? - ? ).
Daughter Irene Beeson (1846-1928) was born on Aug. 11, 1846 in Ohio. She wed Thomas McKendree Dodd ( ? - ? ) and in 1907 resided in Yoakum, TX. Her final address for eight years was on Beaumont Road in Orange County, TX. There, stricken with pneumonia and influenza, she died on April 12, 1928, at the age of 81. H.M. Tippett of Orange, TX signed the death certificate, with burial takign place on Yoakum, TX.
~ Daughter Sarah Annette (Younkin) Byal ~
Daughter Sarah Annette Younkin (1823-1865) was born on May 8, 1823 in Lancaster, Fairfield County, OH.
On May 10, 1828, in the Presbyterian Church in Lancaster, Fairfield County, OH, she and six of her siblings were given the rite of Christian baptism.
In 1840, as a teenager, she migrated with her parents to Findlay, OH. Then on Nov. 12, 1843, at the age of 20, she joined the Presbyterian Church of Findlay on a professional of religion "during a communion season of precious interest," wrote her former pastor, "R.H.H.," published in the Findlay Jeffersonian.
On Sept. 25, 1845, she was united in matrimony with Col. Absalom P. Byal (June 19, 1821-1911), a native of Stark County, OH.
The known children born to this couple were Clara E. Byal, Sarah Catherine "Kate" Carlin, William A. Byal and Ida Hercilia Bradner plus an infant daughter who died in 1851.
During that first era of marriage, the 1845-1846 timeframe, Absalom is known to have hauled wheat to what today is Sandusky, OH, receiving as pay a bushel of corn for a bushel of wheat transported. He later remembered that "I afterward engaged to furnish wheat to parties in Carey," said the Jeffersonian. "The price ran up to $1.00 a bushel, but I could not haul it for the mud. I bought a hog that weighed 400 pounds for $7.00. I also bought a pair of very fine horses for $110.00. If there had been a Railroad here, they would have been worth more than double that sum."
As sheriff in 1847, he led a jury of six men to appraise a corridor of land from Findlay to Carey, where the first railroad eventually would be constructed.
The federal census enumeration of 1850 lists the Byals in Findlay, with him employed as a clerk with the "C.C.P." (Court of Common Pleas). That year, Catharine Jane Henderson, age 14, and William Snyder, age 15, lived in the household. Under a new constitution of 1851, the clerk's position was changed from appointed to elected, and he left to study law. Judge Thurman of the state supreme court admitted him to practice law in about 1852 and he worked in this field for five years, until 1857, when he devoted himself to full-time farming.
Absalom's occupation in 1860, as shown in the U.S. Census, was farmer. He was active with the Hancock County Agricultural Society and in 1859 was elected vice president. He appears to have served with the Society for decades. He also was an officer of the local lodge of the Masons. The family relcoated into Findlay in 1861, purchasing a town lot north of Front Street on a property on the east side of Main Street. He held onto this lot until 1868 when selling it to Gen. M.B. Walker and then buying a farm on the Lima Road, where he eventually "built a fine residence and embellished the grounds with groves and shrubbery, until it is one of the handsomest homes in Hancock County."
Sadly, at the age of 42 years and 13 days, Sarah died following a short illness in Findlay on May 21, 1865. In her obituary in the Jeffersonian, "R.H.H." said that "as she came near her departure, she calmly took leave of her husband and dear children, expressing the assurance that the Savior was with her. 'Her end was peace'." Burial was in Maple Grove Cemetery. Her demise occurred just a little over a month after the close of the Civil War.
Absalom in 1867 wed a second time to Sallie P. Maverty (1841-1897), who was a native of Ontario, Canada, then known as "Upper Canada." They are shown together on a farm in the 1870 federal census of Findlay. Sadly, their daughter Nellie, born in 1868, drowned in a well at the age of 2 on May 29, 1871. Their son George F. Byal became a well known farmer.
Absalom also was profiled on three pages of the 1910 book Twentieth Century History of Findlay and Hancock County, Ohio, authored by J.A. Kimmell, MD (Chicago: Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.). The section says that "Few, if any, of the men living in Hancock County today, have been so closely connected with the progress and official affairs of the county as has the Hon. Absolam P. Byall.
In 1869, Absalom was elected president of the Democratic Central Committee of Hancock County and later in the year appointed a viewer of a new country road in the community. He was chosen as chairman in 1870 of the Farmers Club of Hancock County. Among the goals of the new club were to protect against horse thieving and also selection of the best horses for breeding.
Absalom served as a member of the constitutional convention of 1873 that met in Columbus. The Twentieth Century History says they "held sessions until the breaking out of cholera in August of 1872, when it adjourned and reassembled in Cincinnati December 1st of the same year, and remained there until the 15th of May, 1874." According to Wikipedia, the delegates proposed a new constitution with a host of changes. Among them were establishing annual legislative sessions, a gubernatorial veto that could be overridden by a three-fifths vote of each house, creation of state circuit courts, allowing for women to be elected to school boards, and restrictions on municipal debt. They also proposed that circuit courts be established to relieve the case backlog of the Ohio Supreme Court and to allow the licensing of liquor sales. All were voted down.
Absalom and his wife are known to have traveled to Philadelphia in September 1876 to help celebrate the nation's centennial anniversary. He was elected in 1878 as a board director of the Findlay Manufacturing Company.
In December 1883, Absalom is known to have purchased 83 acres in Findlay from seller Samuel J. Fellers for the price of $7,000. He also sold part of his acreage to the county for use as the camp-meeting grounds, which were named the "A.P. Byal Park" in his honor.
He was elected to the Ohio legislature in 1883. Among his initiatives was an amendment to the Ohio liquor laws, which was voted down in the lower house in February 1885. The Twemtieth Century History said that as a legislator, Absalom "displayed great strength of character, and many important measures were entrusted to his care in their passage through the House, not only from his own county but from others as well. His well known integrity and steadfastness called forth the confidence in his honesty and influence to carry a bill to a favorable termination in that body."
He passed away in Findlay at the age of 89 on June 16, 1911. Burial was in Maple Grove Cemetery. An obituary said he was "one of the best known citizens of Hancock county..." He left behind an estate worth an estimated $70,000.
Daughter Sarah Catherine "Kate" Byal (1848-1933) was born on Feb. 21, 1848. At the age of 22, in 1870, she lived at home and was a teacher. On May 1, 1872, in nuptials held in her father's home, she wed Cass Rawson Carlin, MD (Sept. 13, 1846-1884), son of William D. and Harriet E.H. (Rawson) Carlin, MD. The wedding ceremony was conducted by Rev. A.B. Fields and announced in the Findlay Jeffersonian. The couple produced five children -- Carl G. Carlin, Maude Byal Carlin, Claire Rawson Carlin, Claude Byal Carlin and Blanche Carlin. Sadly, son Carl died at the age of three in 1876. Burdened with poor health, he is known in January 1875 to have purchased an apiary (beehives) in Shreveport, LA and moved there for a time. The following winter of 1876, he and J.J. Bradner and family made arrangements to go to Florida to continue to "engage in bee culture," said the Jeffersonian. "May they be prospered." Circa 1882, back in Findlay, Cass made news when he built a new fence around their house at the corner of Lima and Main Streets . He also purchased a ranch in Montana about that time, where he began raising sheep at Miles City. The Carlins all moved there in about 1883. The family was plunged into grief when Cass and their three-year-old son Claude tragically and senselessly were murdered by a posse of lawmen at Christmas 1884. Reported the Fort Benton River Press:
The horrific news was telegraphed to Cass's brother W.L. Carlin in Findlay. An obituary in the Jeffersonian said "His violent death is all the more to be regretted, as the widow will soon again become a mother." A story published in the Cleveland Leader, and reprinted in the Jeffersonian, gave even more details:
The remains were shipped back to Ohio to sleep for the ages in Maple Grove Cemetery in Findlay. The Jeffersonian ran a lengthy story about the funeral:
The desperado, Morris Sullivan, was charged with murder in Custer County. Because the community was so upset with the entire incident, and he likely feared he could not get a fair trial, he asked for a change of venue to Billings. Back in Findlay, the local physicians gathered as a body to give eulogies and create a resolution to be published in the hometown and Miles City newspapers. Very pregnant at the time, Kate remained in Miles City for the birth of their daughter Blanche in January 1885. She then returned to Ohio and subsequently petitioned the Hancock County Probate Court for permission to sell her husband's real estate. Her heartaches were not over. When black diphtheria struck in June 1889, she lost daughters Claire and Blanche a week apart, with burial in Findlay. Daughter Maude also contracted the black diphtheria but recovered with serious handicaps, and Kate spent the rest of her life providing her with constant care. In May 1920, she traveled to California for a vacation, staying with her sister Ida Bradner at the Eleanor Hotel in Long Beach and then going to Pasadena for a week's visit. Her final years were spent at the address of 803 South Main Street. Kate suffered a stroke in the fall of 1933 and lingered for a few months, dying in Findlay at the age of 85 on Nov. 24, 1933. On her official Ohio certificate of death, her mother's maiden name was spelled "Youngkin," as provided by informant Dr. W. Byal of 2602 South Main Street.
Son William A. Byal (1850-1941) was born on June 9, 1850 in Findlay. He earned a living in 1870 as a farm laborer in Findlay and in 1873-1874 served as secretary of the Hancock Grange. On Oct. 7, 1874, he entered into marriage with Eliza Bushnell ( ? - ? ). The nuptials were led by Rev. Dr. Bushnell at the home of the bride's parents in Fremont. Punned the Fremont (OH) Weekly Journal, "We tender our warmest good wishes to the young couple. May their life's journey be a pleasant one. Eliza is a good girl and William is By-al accounts well aware of it." William went on to earn medical and law degrees from Ohio State University. He is known to have purchased an elegant new home in 1887 on Logan Avenue, having"wisely concluded to remain in Findlay permanently in the future," reported the Findlay Weekly Jeffersonian. That same year, he purchased shares in the Findlay LaGrange Rolling Mills with partners Thorp and Andrews. At that time, said the local newspaper, Andrews was "having the machinery made ready for shipment. Some of the lighter machinery was shipped yesterday." Two years later, he purchased a horse-drawn streetcar line in Findlay. Circa 1892, he was admitted to practice law in the state of Ohio but appears to have spent his career practicing medicine in Findlay. Continuing to expand his business interests, he bought an interest in a mine in Colorado and in May 1899 traveled there to Lake City to oversee his investment. William and partners R.K. Davis and Dr. E.B. Brokaw acquired a 36-acre trace in south Main Street in 1913 from William's widowed sister, S. Kate Carlin, with an eye toward organizing a land company. As of 1913, his portfolio also included wholesale hay shipping. His last address was 803 South Main. He died as a widower at the age of 90, having suffered from senility and hardening of the arteries, on Jan. 6, 1941. Charles B. Byal of Upland, IN was the informant for the death certificate.
Daughter Ida Hercilia Byal (1854-1930) was born Jan. 20, 1854 in Findlay, OH. When she was 20 years of age, on Nov. 10, 1874, she tied the marital knot with John James "J.J." Bradner (Oct. 1837-1918), a native of New York. The nuptials were held at the home of Ida's parents, by the hand of Rev. Eben Muse. Together, they produced a brood of at least five -- James P. Bradner, Carrie Graner, Clarence M. Bradner, Don Byal Bradner and one who died prior to 1900. When the federal census enumeration was made in 1880, the family lived in Findlay, next-door to her father and stepmother. That year, John employed as a fanning mill maker. Fanning mills were woode farm implements using a metal crank and wooden hand grip to separate chaff, dirt, dust, straw and weeds from grains such as barley, oats and wheat. The Bradners migrated to Indiana, where in 1900 they dwelled in Franklin, Grant County, with John working as a manufacturer of beekeeping supplies. During the decade between 1900 and 1910, they moved to Marion, Grant County, with John continuing to produce beehives. In time they pushed further to the West Coast and settled in Los Angeles County. Sadly, John died on Feb. 15, 1918 in Altadena, CA. Ida survived as a widow for another dozen years. In 1920, her sister Kate Carlin visited from Findlay, and the two stayed at the Eleanor Hotel in Long Beach. Her final address was 577 North Chester Avenue in Pasadena. As her health failed, she went to San Francisco where her son James was living. The spirit death whisked her away into eternity in San Francisco on Sept. 18, 1930. The San Francisco Examiner and Pasadena Post published obituaries. Their remains sleep for all time in Mountain View Cemetery in Altadena, CA. James P. Bradner was named to administer the estate.
~ Son Dr. Robert McNeal Youngkin ~
On May 10, 1828, in the Presbyterian Church in Lancaster, Fairfield County, OH, he and six of his siblings were given the rite of Christian baptism.
He was twice-wed. His first bride was on April 3, 1849 to Elizabeth Crosser (1828-1857).
One known daughter of the pair was Helen M. McGinnis.
In 1856, they relocated from Lancaster to Mechanicsville, Cedar County, IA.
His second spouse was Elizabeth Ann Conner (1841-1915). Their wedding was held on Dec. 11, 1862 in Mechanicsville.
They produced a daughter of their own, Isola Bell.
While residing in Iowa, said a newspaper, Robert "made a public profession of faith in Christ and united with the Presbyterian church."
They moved in 1874 from Mechanicsville to Florence. Their address was on West Fourth Street.
When the City of Florence held an election for mayor, councilmen and police judge in March 1880, Robert served as one of three judges of the election. He was elcted mayor about that same time.
In August 1899, they endured the death of married daughter Helen McGinnis in Black Hawk, CO. Eulogized the Bulletin, "Her death was a great shock to the entire family, and the father never seemed to regain entirely his wonted health and strength."
He passed away in Florence on April 24, 1904. In an obituary, the Bulletin said that "Although his eath has been momentarily expected for several days, the announcement came as a severe shock to all. Dr. Youngkin was held in high esteem by everyone who knew him and the sorrow for his death is universal. He never knew a sick day in his life until two years ago. Since then he has been in continued ill health." Funeral services were held in the home, led by Rev. C.F. Brause of the Presbyterian church. A vocal quartet provided music, including Florence Miller, May Hancock, Dr. R.A. West and D.F. Hancock.
As a widow, Elizabeth Ann's mental health declined, and by 1909 she was considered "a person of unsound mind."The Probate Court of Marion County assigned her daughter Isola Bell as guardian.
She died at the age of 74 on May 7, 1915. The body was brought to Florence to sleep in the sacred soil of City Cemetery, with Rev. Hamilton leading graveside rites. An obituary was printed in the Bulletin.
Daughter Helen M. Youngkin (1852-1899) was born on Sept. 5, 1852 in Ohio. In April 1875, she married John McGinnis (1848-1928). Their wedding was conducted in Florence, Marion County, KS. Known children in this family were Mollie M. Young, Judson McGinnis, Wade Baker McGinnis, John Francis Mcginnis and Russell Harding McGinnis. Their residence in 1889 was in El Dorado, KS. They migrated to Colorado, settling in Black Hawk, Gilpin County, where he had obtained employment as an agent with the Colorado and Southern Railroad. In this capacity, he was responsible for shipments large quantities of concentrates and smelting ore. In the month of November 1899 alone, he registered 289 cars to the smelters of Denver, representing 5,317 tons. Some of the material alternately was shipped to smelters at Idaho Springs. He also sold passenger tickets, including 200 at Christmas 1899, all bound for Denver. Sadly, stricken with pneumonia at the age of 46, and with her parents having arrived for a visit a day or two earlier, Helen died in Black Hawk on Aug. 7, 1899. The remains were transported to Kansas, accompanied by the widower and children, for burial in Hillcrest Cemetery in Florence. An obituary was published in the Florence Bulletin.
Daughter Isola Youngkin (1864-1955) was born on March 24, 1864 in Mechanicsville, IA. When she was about age 10, she accompanied her parents and sister in a move to Florence, KS. In June 1889, in nuptials held in her parents' home, she wed Allen Hervey Bell (1863-1934). Rev. W.D. Patton presided. In announcing the marriage, the Florence Herald and Walnut Valley (KS) Times of El Dorado said "Well, the fraternity of the 'Brotherhood of Bachelors' has lost one of its most valued members, he having deserted their ranks, and became a Benedit at about noon last Sabbath, however, no one was greatly surprised at this, as many of the friends of the contracting parties were anticipating such a climax for some time... The bridegroom is an honest, industrious and estimable young gentlemn, and well worthy of the heart and hand of the fair young lady, while the bride is an amiable, kind and industrious lady, and we here congratulate Mr. Bell in his selection of a life companion." The Bells lived in Fairview, OK before returning to Florence in 1911. Together, they produced a brood of three -- Harry Earl Bell, Ellena Marguerite Collins and Dorothy Youngkin Bell. Isola held a membership in the First Methodist Church, Order of Eastern Star, White Shrine and Twentieth Century Club. Her final home was in Wichita, KS, with her daughter Dorothy, at the address of 504 South Elizabeth. She died in Wesley Hospital at the age of 91 on May 25, 1955. She was pictured in her obituary in the Wichita Beacon.
~ Son Hall [Harold?] Younkin ~
Son Hall [Harold?] Younkin ( ? - ? ) was born on (?).
On May 10, 1828, in the First Presbyterian Church in Lancaster, Fairfield County, OH, he and six of his siblings were given the rite of Christian baptism.
Nothing more about his life is known.
~ Son Henry Clay Younkin ~
He reputedly grew up learning the tailor trade from his father in Findlay, OH.
On May 10, 1828, in the First Presbyterian Church in Lancaster, Fairfield County, OH, he and six of his siblings were given the rite of Christian baptism.
Henry entered into marriage in 1849 with Elizabeth Shafer (1827-1910).
They became the parents of two -- Dr. John Abraham "J.A." Youngkin and Josiah Shafer Youngkin.
The couple migrated to Texas, arriving in old Indianola, TX on Dec. 3, 1859. They first lived in the small village of Hope, where Henry taught school, and their son JOhn became a trail driver. Later, they moved to the town of Yoakum, Lavaca County. There, he served in Texas Militia and was appointed to the rank of colonel by Gov. Edmond J. Davis.
Henry circa 1870 was elected as one of three elected representatives of the 25th District of Texas. Later that year, he is known to have voted "yea" to an amendment to an educational bill, that "nothing contained in this section shall be construed as requiring or authorizing the mixture of the races in any public free school of this State; but separate equal and uniform in every respect, shall be established for the races respectively."
Then in 1884 he is believed to have been appointed postmaster for the town of Antioch, TX.
Their final years were spent in Hallettsville, TX. There, at the home of their son John, they marked their golden wedding anniversary in 1899. At that time, said the Victoria Advocate, the pair "have lived more than the allotted three score years and ten and are hale and hearty."
Henry passed away on Oct. 20, 1909, in Yoakum, at the age of 82.
Many years later, their direct descendants Melvin and Della Shafer of Haysville, KS shared their genealogical research for publication in the Younkin Family News Bulletin, including a biography of Abraham Younkin, a newsletter edited by the late Donna (Younkin) Logan.
Son Dr. John Abraham "J.A." Youngkin Sr. (1850-1928) was born in 1850. At the age of nine, in 1859, he migrated to Texas with his parents and first arrived at old Indianola. At the age of 19, in aboui 1869, he "went up the old trail" as a trail driver and later joined the Old Trail Drivers Association. He completed his education in the local country school and then obtained a medical degree in 1876 from Tulane University. Circa 1874, John was joined in wedlock with Pauline Dorothy Arnim (1859-1952). Their nuptials were held in Hallettsville, TX, and their union endured for a remarkable 54 years. They produced a brood of these offspring -- Josiah Shafer "Si" Youngkin, Elizabeth Louise Bryan, Francis Marion Youngkin, John Abraham Youngkin Jr., Robert Henry Youngkin, Pearl Howerton, Birdie Grace Majors, Albert Arnim Youngkin and Clay Youngkin. He first practiced medicine in Antioch, TX before moving to Sweet Home after the railroad was built. John and his brother Josiah became partners in the 1880s of "Youngkin Bros." located in Sweet Home. Their firm sold drugs, medicines, chemicals, paints, oils and varnishes in addition to brushes, stationery and toilet articles. From there he moved to Yoakum, TX, and was considered a pioneer of that community, one of the first settlers. He helped to found the Yoakum National Bank as a stockholder and circa 1898 also owned cattle.His name was in the news in Corpus Christi in 1904 when summoned to treat the dying Mrs. Lerick, who had been horifically burned by an exploding can of kerosene in her home. By 1906, he was living in Austin, and told an American-Statesman reporter about the old days in town, "when Austin was a mere village. [He] remembeered the time when the people had to cross the Colorado river over a pontoon bridge, way back in 1868. He said that Austin was comparatively in its infancy then and far from the beautiful city that she is today. When asked what county he was from, the doctor said he did not know exactly, as his office is situated in DeWitt county and his residence is in Lavaca county, consequently he has never been satisfied whether he is a resident of Lavaca county or one of DeWitt. The town of Yoakum is built on the county line separating DeWitt and Lavaca..."
Son Dr. Josiah Shafer "Si" Youngkin (1855-1925) was born on June 21, 1855 in Gilboah, Putnam County, OH or in Upper Sandusky, Wyandot County, OH. (Sources for his birthplace differ.) Josiah migrated to Texas in 1859 when he was about four years of age. He eventually was joined in the holy bond of wedlock with Rebecca G. Cox (1865-1895), daughter of Nathaniel Harmon and Penelope Leah "Lea" (Bennett) Cox. They became the parents of two -- Lina Elizabeth Chambers and John Henry Clay Youngkin. As with his brother, Josiah became a physician and in 1883 obtained a degree at the Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans. He first practiced in Hope, TX before moving to Sweet Home after the railroad was built, and thence to Yoakum, TX. Specializing in part as a veterinarian, he and his brother received a U.S. patent on April 22, 1890 for what they called "new and useful Improvements in Compounds for Exterminating Srew-Worms." The compound they invented was a combination of chloroform, alcohol, tincture asaftida and carbolic acid, designed to destroy worms in an animal's wound while doubling as an anti-septic. In 1894, in Yoakum, he was employed as a surgeon by the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway. That year, in September, he and another railroad surgeon were called upon to conduct an amputation to the right foot of Rev. Lewis Fitzgerald, who had fallen off a passenger train at Hallettsville. Then in November 1897, he amputated the right leg below the knee of Will Schneider, who had accidentally shot himself with a six-shooter he was carrying in his pocket while at a dance. Josiah was in the news again in June 1902 when operating on the right foot of Walter Rees, son of a former sheriff, who had been wounded when his gun accidentally fired. Heartbreak cascaded over the family when Rebecca passed away at the age of just 29 on Jan. 28, 1895. Her remains were lowered under the sod of Oak Grove Cemetery in Yoakum. Josiah went on to wed again to his wife's sister, Evalina Silvertooth "Lina" Cox (June 7, 1868-1944), a native of Old Sweet Home, Lavaca County. The second union produced three more children -- Saralyn Pratt, Rebecca Youngkin and Mary Alice Buchanan. Suffering from cancer of the gallbladder, Josiah died at home on Hubbard Street in July 1925. The Shiner (TX) Gazette euologized that "Another pioneer citizen of Yoakum has 'crossed over the river to rest in the shade of the trees on the other side.' We refer to the passing of that well known human landmark, Dr. J.S. (Si) Youngkin..." The widowed Lina lived on for another nearly two decades. In her last years she sufferd from heart disease and an intestinal obstruction. The angel of death cleaved her away in Yoakum's Huth Memorial Hospital on June 23, 1944. Interment was in Oak Grove Cemetery, with her daughter Rebecca providing information for the official Texas certificate of death.
~ Son Dr. Jerome Wilson "J.W." Youngkin ~
Son Dr. Jerome Wilson "J.W." Youngkin (1830-1907) -- often spelled "Youngkins" -- was born on Sept. 9, 1833.
On April 8, 1831, in the First Presbyterian Church in Lancaster, Fairfield County, OH, he underwent the rite of Christian baptism.
His first marriage, in 1856, was with Mary A. Hall (1838-1859).
The two daughters they bore together were May Darling and Celia Conn.
Sadly, Mary died in 1859.
Jerome joined the Union Army during the Civil War. He was placed in the 21st Ohio Infantry, Company D.
Jerome appears to have established a medical practice in about 1876 in Wolcottville, IN. The town straddled parts of LaGrange County and Noble County. He stayed in this role for 31 remaining years of his life.
Circa 1878, Jerome again was united in holy matrimony with Eliza J. Bingman (Feb. 7, 1853-1923), daughter of John F. and Susanna (Bock) Bingman.
Jerome was involved in a public controversy in July 1892 over the parole of killer Jack Dyer of Rome City, IN, who had murdered his wife. The Indianapolis News reported in a story datelined Wolcottville that "Governor Chase explains that he was influenced by a petition signed by numerous citizens, including eleven of the jurymen who passed sentence upon Dyer. Ther was also an affidavit by Doctor Younkins, of this place, in which he made it appear probable that Dyer's wife committed suicide. The Doctor is being censured, since has known these facts during all the thirteen years that Dyer has been in prison, and also because his affidavit was not made until after the death of the physician who was present at Mrs. Dyer's death."
As compensation for his wartime service, Jerome received a military pension in 1904. [Invalid App. #1.323.651 - Cert. #1.100.827] As of January 1905, he received a monthly check in the amount of $12.
Jerome surrendered to the angel of death at the age of 74 on Sept. 20, 1907, in Wolcottville. The Steuben (IN) Republican said he "was found dead on his porch..." His remains sleep for all time in Woodland Cemetery in Wolcottville. A physician ruled that the "probable cause of death was heart failure [and] old age." In signing the official Indiana certificate of death, Eliza was not able to provide the names of her husband's parents, other than the mother'smaiden name of "Montgomery."
The widowed Eliza then filed to receive her late husband's pension, and it was awarded as of Oct. 18, 1907. [Widow App. #878.193 - Cert. #637419]
Remaining in Wolcottville, Eliza was felled by a cerebral hemorrhage at the age of 70 and died on March 31, 1923.
Daughter May Youngkin (1856-1952) was born in 1856. She wed (?) Darling.
Daughter Celia Youngkin (1859-1952) was born in 1859. She married (?) Conn.