Lydia (Emerick) Beal was born in about 1828, presumably in or near Wellersburg, Southampton Township, Somerset County, PA, the daughter of of Jonathan and Rachel (Sturtz) Emerick Sr.
She entered into the bonds of marriage with John Beal (1826- ? ), a native of Maryland.
A dozen known children were born to this union -- Jonas "John" Beal, John "Jackson" Beal, Mary Winebrenner, Emanuel "Manual" Beal, Emily Beal, Sarah Ellen McVicker, Margaret Catherine "Maggie" Porter, Frank Beals, Anna Evelyn Bruce, Rachel Dahl, Isabelle Addis and Christina "Tina" Beal.
When the federal census enumeration was made in 1850, the Beals dwelled near Lydia's uncle John Adam Sturtz Jr. and aged grandparents in Southampton Township.
Then during the decade of the 1850s, the family migrated across the county line into Londonerry, Bedford County, PA.
On the move again during the 1860s, the Beals relocated into Maryland and in 1870 made a home in Allegany County, MD. The 1880 census shows them in the community of Mt. Savage, Allegany County, a short distance south of Wellersburg.
The final fates of the couple are not yet known. Research by others posted on Ancestry.com hints that John passed away in 1900 and that Lydia died in Mt. Savage on Aug. 13, 1910.
~ Son Jonas Beal ~
Son Jonas Beal (1848-1912) -- pronounced "John-uss" -- was born in Feb. 1848 in Southampton Township, Somerset County. He never learned to read or write.
At the age of 21, he resided on the home farm near Cumberland, Allegany County, MD.
All evidence suggests that in about 1874, he married Mary Isabelle Newman (Nov. 1855-1936), also a Pennsylvania native whose parents were Irish immigrants.
The children born to this couple included John Thomas Beal, Anna J. Beal, Joseph Edward Beal, Michael J. Beal, Patrick Beal, William Beal and Charles Beal, plus one who was deceased young, prior to 1900.
The family dwelled in 1880-1900 in Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD. He was employed for years as a laborer with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, and in 1900 all of their teenage sons worked as laborers to generate income.
Later, they moved into the city of Cumberland, and their address in 1912 was Lexington Street.
On the fateful day of Dec. 27, 1912, while at work in the B&O yards near Oldtown Road, the 63-year-old Jonas was struck by a moving engine which was in the process of shifting tracks. "His head was crushed and legs broken," reported the Cumberland Evening Times. He was rushed to Allegany Hospital where he died within the hour. Funeral services were held in the home of his daughter Mrs. H. Crosby at 325 Maryland Avenue. Burial followed in St. Patrick's Cemetery in Cumberland. As a widow, Mary moved into the home of her daughter. She remained there for the remaining 24 years of her life, which included a move to 939 Maryland Avenue. She passed away in the Crosby residence five days before Christmas in 1936. An obituary in the Evening Times spelled her name "Beall" and reported that a high mass was sung at St. Mary's Catholic Church, led by assistant pastor Rev. W. Joyce Russell.
Son John "Thomas" Beal (1875-1962) was born in 1875 in Ellerslie, Allegany County, MD. He married Grace Spriggs ( ? - ? ). The couple became the parents of Francis Joseph Beal and William T. Beal. During World War II, he made a home on Maryland Avenue in Cumberland. He endured a parent's agony when his son William was killed in action in Okinawa and son Francis wounded in Czechoslovakia. At the age of about 86, in 1962, he died in Oakland, Garrett County, MD. His remains are in eternal repose in St. Peters Catholic Cemetery in Westernport, Allegany County.
Daughter Anna J. Beal (1876- ? ) was born in June 1878 in Allegany County, MD. She married Harvey Edward Crosby (May 24, 1879-1940), son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Bell) Crosby of Hyndman, Bedford County, PA. Children born to this union were Joseph Crosby, Helen Dyche, Mary Crosby, Pauline Seibert, Francis Crosby, Leo Crosby, Anna C. Crosby and Marcella Virginia Henry. They lived in Cumberland in 1912, at the address of 325 Maryland Avenue and at 939 Maryland Avenue in 1936. Harvey worked for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad as a railroad flagman in 1930 and as a freight conductor in 1940. He belonged to the Brotherhood of Railroad Conductors. In all, his railroad career spanned 35 years. On the fateful day of Feb. 17, 1940, having completed a run from Cumberland to Connellsville, PA, he suffered a massive heart attack and died at the age of 61. His obituary was published in the Cumberland Evening Times, and the remains were returned to Cumberland for interment. Charles E. Crosby of Connellsville signed the Pennsylvania death certificate.
Son Joseph "Edward" Beal (1878-1963) was born on Dec. 8, 1878 or 1882 in Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD. He was united in wedlock with Ella M. Piper ( ? -1945). They made a residence in Cumberland. Together, the couple produced a brood of four sons -- George Austin Beal, Lester P. Beal, William E. Beal and F. Carlton Beal. Sadly, Ella was swept away by the angel of death in 1945. Edward outlived his wife by 18 years. He endured the heartache of the untimely death of their son George in 1953. His address in the early 1960s was 547 Greene Street. With his health in decline for several weeks, Joseph died at home at the age of 80 on Aug. 6, 1963. An obituary appeared in the Cumberland News. Burial of the remains was in Mt. Savage Methodist Cemetery, with Rev. John U. Lyness preaching the funeral sermon.
Son Michael J. Beal (1880- ? ) was born in Jan. 1880, likely in Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD. His fate is not yet known.
Son Patrick Beal (1884- ? ) was born in July 1884 in Maryland. Nothing more about his life has been learned to date.
Son William Beal (1885- ? ) was born in Dec. 1885 in Maryland.
Son Charles Beal (1890- ? ) was born in June 1890 in Pennsylvania.
~ Son Jonathan "Jackson" Beal ~
Son Jonathan "Jackson" Beal (1850-1942) -- also known as "John" and "Jack" -- was born on Feb. 18, 1850 in Kennell's Mill/Wellersburg, Southampton Township, Somerset County.
On Nov. 7, 1872, when he was age 23, he married Malinda Baker (Jan. 1853- ? ), also of Wellersburg. Their wedding was held in Wellersburg, officiated by Rev. Benjamin Knepper.
The family of eight children produced in this marriage were John "Edward" Beal, Sarah A. "Sadie" Williams, Royal Benjamin "Roy" Beals, Ida Holzshue, Charles Beal, Harvey Ray Beal, Edith May Beachey and Bessie Gertrude Sperry Lowery Bowser.
For 58 years, Jackson was "prominent lumberman, carpenter and mine operator," reported the Connellsville Daily Courier.
The family first dwelled in Wellersburg and then by 1874 moved across the state border into Maryland.
When the federal census enumeration was made in 1880, the Beals dwelled in Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD, with Jackson working as an engine man in a machine shop. In 1900, now on Lincoln Avenue in Meyersdale, Somerset County, Jackson was a coal miner.
Then in 1910-1920, he labored in a local mill, likely the Meyersdale Planing Mill. Jackson and Malinda celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in November 1922 with a family gathering. In a story about the happy event, the Meyersdale Republican reported that "for the occasion all of their eight children were at home together for the firt time in twenty-six years."
About thirty persons partook of the sumptuous dinner prepared for the occasion, as, besides the sons and daughters ... there were sons-in-law and daughters-in-law, and eight grandchildren, and Rev. John A. Ditzler, who offered the prayer. Many gifts of gold coin and other valuables were received. There was no special form of entertainment, but the day was most happily spent in conversation and the recalling of joyous days of the remote past. Mr. and Mrs. Beal accompanied their son Edward to Wheeling, W.Va., on Wednesday where they will spend a few weeks, after which they intend to visit each one of their sons and daughters at their respective homes.
Jackson's continued working at the Meyersdale Planing Mill until after reaching the age of 80. In June 1935, he is known to have attended the circus at Meyersdale with his daughter and son-in-law, Bessie and Frank Lowery.
He marked his 88th birthday in 1938 with a dinner held at the Lowery home. Among friends present were W.P. Dively, Valentine Gress, Simon Fullem, W.F. Payne, John Gress, George Beal, Calvin Lint and William Grof. In reporting the story, the Republican called him "one of the oldest residents of Meyersdale... He came to Meyersdale only a few years after the town was incorporated and has lived here for the past 66 years. He is enjoying good health.... He is one of the oldest members of Amity Evangelical and Reformed Church in Meyersdale."
After Malinda's death, he relocated circa 1940 to Connellsville, Fayette County, PA, making his residence with his married daughter Mrs. Frank Lowery at 122 South Fourth Street.
Having been burdened for the last year of his life with organic heart disease, he succumbed to his illness at the age of 91 on April 13, 1941. Interment of the remains was in Connellsville's Hill Grove Cemetery, with son-in-law Frank Lowery, of the family home, signing the official Pennsylvania certificate of death. The body was transported to Meyersdale for funeral services held at the Amity Evangelical and Reformed Church, followed by burial in Meyersdale Area Union Cemetery. Co-officiating at the service were Rev. Nelson Brown and Rev. Dr. B.A. Black. An obituary was published in the Daily Courier.
Son John "Edward" Beal (1881-1955) was born in April 1881 in Maryland. He migrated in young manhood to Pittsburgh, where he worked as a cigar maker. On May 10, 1905, at the age of 24, he was united in wedlock with 24-year-old Mary C. Nail ( ? - ? ), daughter of O.E. and Clarrissa Nail of Clarion, Clarion County, PA, about 77 miles to the northeast of Pittsburgh. Their nuptials were held in Clarion, presided over by Rev. S.H. Day. The couple eventually moved to Wheeling, WV by 1922, and in time cross-country to San Diego, CA. Their three known children were Harriet Beal, Edward Beal and Mary Beal. He was in San Diego in 1949 when named in the obituary of his brother Harvey.
Daughter Sarah Ann "Sadie" Beal (1873-1953) was born on Aug. 14, 1873 in Maryland, likely in Mt. Savage, Allegany County. She married John Williams ( ? - ? ). The brood of children they produced together included Helen Williams, Joseph Williams, James Williams, John Williams and Charles Williams. Their home in 1911-1941 was in McKeesport near Pittsburgh. By 1949, they had relocated to New York State and settled in Syracuse.
Daughter Ida Beal (1875-1946) was born on July 26, 1875 in Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD, although she may have thought her birthplace was in Meyersdale. She was joined in matrimony with John J. Holzshue ( ? - ? ). These seven known offspring were born to this marriage -- Frank Holzshue, Naomi Holzshue, Edith Holzshue, Mary Holzshue, Jacob Holzshue, Harry Holzshue and Thomas Holzshue. In about 1896, they migrated to Pitcairn, Westmoreland County, PA, and stayed there and in Wilmerding, Allegheny County for her remaining 50 years of life. Their address in the mid-1940s was 445 Eleanor Street. Sadly, she was diagnosed with diabetes as well as cancer, the liver and nearby glands. At the age of 70, she passed away in Pitcairn on May 11, 1946. Burial of the remains was in Fairview Cemetery, with F.W. Holzshue, of Sharon, PA, providing details for the death certificate.
Son Royal Benjamin "Roy" Beals (1879-1964) was born on Jan. 6, 1879, likely in Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD, although he thought Meyersdale, PA was his place of birth. On Oct. 17, 1906, he was united in the bonds of wedlock with Margaret McIndore ( ? - ? ). They established a residence in New Castle, Lawrence County, PA, where Royal found employment with Carnegie Steel Corporation. Together, the pair bore four known children -- John E. Beals, Ralph H. Beals, Elsie McCullough and Gladys Hegedus. Other possible children in this family were Hazel Beal and Lydia Beal. Their address was 1315 Neshannock Boulevard, and they belonged to Clen-Moore United Presbyterian Church. For 26 years, after leaving Carnegie Steel, he operated a grocery store, retiring in 1949 at the age of 70. Sadly, at the age of 85, Royal passed away at home on May 10, 1964. The New Castle (PA) News published an obituary, which counted his survivors as seven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. Rev. William J. Turner Jr. presided at the funeral service, followed by burial of the remains in Oak Park Cemetery.
Daughter Edith May Beal (1883-1967) was born on Sept. 1, 1883 in Maryland. On the evening of Sept. 12, 1909, when she would have been about age 26, she wedded Earl Clifford Beachy (June 2, 1887-1967), son of Lloyd and Georgia (Folk) Beachy of West Salisbury, Somerset County. Their nuptials were held in the parsonage of Amity Reformed Church, officiated by the hand of Rev. Dr. A.E. Truxal. News of the marriage was announced in the Meyersdale Republican. The only son born to this union was Dale Beachy. They resided in Salisbury, Somerset County in 1922 and in McKeesport near Pittsburgh in 1941-1967. Earl was employed as an inspector for the National Tube Works of United States Steel in McKeesport. Their address circa 1967 was 1703 Butler Street. Sadly, husband wife died only a few months apart. Earl was budened with heart disease and died instantly, on July 8, 1967, after infliction by a pulmonary embolism. Toward the end, suffering from heart disease and diabetes, she was admitted to McKeesport Hospital. The angel of death carried her away on Dec. 5, 1967. Son Dale Beachy of McKeesport was the informant for the official Pennsylvania certificate of death. Interment of the remains was in Jefferson Memorial Park in Jefferson Borough.
Son Harvey Ray Beal (1888-1949) -- also known as "Harry" -- was born on June 23, 1888 in Meyersdale, Somerset County. He lived in Berlin, Somerset County in 1922, and is known to have composed a poem recited at his parents' 50th wedding anniversary dinner that year. Circa 1929, he put down roots in Barberton, Summit County, OH, where he had obtained employment with Babcock and Wilcox Company as a foreman and carpenter. He remained in Barberton for most if not all of the rest of his life. He is believed to have been married twice. He and his first bride, Kate Boyer (1888- ? ) produced three children -- Lydia Logsdon, Hazel Zeigler and Jack Beal. At the age of 46, on Dec. 22, 1934, he wedded 41-year-old Gertrude (Mehaffey) Dunn (March 19, 1893- ? ), daughter of Herman and Anna (Snyder) Mahaffey. The wedding was held in Barberton, by the hand of Floyd Withrow. Gertrude was an employee of B.F. Goodrich at the time. She was divorced and brought a daughter to the marriage, Imogene Arnold. Sadly, at the age of 60, Harvey died in Barberton on Feb. 9, 1949. An obituary in the Meyersdale (PA) Republican noted that he was survived by six grandchildren. Funeral services were led by Rev. H.D. Finley, of the First United Presbyterian Church, with interment following in Greenlawn Memorial Park.
Daughter Bessie Gertrude Beal (1892-1970) was born on Sept. 19, 1892 in Meyersdale, Somerset County. In mid-March 1910, when she was age 17, she wedded 23-year-old William P. Sperry (1886-1932). News of their marriage license was published in the Meyersdale (PA) Republican. The newlyweds first made their home with Bessie's parents in 1910 in Meyersdale, Somerset County. They bore at least two children, Benjamin F. Sperry and Anna May (Sperry) Rubright. William was a member of the Meyersdale Fire Department and is known to have taken part in regular water battle championships with other towns' teams, using high pressure water hoses. In one particularly competitive bout, in September 1916, he was among four men who were "injured in what was probably the fiercest water battle ever fought," said the Republican, "when Meyersdale went down to defeat before Stowe Township.... None of them was seriously hurt, but the battlers came through exhausted, some blinded, others nearly strangled, and all, more or less, injured." William's skin was torn away by the force of the opposing water jet, and his back bruised, "half strangled and suffering from exhaustion. He recovered in a few hours and was taken home on an evening train." The family's address in 1917 was on Second Avenue in Meyersdale at a time when he was elected fire chief. William was stricken in March 1917 by inflammation, known as rheumatism, and could not raise one arm to his head or lace his shoes. The couple took over the operation of the Pennsylvania Restaurant on Meyersdale's Center Street in 1923, and ran it for a year, but William's health failed and they had to give it up. Reported the Republican, "Mr. Sperry and his estimable wife have, during the short time that they have been engaged in business, demonstrated to the public that they are eminently qualified for the business, and their many friends and patrons are sorry that the proprietor's health compels him to retire." Bessie and William and their children, along with the Frank H. Taylor family, took a driving vacation in August 1925 to the nation's capitol and Luray Caverns in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. William's occupation in 1927-1932 was with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, holding the position of engineer in 1932. He and Bessie traveled to Halethorpe, MD in October 1927 to view the company's 100th anniversary exhibit. William suffered during the late 1920s with kidney stones and gallbladder problems. His recoveries seem to have been temporary, and in January 1932, with his symptoms more serious, he traveled to Baltimore to seek relief in Johns Hopkins Hospital. Death swept him away a week later, at the age of 46, on Jan. 26, 1932. His funeral was held in their home, led by Rev. B.A. Black of the Amity Reformed Church. The remains were lowered into repose in Meyersdale Area Union Cemetery.
As a widow, Bessie remained in their home on Lincoln Avenue. A furnace overheated in early March 1933, "in the middle of the house" said the Republican, "behind plastering and under the foor of a downstairs room." The fire department was called in time, and arrived to put out the blaze without using water, only chemicals. By March 1933, she had begun seeing her future second husband, railroad locomotive fireman Frank Lowery (1892- ? ) of Garrett, Somerset County. The gossip columns of the Republican noted that they had spent time together, along with Frank's sons, in a visit with Frank's parents, Samuel and Janet (Walker) Lowery of Coal Run. The relationship developed quickly, and they obtained a marriage license in Somerset in May 1933. The pair tied the knot on April 30, 1933, in the parsonage of St. Johns Reformed Church in Salisbury, Somerset County, led by Rev. Albert M. Wright. The couple were in Somerset County in 1935 but by 1940 had relocated to Connellsville, Fayette County, where Frank had secured work as a fireman with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Circa 1941, the Lowerys' address was 122 South Fourth Street in Connellsville, with Bessie's elderly widowed father in the household. By 1964, Bessie married a third time to Reuben Emanuel Bowser ( ? -1977), widower of Edith (Wengard) Bowser and son of E.M. and Tracie (Hoffman) Bowser. The pair lived in Meyersdale, where Reuben owned and operated the Bowser Market. He belonged to the Meyersdale post of the American legion and Elks Club as well as the Amity United Church of Christ. Bessie succumbed to death on Feb. 22, 1970, at the age of 77, in Meyersdale Community Hospital. Her survivors included three grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. Rev. Lloyd Sechriest led the funeral, with interment following in Meyersdale Area Union Cemetery. Reuben outlived her by seven years. Sadly, at the age of 69, Reuben passed away at home on Oct. 4, 1977, with burial in Union Cemetery and an obituary published in the Meyersdale Republican.
Son Charles Russell Beal (1898-1972) was born in Sept. 1898 in Pennsylvania. He wedded Sara Gerhart (1891- ? ). They were the parents of Betty Beal, Richard Beal and Dorothy Beal. By 1922, he had relocated to McKeesport, a small city near Pittsburgh. He remained in McKeesport as of 1964.
~ Daughter Mary (Beal) Winebrenner ~
Daughter Mary Beal (1852- ? ) was born in Sept. 1852. Her birth year also has been given as 1844.
In 1872, she was joined in holy matrimonial union with John Winebrenner (Jan. 1850- ? ).
Known children produced by this marriage were John Winebrenner, Rose Winebrenner, Fred Winebrenner and Walter Winebrenner. Another died young prior to 1900.
The Winebrenners settled on a farm in Barton Mills, Allegany County, MD. Federal census records for 1880 show John earning a living as a farm laborer.
By 1900, they had moved to another farm in Eckhart, Allegany County, on which John worked as a laborer.
Son John Winebrenner (1876- ? ) was born in Nov. 1876 in Maryland. He wedded Minnie (Jan. 1882- ? ). Their one known son was Charles E. Winebrenner. Circa 1900, they resided in the household of John's parents in Eckhart, Allegany County. At that time, John earned income as a sawmill laborer.
Daughter Rose "Rosie" Winebrenner (1879- ? ) was born in Feb. 1879 in Maryland. Her husband, whom she wed in about 1898, was John Bishop (Jan. 1875- ? ). John was employed in 1900 as a sawmill laborer in Eckhart, Allegheny County, MD, and the newlyweds resided with Rosie's parents. In time, four children were born into this family -- Walter Bishop, William Bishop, Mary Bishop and Frank Bishop.
Son Walter Winebrenner (1882- ? ) was born in Jan. 1882.
Son Frederick Winebrenner (1884- ? ) was born in about 1884. In 1908, he married Mary (1887- ? ). Their first son was Emmanuel Winebrenner. Frederick made a living in 1910 as a coal miner in Allegany County.
~ Son Emanuel Beal ~
Son Emanuel Beal (1854-1914) -- also known as "Manual Beals" and "E. Manuel Beal" -- was born on or about Sept. 26, 1854 in Southampton Township, Somerset County.
Circa 1879, when he would have been 24 years of age, he was bonded in marriage with Sarah E. Beal (June 1, 1856-1908).
The nine known offspring born to this union were Emma Beal, Mary F. Logsdon, Matilda "Tillie" Robinette, Annie Beal, Emanuel Beal Jr., Ida Beal, Minnie Baldwin Howsare, Hazel Ethel Beal and Sarah Hansrote. Sadly, daughter Emma died in infancy in 1876.
The couple made their home in 1880 over the Maryland state line in Mt. Savage, Allegany County. At that time, Emanuel earned a living as a car painter, likely for the railroad industry.
In about 1889, at the age of 35, Emanuel secured employment as a railroad car inspector for the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad. The family relocated into the city of Cumberland, MD, and he worked for the company for the remaining 25 years of his life.
Sadly, Sarah died on Oct. 18, 1908, at the age of 52 years, four months and 17 days.
Emanuel outlived her by six years.When the federal census enumeration was made in 1910, Emanuel shared a home on Smith Street in Cumberland with his divorced daughter Mary Logsdon and her three daughters. His work was as a railroad car repairman.
On Dec. 16, 1914, while a patient at Cumberland's Allegany Hospital, he succumbed to the spectre of death. His age at the time was 60 years, two months and 20 days. The remains were lowered into eternal sleep next to Sarah's in Porter Cemetery in Eckhart, Allegany County. In a short obituary, the Baltimore Sun said that "Eight children survive."
Daughter Mary F. Beal (1877- ? ) was born in about 1876. She was joined in wedlock with Noah Logsdon ( ? - ? ). The couple bore a family of five children -- Mary Logsdon, Noah Logsdon Jr., Ida Pearl Clites, Lucy M. McCreary and Sarah Warner. Daughter Mary and son Noah died young.
Daughter Matilda "Tillie" Beal (1879- ? ) was born in about 1879. She was joined in wedlock with George Robinette (1872-1912). The three children produced by the couple were Anna Ashenfelter, Ida Erickson and Will Robinette.
Daughter Annie Beal (1880-1950) was born in Dec. 1880. She wedded Henry W./Harvey Deal ( ? - ? ). The couple dwelled in Frostburg. The offspring produced by this marriage were James H. Deal, Henry Deal, Mary Elizabeth Bishop, Emma Pearl Garlitz and Anna May Weslow. As a widow, Annie went to live with her son on New Hope Road in Frostburg and was ill for the last two years of her life. She succumbed to death at the age of 69 on March 15, 1950. An obituary was printed in the Cumberland Evening Times.
Son Emanuel Beal Jr. (1883-1944) -- also spelled "Beals" -- was born in June 1883. He did not marry and spent his years in Cumberland. He died at the age of 61, as a patient in Springfield State Hospital in Sykesville, MD, on Nov. 25, 1944. An obituary was printed in the Cumberland News. Funeral services were preached by Rev. J.L. Stewart of the North Cumberland Assembly of God Church. Interment was in Porter Cemetery in Eckhart, MD
Daughter Ida Beal (1886- ? ) was born in Feb. 1886. She wedded George Winfield (1889- ? ).
Daughter Minnie Beal (1888- ? ) was born in April 1888. She entered into marriage twice. Her first known spouse was Elmer Baldwin (1882- ? ). They lived in Pittsburgh in 1944. Then by 1950, she wedded her second husband, (?) Howsare ( ? - ? ).
Daughter Hazel Ethel Beal (1891-1974) was born in Aug. 1891 in Mt. Savage, Allegany County. She never married. For 40 years, she was employed with the Crystal Laundry. She made her home at one time with her sister and brother in law, Mrs. and Mr. Earl M. Hansrote at 19 Boone Street. She made news in May 1940 when she was "slightly injured in stepping in front of a moving car," reported the Cumberland Evening Times. "Police said the driver had the 'go' traffic signal and that the accident was unavoidable... She was treated at the office of a physician." Sadly, at the age of 82, while a resident of Cuppett-Weeks Nursing Home in Oakland, Garrett County, MD, she passed away on July 16, 1974. An obituary in the Cumberland News said that "a number of nieces and nephews survive."
Daughter Sarah "Sadie" Beal (1897-1967) was born in Oct. 1897 in Cumberland, Allegany County, MD. She married Earl Martin Hansrote ( ? -1958), a native of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, WV and the son of John and Laura (Reeder) Hansrote. The couple together produced three children, Wilbur Earl Hansrote, Ethel Hansrote and Elmer George Hansrote. They made a home for years in Cumberland at 19 Boone Street. For much of that time, Sarah's unmarried sister Hazel Ethel Beal lived under their roof. Earl earned a living as a boilermaker for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. He belonged to the Knights of Pythias lodge and the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers union. Sarah held a membership in the Central Assembly of God Church. Sadly, at the age of 65, Earl died in Cumberland's Memorial Hospital on March 27, 1958. An obituary in the Cumberland News said that the funeral was led by Rev. Frank Fratto, of the family's church, with burial in Rose Hill Cemetery. Sarah outlived her spouse by nine years. Death swept her away at home, at the age of 69, on May 19, 1967. Rev. Fratto again preached the funeral sermon, and again the News printed an obituary.
~ Daughter Emily Beal ~
Daughter Emily Beal (1858- ? ) was born in 1858.
~ Daughter Sarah "Ellen" (Beal) McVicker ~
Daughter Sarah "Ellen" Beal (1859-1931) was born on Aug. 9, 1859 in Cumberland, Allegany County, MD.
Circa 1885, at the age of 25, she was joined in holy matrimony with John Robert McVicker (April 22, 1859-1945), the son of Jesse and Ellen (Robb) McVicker of Bedford County, the father a veteran of the Civil War.
The couple together bore a baker's dozen children in their family over the span of two decades, from 1881 to 1901 -- William Merrian McVicker, Clarence Clayton McVicker, Jesse J. McVicker, Arthur McVicker, Samuel E. McVicker, Nora "Edith" Cronan, John B. McVicker, Liddy McVicker, Franklin Dennis "Frank" McVicker, Harry Ellsworth McVicker, Laura B. Sanders Wise and Walter G. McVicker. Three other of the children were deceased by 1900.
When the federal census enumeration was made in 1900, the family dwelled in Shade Township, Somerset County, PA, with John laboring as a coal miner. Then during the decade between 1900 and 1910, they relocated to Summerhill Township, Cambria County, PA, where coal mining work was available.
The 1910 federal census shows that John and three of his sons earned a living as coal miners that year. He also earned income from lumbering. After many years in the dirty, dangerous work in the mines, John became a house carpenter during the 1910s.
In about 1914, the family relocated to Portage, Cambria County, PA. The 1920 United States Census shows the McVickers in Portage, with him working in the carpentry field.
The couple appears to have separated by 1930. The census of 1930 shows Sarah heading a household which included her bachelor son Samuel and married daughter Laura Sanders and Laura's three children.
For the last 15 years of her life, she suffered from a toxic thyroid gland and chronic heart disease.
Death gathered her away without warning at the age of 71 on Feb. 6, 1931 in Portage, Cambria County, PA. Son Samuel McVicker of Portage was the informant for the official Pennsylvania certificate of death. Burial was in Mt. Union Cemetery in Portage.
John was not named in his wife's newspaper obituary. He outlived her by 14 years and in 1932 was in Conemaugh Heights. His final address was in the home of his married son Samuel at 712 Orchard Street in Portage. For years, he endured chronic heart disease and hardening of the arteries as well as a buildup of fluids and swelling in his lower extremities as well as gangrene of both feet.
He died at the age of 86 on July 22, 1945. An obituary in the Bedford Gazette said that he had been "an invalid for the past six years" and that his "confinement was caused by a fractured leg which failed to heal properly... Three of his sons served in World War I and six of his grandsons in the present global conflict." Funeral services were held in the family residence, led by his grandson, Rev. William D. McVicker of West Pittston, PA. His remains were lowered into eternal repose in Portage's Mount Union Cemetery. He was survived by 27 grandchildren and 28 great-grandchildren. Son Samuel again provided details for the death certificate, and misspelled his mother's maiden name as "Diehls."
Son William Merrian "Will" McVicker (1881-1950) was born on Sept. 10, 1881. When he was age 22, he resided in Beaverdale, Cambria County, PA and supported himself as a coal miner. On Aug. 6, 1903, at age 22, he wedded 21-year-old Myrtle Plummer (1882-1943), also of Beaverdale and the daughter of Oliver and Lovina Plummer. Justice of the peace A.J. Skelly performed the marriage ceremony at Wilmore, Cambria County. Two offspring produced by this union were William Gerald McVicker and Magdeline Pearl Miller. Myrtle passed away in 1943. William married again to Ival Pearl (Plummer) Oldham (1900-1974). Circa 1945-1950, the McVickers dwelled near Portage, Cambria County. William eventually retired from mining. Stricken with pancreatic cancer, blocking the bile dusts, he was admitted to Johnstown's Mercy Hospital. At that place, he succumbed to the spectre of death at the age of 68 on June 3, 1950. Interment was in Mount Union Cemetery, Portage Township.
Son Clarence McVicker (1883- ? ) was born in 1883. He is thought to have died young, as a brother born 11 year later was given the same name.
Son Jesse J. McVicker (1887-1891) was born in 1887. Sadly, at the age of four, he died in Juniata, Bedford County, PA on Oct. 17, 1891. Burial of his tender remains was in Old Union Cemetery in Buffalo Mills, Bedford County.
Son Arthur McVicker (1887- ? ) was born in 1887.
Son Samuel Edgar "Sam" McVicker (1889-1982) was born on May 10, 1889 in Meyersdale, Somerset County. At the age of 20, in 1910, he lived at home in Summerhill, Cambria County, PA and earned wages as a coal miner. By 1920, when he was 30 and still a bachelor, he was a mule driver in the coal mines of Portage, Cambria County. Circa 1930, single at age 40, he was a crane operator for construction projects in Portage. He eventually married Edna L. DeArmitt (May 2, 1908-1965), daughter of Robert and Nora (Warnick) DeArmitt of Huntington, PA. They lived in Portage at 712 Orchard Street. Sadly, burdened with hypertension and heart disease, Edna died in Johnstown's Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital at the age of 57 on Oct. 4, 1965. Samuel survived her by 17 years. He passed away in Portage at the age of 93 on May 12, 1982. Their remains sleep for all time in Mount Union Cemetery in Summerhill.
Daughter Nora "Edith" McVicker (1890-1932) was born in Sept. 1890 in New Baltimore, PA. At the age of 23, she entered into marriage with 23-year-old Dennis Patrick Cronan (July 18, 1891-1944) of Gallitzin, PA. Together, the Cronans produced a brood of 11 children, of whom three were deceased by 1932 -- Thelma Cronan, Franklin Carl Cronan and Eugene Cronan. The offspring who survived childhood were Virgil "Virginia" Shields, Jennings P. Cronan, Grace Cronan, Samuel Cronan, Nora Jean "Norgene" Cronan, Ethel Cronan, Warren Cronan and Edith Cronan. The family was plunged into mourning when son Franklin died of cholera and acidosis at age eight months on Aug. 19, 1918 and a baby daughter stillborn on Sept. 2, 1927. When the federal census count was made in 1930, the family was in Green Township, Indiana County, and Dennis earned his wages as a coal mine laborer. The family's address in 1932 was in Commodore, PA at House No. 31. The Cronans' grief was compounded in early February when Edith, expecting another child, contracted kidney disease which led to a toxic infection. She gave birth to her daughter Edith on Feb. 8, 1932, but then suffered a cerebral embolism. She died in Indiana Hospital without recovering at the age of 40 on Feb. 15, 1932. Burial was in Mount Union Cemetery in Summerhill, following a funeral service in the family home led by her nephew Rev. William McVicker. An obituary in the Indiana Gazette said she was "the mother of eight living children... She was a member of the Lutheran Church of Portage and well-beloved by her family and a host of friends and associates." Dennis lived for another dozen years as a widower. He married again to Henrietta ( ? - ? ). The pair appears to have produced a daughter of their own, Bertha Cronan. The 1940 United States Census shows the family in Clymer, Indiana County, with Dennis not having an occupation that year. He passed away on Feb. 18, 1944. The remains were interred in Church of the Resurrection Cemetery in Clymer, Indiana County, PA.
Son John B. McVicker Jr. (1893- ? ) was born in Feb. 1893 in Pennsylvania. He worked in 1910 as a coal miner in Summerhill Township, Cambria County, PA. By 1945, he made his residence in Portage, Cambria County. John wedded Rose Beura ( ? - ? ). Their two known sons were Robert McVicker and John McVicker.
Son Clarence Clayton McVicker (1894-1971) was born in June 1894 in Pennsylvania. He was employed as a coal miner in Summerhill Township, Cambria County, PA in 1910. In 1920, single at the age of 25, he earned a living as a motorman in the mines of Portage, Cambria County. He was joined in wedlock with Florence Dunmire (1908- ? ). They resided in Portage, Cambria County and were the parents of Shirley McVicker, Ethel McVicker, Clayton McVicker and Thomas McVicker. Clarence passed away in Portage on Dec. 13, 1971.
Daughter Liddy McVicker (1895- ? ) was born in 1895.
Son Franklin Dennis "Frank" McVicker (1895-1966) was born on Nov. 27, 1895 in Pennsylvania. He served with the U.S. Army during World War I. After the war's end, he put down roots in Johnstown, Cambria County and was there in 1945. He was joined in wedlock with Mary Agnes Wolford (1897-1983). They dwelled at 405 Peterson Drive in Johnstown, and he earned a living as an electrician. Their family included these children -- Beatrice McVicker, Franklin McVicker, Edith McVicker, Darl McVicker and Betty McVicker. Sadly, he contracted cancer of his right lung, liver, spleen and left kidney. As his illness worsened, he was admitted to the Veterans Administration Hospital in Blair County. The spirit of death whisked him away at the age of 70 on April 2, 1966. The body was shipped to Portage for interment in Mount Union Cemetery. Mary Agnes lived for another 16-plus years. She passed away in Johnstown on Jan. 25, 1983.
Son Harry Ellsworth McVicker (1899-1940) was born on July 11, 1899, likely in Shade Township, Somerset County, PA, a twin with his sister Laura. He served in the U.S. Army during World War I as a member of the 152nd D.B, Company H. Circa 1920, when Harry was age 20, he made a living as a mule driver in the coal mines of Portage, Cambria County. In September 1920, he slipped away to Cumberland, MD to marry Janet Cecilia Brookbank (1903-1966), daughter of Albert Francis and Margaret (Beech) Brookbank of Portage. The couple made a home at 806 Main Street in Portage. They are known to have borne at least one daughter, Ruth Cecilia Gurchik. The family grieved in February 1937 when Janet's mother, who had been badly injured in an automobile accident while on vacation in California, died in Indio, CA. In 1940, Harry was employed as a coal loader at the Portage Township mine of the Sonman Shaft Coal Company, a subsidiary of Koppers Coal Company. At the tie, the Sonman Mine was considered "one of the largest in Cambria County" with a rich field of bituminous coal and 1,200 employees, said the Harrisburg Evening News. Tragedy took his life at work on the fateful day of July 15, 1940, when Harry was 41 years of age. He was one of 90 men trapped in an explosion of methane gas in the mine. Unable to escape, he and 62 others either suffocated or were incinerated. His distant cousin by marriage, Melvin C. Owen, of the family of Charles L. and Rebecca (Rowan) Robbins, also lost his life in the accident. Reported the Evening News, "Wives, children and relatives of the entombed miners, standing at the shaft entrances and soaked to the skin by a heavy rain, silently watched the bodies being removed." Harry's name was published in the casualty list in newspapers across the state. His remains were recovered and lowered into eternal repose in Mount Union Cemetery in Summerhill, Cambria County. Janet outlived her husband by more than a quarter of a century. She migrated to Ohio and settled in or near Cuyahoga Falls, Summit County. Death swept her away at the age of 63 on March 6, 1966. Her body was transported back to Cambria County for burial in St. Bartholomew Cemetery in Wilmore.
Daughter Laura B. McVicker (1899- ? ) was born in July 1899, likely in Shade Township, Somerset County, PA, a twin with her brother Harry. When she was 21 years of age, in about 1920, she was united in holy matrimony with Charles Sanders (1895- ? ). The couple's three known children were Regis Sanders, Howard/Harry Sanders and Sarah E. Sanders. Laura and her offspring as shown in the 1930 federal census as living with her mother in Portage, Cambria County, PA. By 1940, she had moved to Cresson, PA. She wedded a second time to (?) Wise ( ? - ? ).
Son Walter McVicker (1901- ? ) was born on Aug. 30, 1901 in Maryland. When he was 18 years of age, in 1920, he made his wages as a mule driver in the coal mines of Portage, Cambria County. By 1945, he had relocated to Portage, Cambria County. He entered into the union of marriage with Ethel ( ? - ? ). They made a residence in Portage at 915 Gillespie Avenue. He worked for years as a coal miner. Burdened with silicosis as well as coronary artery problems, at the age of 65, he died in Johnstown's Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital on April 29, 1967. Burial was in Forest Lawn Cemetery in Johnstown.
~ Daughter Margaret Catherine "Maggie" (Beal) Porter ~
Daughter Margaret Catherine "Maggie" Beal (1861-1948) was born in April 1861 in Pennsylvania.
In about 1878, at the age of 17, she entered into marriage with Charles W. Porter (Jan. 1, 1853-1943), a native of Eckhart, a coal mining town near Cumberland, MD.
For decades, the Porters dwelled on Quality Hill in Eckhart Mines.
The couple's 10 offspring were James Porter, Fannie Porter, Thomas Porter, Edward G. "Mike" Porter, Henry "Harry" Porter, Jesse "Skip" Porter, Lillian "Lillie" Porter, A. Dewey Porter, Bertha Long and one who died young prior to 1900.
Charles earned a living as a longtime engineer with the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad. He held a membership in the Eckhart Methodist Church.
By 1920, when he reached his 67th birthday, Charles was retired. The 1920 census shows the family in Eckhart Mines, with just four of their adult children still under their roof.
At the death of Margaret's brother Jackson Beal in 1941, she was named in his Connellsville (PA) Daily Courier obituary.
Charles celebrated his 90th birthday on New Year's Day 1943, and was considered the "oldest resident of Eckhart," reported the Cumberland Evening Times.
But soon into the new year, he became seriously ill and died a week later on Jan. 25, 1943. Said the Evening Times, he "had been active until he was stricken.... [He] was mentally and physically active until his fatal illness, and last year planted his own garden and attended his flowers." His survivors were counted as 12 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
Margaret survived her husband by another eight-plus years. The angel of death carried her away at home at the age of 87 on May 6, 1948.
Son James Porter (1879- ? ) was born in Nov. 1879. A bachelor at the age of 20, in 1900, he dwelled at home in Eckhart and labored as a railroad fireman. In time he was joined in wedlock with Ella Barry ( ? - ? ). They are believed to have been the parents of Charles Porter, James Porter, Loretta Porter, Thelma Porter, Earl Porter and Joseph Porter.
Daughter Fannie Porter (1882- ? ) was born in Sept. 1882. She never married. She lived with her parents in the early 1940s and in Frostburg in 1957.
Son Thomas E. Porter (1884- ? ) was born in July 1884. He lived as an adult in Eckhart Mines, MD, along Parkersburg Road. He was married to Maud L. Nelson (1891- ? ). They were the parents of Doris Porter, Ruth Porter, William Porter, Oliver "Bruce" Porter and Thomas Porter. When the federal census enumeration was made in 1920, the family was in Eckhart Mines, and Thomas earned his wages there as a coal miner. Thomas was admitted to Miner's Hospital in Frostburg and passed away there at the age of 66 on April 8, 1951. Rev. Louis Emerick and Rev. Wilbur Grose jointly officiated, with the funeral held in the Porter home. Pallbearers were William Barry, John Byrnes, Griffith Connors, David Kyle, Nathan Porter and Gilbert Race. Honorary pallbearers were Joseph Goodrich, Walter H. Reel and Claude Ward. Said the Cumberland Evening Times, "Burial will be in Eckhart Cemetery after a son, Oliver Bruce Porter, who is serving in the Navy, arrives home."
Son Edward G. "Mike" Porter (1887-1957) was born in Feb. 1887 in Eckhart, Allegany County, MD. He spent most if not all of his life in Eckhart, but appears to have been a lifelong bachelor. Circa 1910-1920, at age 23, he lived with his parents and earned income as a coal drawer and laborer in the Eckhart Mines. He joined the U.S. Army during World War I, and later belonged to the Farrady Post of the American Legion. For many years, he was a conductor with the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad, and held a membership in the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen union. He also was a member of the Eckhart Methodist Church. When his health declined, at the age of 70, he was treated in Miners Hospital in Frostburg. He passed away there on May 17, 1957. An obituary appeared in the Cumberland Evening Times, which said he was survived by three brothers and two sisters.
Son Henry F. "Harry" Porter (1890- ? ) was born in Feb. 1890. In 1910, at age 20, he worked as a railroad fireman. Harry was united in matrimony with Pearl Powell (1892- ? ). Their family of children included Franklin Porter, Betty Porter and Charles Porter. He migrated to Ohio and dwelled in Massillon, Stark County, OH in 1948. He further moved to Canton, Stark County, OH and is known to have lived there in 1963.
Son Jesse H. "Skip" Porter (1892-1963) was born in April 1892 in Eckhart, Allegany County. As a teen, in 1910, he labored as a driver in the local coal mines, and in 1920 earned wages as a coal mine laborer at Eckhart Mines. He was united in matrimonial union with Thelma Kroll ( ? - ? ). The couple did not reproduce. They first put down roots in Lonaconing, Allegany County, on the outskirts of Cumberland, and were there in 1948. By 1957, they relocated to Canton, Stark County, OH. Then by 1963, they were back in Eckhart. Jesse died in Cumberland's Memorial Hospital on Jan. 13, 1963. His obituary was printed in the Cumberland News. Rev. William Anderson, of the Eckhart Methodist Church, presided over the funeral service. The remains were lowered into the sacred soil of Eckhart Cemetery.
Daughter Lillian "Lillie" Porter (1894- ? ) was born in May 1894.
Daughter Bertha Porter (1894- ? ) was born in Aug. 1896. She married Colonne Long (1897-1952), a native of Vale Summit, MD and the son of C.L. and Bertha Long. They settled in Frostburg, with an address of 125 East Main Street, and appear not to have reproduced. The Longs are known in July 1937 to have spent a vacation camping near Mt. Pleasant [MD/VA?] on the west branch of the Rappahannock River. In 1939, they spent a summer holiday in Atlantic City and Philadelphia. Colonne's name was in the news in April 1946 when the pavement near the old McCulloh hotel, and the Long building where they lived, began to sink due to subsidence from an old, collapsing water well. Colonne suffered a devastating stroke in late January 1952 and was admitted to Miner's Hospital in Frostburg. A day later, he was dead at the age of 54. An obituary in the Cumberland News said that he "had resided here the greater part of his life and was an active member of the Frostburg Fire Department."
Son A. Dewey Porter (1898-1965) was born in Oct. 1898 in Eckhart, Allegany County. He may have been named for Admiral George Dewey, victorious U.S. Navy officer during the Spanish-American War at the Battle of Manila Bay. Circa 1920, when he was 21 years of age, he worked as a coal mine laborer at Eckhart Mines. He established a home in nearby Frostburg, MD, and lived at 108 Center Street. He wedded Marie (Kamauf) Gray ( ? - ? ). She brought a son to the union, Robert Gray. Dewey and Marie themselves did not reproduce. He was employed as a fireman at Frostburg State College. He was a member of First English Baptist Church of Frostburg. On the dark day of Feb. 3, 1965, while walking to work, the 66-year-old Dewey was struck and badly injured by a passing automobile on the steep College Avenue at the intersection of Wood Street. He was rushed to Miners Hospital by the driver who struck him and succumbed to his injuries there, having suffered "a crushed chest, numerous fractures and internal injuries," reported the Cumberland Evening Times.
~ Son Frank Beals ~
Son Frank Beals (1866-1932) -- originally spelled "Beal" -- was born on March 20, 1866 in Pennsylvania, most likely in Somerset County, although he thought his birthplace was in Maryland. His birth year also has been given as 1853, a discrepancy not quite understood, except that he may have fibbed as his wife was 11 years older than he.
In about 1885, the 19-year-old Frank entered into marriage with 30-year-old Martha (Addis) Watson (May 6, 1855-1922), daughter of John and Nancy (Stewart) Addis of Broad Ford, Fayette County. In an interesting twist, his sister Isabelle married her brother John "William" Addis.
Martha appears to have been married previously to John Watson ( ? - ? ) and to have brought eight children to the second union -- Cora V. Jones, John Watson, George Watson, Mrs. Robert Frye, Laura Smolley, Nora Watson and Violet Watson.
Together, they produced a family of three more offspring of their own -- John Beals, Anna Ridenour and Cora Jones.
Frank first earned a living as a farmer in Meyersdale. After eight years of farming, he secured work in coal mines in and around Broad Ford, Morgan Station and Owensdale, Upper Tyrone Township, Fayette County, PA.
Frank and Martha were badly burned in an accident at home during the Christmas season in 1902. Martha's mother Nancy was "standing in front of an open grate fire when her clothing caught fire from the flames," reported the Connellsville Weekly Courier. "She became unconscious soon after the flames were put out and is in a very low condition. Mr. and Mrs. Beals were badly burned about the hands and arms in fighting the fire."
They remained in the Owensdale community for many years.
Sadly, Martha was felled by a stroke and appears to have lingered until death took her away, at the age of 67, on July 29, 1922. Her obituary in the Connellsville Daily Courier noted that she "had been a life long resident of Owensdale and was well known. She was a devout member of the Hickory Square Methodist Episcopal Church."
Frank survived for another decade. Suffering from high blood pressure, he suffered a stroke of paralysis and was dead three days later, on Feb. 6, 1932. The remains were buried next to his wife's in Cochrane Cemetery in Dawson, Fayette County. Mrs. Albert Jones, of 301 East Fairview Avenue in Connellsville, signed the Pennsylvania certificate of death.
Stepdaughter Cora V. Watson (1876-1962) was born on March 22, 1875 in Broad Ford near Connellsville. She married Albert S. "Bert" Jones ( ? - ? ). Two sons born into this family were Walter Gorman Jones and Harry Jones. The couple is known to have attended the eighth annual Addis reunion in August 1937, held at Shady Grove Park, with Cora elected treasurer. They held a membership in the Greenwood Methodist Church, a congregation co-founded in the early 1920s by Cora's distant cousin, Rev. David Ewing Minerd, the famed "Blacksmith Preacher" of Fayette County. Circa August 1971, the Joneses took their son Harry and grandson Walter on a driving trip west, making stops in Salt Lake City and Colorado, and logging 5,138 miles. Their address in 1932-1940 was 301 East Fairview Avenue in Connellsville. In 1970, at the age of 85, she attended the 31st homecoming of the Old Hickory Square Methodist Church at Broad Ford and was recognized as the oldest woman present. Cora suffered a heart attack and died at the age of 86 in Connellsville State Hospital on March 18, 1962. Son Walter G. Jones of 323 West Crawford Avenue in Connellsville signed the death certificate. Rev. Blossom Lenhart led the funeral, with burial in Cochran Cemetery in Dawson, Fayette County.
Stepson John Watson established his residence in Brownsville, Fayette County.
Stepson George Watson lived in Connellsville.
Stepdaughter (?) Watson married Robert Frye. They made a home in Dunbar, Fayette County.
Stepdaughter Laura Watson wedded (?) Smolley. The couple dwelled in Dunbar, Fayette County.
Stepdaughter Nora Watson resided in Dunbar, Fayette County.
Stepdaughter Violet Watson was in Dunbar, Fayette County circa 1962.
Daughter Nancy Beals (1886- ? ) was born in about 1886.
Son John Franklin Beals (1888-1969) was born in 1888. A bachelor at the age of 21, in 1910, he lived at home in Upper Tyrone Township and worked as a coal miner. He married Nellie Dewalt (1885- ? ). Their brood of offspring are believed to have been George Beal, Edgar Beal, (?) Beal, Viola Beal and Pauline Beal. They dwelled in Connellsville, PA in 1932-1962.
Daughter Anna Beals (1894-1945), perhaps also known as "Nancy," was born on Aug. 2, 1894 in Broad Ford, Fayette County. She wedded Milton Lohr Ridenour (May 3, 1882-1958), son of John and Anna Ridenour. The children were born in this family -- Lloyd Ridenour, Earl Ridenour and Edna Ridenour. They lived circa 1922 in Owensdale and in 1932 in Broad Ford, a coal mining and coke oven community near Connellsville. Milton is known to have labored as a coal miner. They were members of the Hickory Square Methodist Church at Broad Ford. Then in about 1943, the couple appears to have separated or divorced, with Anna moving into the city of Connellsville and Milton relocating to Philippi, Barbour County, WV. Anna's address in the 1940s was 218 Hill Street. Without warning, at the age of 51, she suffered a cerebral hemorrhage and died at home on Oct. 10, 1945. Her remains were placed into eternal repose in Cochran Cemetery in Dawson, and an obituary appeared in the Connellsville Daily Courier. The widowed Milton married again to Nellie Bennett Vasto ( ? - ? ) and produced another son, Milton Ridenour Jr., born in 1946
~ Daughter Anna Evelyn "Annie" (Beal) Bruce ~
Daughter Anna Evelyn "Annie" Beal (1867-1943) was born on April 22, 1867 in Maryland.
On June 19, 1882, in a ceremony held in Piedmont, MD/WV, she married Robert Oliver Bruce (Feb. 23, 1857-1934), a native of Piedmont, WV and the son of John and Rachel (Duff) Bruce.
The couple initially lived in West Virginia, where their first two children were born in 1884-1887. For reasons not yet known, they migrated to Texas where two more of their offspring were born in Houston in 1887-1888.
They returned north and were in Maryland in 1899 and Scottdale, Westmoreland County, PA in 1900, when the federal census was taken. In about 1904, the family relocated into Connellsville, Fayette County, PA and remained for good.
Seven children borne by this couple were Pearl Clifford Guie, Oliver "Frank" Bruce, Lillian B. Camp, Alma Bruce, Margaret M. Goucher, Helen Bruce and Alberta Fern Dull plus one who was deceased by 1910.
Robert earned a living for three decades as a blacksmith with the Connellsville Manufacturing, Mine and Supply Company. Most of their years in Connellsville were lived in the Greenwood section of the city's West Side. In 1910, cousin Frank Dahl of Maryland is known to have boarded in their home.
The family belonged to Trinity Lutheran Church, and Robert was active with its Men's Bible Class. Their address in the 1920s was at 122 South Cottage Avenue and in the 1930s was at 113 Cottage Avenue.
The Bruces celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1932 with a large family gathering at Shady Rest, along Springfield Pike, the summer home of the parents of their son-in-law Dr. John "Harold" Dull. Reported the Connellsville Daily Courier:
The affair... was a most pleasant occasion. A marked feature of the day was a prettily appointed 1 o'clock dinner, prepared and served by Mrs. [Pearl] Guie, Mrs. [Lillian] Camp and Mrs. [Alberta] Dull. A color motif of gold and white predominated. The guests were seated at one large table, which was made attractive with a bowl of coreopsis as a centerpiece. The place cards had a gold background and were ornamented with spring flowers. Grace was said by Rev. Dr. W.H. Hetrick, pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church.... The Joy Dispensers Orchestra, of which Edwin Guie, grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Bruce is a member, played during the dinner.... Edwin Guie took pictures, including a moving film, of the group.
Sadly, burdened with diabetes and hardening of the arteries, Robert succumbed to death at the age of 77 on Nov. 22, 1934. He was found dead in bed. Noted the Daily Courier, "Although Mr. Bruce had been ailing, he was not bedfast and his death was unexpected as he had been about as usual and not complained on retiring Wednesday night." Anna Evelyn's final years as a widow were spent in her daughter Dull's home on 512 Wells Road in Connellsville. She was diagnosed with fluid buildup in the lungs and hardening of the arteries. She died at the age of 76 on April 7, 1943. Her pastor, Rev. Dr. William H. Hetrick officiated the funeral held at Trinity church. Her remains were lowered into repose in the sacred soil of Hill Grove Cemetery in Connellsville. An obituary in the Daily Courier said she was survived by a dozen grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Daughter Pearl Clifford Bruce (1891-1964) was born on March 30, 1891 in Piedmont, WV. She grew up in Connellsville and as a young woman earned a living as a bookkeeper. On June 25, 1913, at the age of 27, she wedded 30-year-old Dr. Edwin Bruce Guie Sr. (Feb. 15, 1883-1942), a native of Catawissa, Columbia County, PA and the son of James/William H. and Amanda (McFarland) Guie. Their wedding ceremony was held in Connellsville, by the hand of Ellis B. Burgess. The pair made a home together for 32 years in Dunbar, Fayette County. Their sons were Dr. Edwin Bruce Guie and Dr. Robert William Guie plus an unnamed stillborn son in 1914. Edwin was educated at the West Chester State Normal School and in 1908 received his medical degree from Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia. He interned for six months each at Reading Homeopathic Hospital and Hahnemann Hospital and then for a year at Philadelphia's Cumberland Street Hospital. He relocated in January 1910 to Dunbar, where he practiced medicine for more than three decades, from 1910 to 1942. Pearl belonged to the Dunbar Presbyterian Church and was active with its Ladies Aid Society. Edwin held a membership in Trinity Lutheran Church of Connellsville and local Kiwanis Club and was an honorary member of the Dunbar Volunteer Fire Department. He was elected to the school board of the Dunbar Schools and served for 22 years, including the seat as president from 1925 to 1938. He was defeated for re-election in 1941. During many of those years, his distant cousin Ewing David Minerd was treasurer of the school board.
Stricken with cancer of the rectum, Edwin passed away at home at the age of 59 on Oct. 22, 1942. An obituary in the Connellsville Daily Courier referred to him as "a prominent physician " who was "keenly interested in and always identified with the community life of Dunbar..." His funeral service was co-officiated by four different clergymen -- the couple's pastors Rev. Dr. William H. Hetrick of Trinity church and Rev. J.S. Jewell of the Presbyterian Church, in addition to Rev. William S. Hamilton of Franklin Memorial Methodist Church and Rev. O.G. Cook of Wesley Methodist Church. Interment of the remains was in Green Ridge Memorial Park. An editorial in the Daily Courier said that he:
...was not one to shirk a task given him. He took pride in being faithful in his associations. Membership in the Kiwanis Club of Connellsville is an example. He attended its weekly meetings long after he knew that death was closing in on him. The story of his career reveals that the life of his home community held a warm place in his heart. Longer than anything outside his medical practice, Dr. Guie was connected with the educational program of the town -- 22 years as a member of the board of school directors, much of the time as its president, which speaks volumes for the confidence his fellow members placed in his ability. For Dr. Guie himself, death came as a relief from intense suffering -- from a malady he knew medical science knows little about combatting. For the town of his adoption, his passing is a distinct loss.
As a widow, Pearl resided at 43 Railroad Street. In March 1956, she is known to have attended a Ladies Aid meeting at the home of a distant cousin Beth and Evelyn Bird (Kelley) Robbins on Railroad Street, with their married daughter Evelyn "Honey Girl" (Robbins) Bunting providing piano music, of the family of Stephen and Emma Jane (Fuller) Robbins. The angel of death swept her into eternity on April 26, 1964, with burial at Green Ridge. Inscrobed on her flat bronze grave marker is the epitaph reading: "The dear one missing from our home. In memory, we e'er recall, with lonely, aching empty hearts, and tears that never fail to fall." In 1983, the book Dunbar: The Furnace Town named Edwin on a number of pages.
Son Oliver "Frank" Bruce (1886-1950) was born in Feb. 1886 in West Virginia. He spent his childhood and adolescence in Connellsville, Fayette County, PA. He was of medium height and slender build, and had brown hair and brown eyes. During the World War I years, he lived in Johnstown, Cambria County, PA and earned a living as a cook at the Lincoln Hotel on Washington Street. At the age of 28, in about 1915, he married 18-year-old Thelma "Rose" Stormer (1895-1957) of Conemaugh, Cambria County. They first dwelled at 523 Locust Street in Johnstown. The couple made the monumental decision to relocate to California, and established a new home in San Bernardino, San Berndardino County. There, Frank found work circa 1930 as a hotel cook. By 1940, he worked as a dishwasher at the Tip Top Cafe. They were the parents of one son, Robert Oliver Bruce, born about a dozen years into the marriage. Frank died in San Bernardino on July 27, 1950. Thelma survived him by seven years. Death swept her away on May 5, 1957. Interment was in Mountain View Cemetery in San Bernardino.
Daughter Lillian B. Bruce (1888-1960) was born in Nov. 1888 in Texas. She grew to womanhood in Connellsville. On June 22, 1911, when she would have been 22 years of age, she married 22-year-old clerk Everett C. Camp (April 18, 1887-1968), son of Charles and Elizabeth (Kessler) Camp of Selbysport, MD. News of their marriage license was printed in the Uniontown Morning Herald. Rev. J.K. Wismer officiated their nuptials. Five known offspring born to this union were Ruth Eleanor Butler, Emerson Camp, Everett Eugene Camp, Robert Wayne Camp Sr. and Yvonne Smith. Sadness cascaded over the family at the death of their toddler son Everett from bronchial pneumonia on March 8, 1920. The couple were in Connellsville in the 1918-1940 timeframe, with Everett earning a living as a salesman. Their address circa 1918-1919 was 153 South Eighth Street in the Greenwood section. Then in 1942, during World War II, they relocated to Portsmouth, VA, where he was employed by Potter-McCune Grocery Company, Colatch Candy Company and Hajoca Corporation of Norfolk. The couple belonged to the Portsmouth Lutheran Church. Everett retired in 1959 at the age of about 72. After what the Connellsville Daily Courier called "a lingering illness," she died in Portsmouth on Sept. 3, 1960. The remains were shipped to Connellsville for funeral services, led by Rev. H. Wahl Pfeifer, and burial in Hill Grove Cemetery. Everett lived for another eight years as a widower. The spectre of death carried him away on June 23, 1968. His obituary also appeared in the Daily Courier.
Daughter Margaret M. Bruce (1894-1964) was born on Feb. 18, 1894 in Houston, TX. She spent her growing-up years in Connellsville. Margaret was united in wedlock with 28-year-old James D. Goucher (1888- ? ). The couple produced a family of three children -- Robert Goucher, Howard Leslie Goucher Sr. and Jean Doris Goucher. The family migrated to Canton, Stark County, OH and were there in 1918-1935, with James working as an electrician, performing house wiring. Margaret's mother is known to have traveled to Canton for a visit in July 1918. By 1935, presumably separated, she had returned to Connellsville and made a residence on West Apple Street. She supported herself in 1940 as a seamstress for a sewing project, and later as a receptionist. Margaret is known to have vacationed with her brother Dr. J. Harold Dull and family in Ocean City, NJ in August 1947. Later, Margaret made a home at 113 South Cottage Avenue. Suffering from hardening of the arteries, she was felled by a heart attack and passed away at home at the age of 70 on July 8, 1964. Burial was in Green Ridge Memorial Park.
Daughter Helen Bruce (1899- ? ) was born in Nov. 1899 in Maryland. In infancy she relocated with her parents to Scottdale, Westmoreland County, PA. She is shown in their household in 1900, when the federal census was taken. Her fate is not known, and she may well have died young.
Daughter Alberta Fern Bruce (1902-1981) was born on Oct. 15, 1902 in Pennsylvania. She was a 1920 graduate of Connellsville High School and as a young woman joined the Hospital Club as a charter member. She was joined in matrimony with Dr. John "Harold" Dull (Oct. 1, 1902-1982), son of Stanton Bailey and Bertha L. (Kemp) Dull. They were the parents of Dr. Harold "Bruce" Dull and Joyce Sepp. Harold was a 1927 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh dental school and that year went into private practice, opening an office in the McCrory Building. The Dulls resided at 512 Wills Road in Connellsville. He was well-known for his community-mindedness. He helped found the Connellsville Booster Club in 1943 and was its first president. He was elected chairman of the Connellsville Recreation Board and in 1947 organized "a successful summer season of weekly night entertainment at East Park," earning praise in a Connellsville Daily Courier editorial. The 1947 work included opening a spray pool for children in the park. In 1955, Alberta helped plan the 35th reunion of the Connellsville High class of 1920, a dinner held at Pleasant Valley Country Club. He was held terms in the 1950s as president of the Connellsville Chamber of Commerce. Harold was named chairman of Connellsville's Sesquicentennial celebration in 1956, marking the city's 150th birthday, serving on an executive committee with two of his wife's distant Minerd cousins who had been mayors at one time -- Dr. Harold "Daniel" Minerd and Ira "David" Younkin. The anniversary year included creation of a landmark which Harold had recommended -- a 16-foot-high "eternal flame monument" installed by Manufacturers Light and Heat Company. Reported the Daily Courier, the structurer stood at the corner of North Pittsburgh Street and Route 119 -- "The upper section of the simulated marble monument is eight feet in height. It is topped by a Grecian lamp and burner." During the month of December 1965, he himself was elected as mayor of Connellsville, carrying the vote in six of the seven wards, succeeding Mayor John W. Collins. He served as mayor until resigning midway through his second term in 1971, citing "personal reasons." The Kiwanis honored him in 1967 as "Kiwanian of the Year." Alberta passed away in Aug. 1981 at the age of 78. Harold followed her into eternity a year later, in 1982.
~ Daughter Rachel (Beal) Dahl ~
Daughter Rachel Beal (1868- ? ) was born in about 1868 in Maryland.
Circa 1887, when she would have been about 18 or 19 years of age, she entered into marriage with William Dahl (June 1853- ? ), an immigrant from Germany.
Together, they bore an astonishing 14 children -- Joseph Dahl, William Dahl, Francis A. "Frank" Dahl, Harry Dahl, Magdalena "Lena" Dahl, Rosa Dahl, Frederick Dahl, Elizabeth Dahl, Daniel Dahl, Mary T. Dahl, Catherine Dahl and George Dahl, plus two who died young and were deceased by 1910.
When the federal census enumerations were made in 1900, the Dahls dwelled in Cumberland, Allegany County, MD. William earned a living as a stone cutter and mason.
Son Joseph Dahl (1888- ? ) was born in March 1888. He wedded Anna Simma and were the parents of William Dahl, Frank Dahl and Leroy Dahl.
Son William John Dahl (1892- ? ) was born in Nov. 1892. A bachelor at age 18, in 1910, he lived at home and worked in a local bakery. He married Mary Wade ( ? - ? ). The family of children they bore together included William Dahl, Maxine Dahl and Harry Dahl.
Son Francis A. "Frank" Dahl (1893- ? ) was born in April 1893.
Son Harry H. Dahl (1894- ? ) was born in May 1894. He was a bakery worker in 1910 when he was 15 years of age.
Daughter Magdalena "Lena" Dahl (1896- ? ) was born in Jan. 1896. She entered into marriage with John Long ( ? - ? ). They became the parents of Mary Long and Robert Long.
Daughter Rosa "Rosie" Dahl (1897- ? ) was born in May 1897. She was joined in holy matrimony with John Humbird ( ? - ? ).
Daughter Frederick Dahl (1898- ? ) was born in June 1898.
Daughter Elizabeth Dahl (1900- ? ) was born in about 1900. She was united in wedlock with Frank Sally ( ? - ? ). The three offspring born to this marriage were Frank Sally, William Sally and Betty Sally.
Son Daniel Dahl (1901- ? ) was born in about 1901. He married Ella Collins (1906- ? ). The couple's pair of children were Mildred Dahl and Donald Dahl.
Daughter Mary T. Dahl (1901- ? ) was born in about 1901. She wedded Earl Bennett (1899- ? ). Their one known son was Walter Bennett.
Daughter Catherine L. Dahl (1905- ? ) was born in about 1905. She was joined in the bonds of wedlock with Stace Parker. The couple bore a daughter, Betty Parker.
Son George Dahl (1906- ? ) was born in about 1906.
~ Daughter Isabelle (Beal) Addis ~
Daughter Isabelle Beal (1872-1934) was born on April 2 or 12, 1872 in Cumberland, Allegany County, MD.
She was joined in the bonds of matrimony with John "William" Addis (March 31, 1865-1934), son of John and Nancy (Stewart) Addis of Dunbar, Fayette County. In an interesting twist, her brother Frank wedded his sister Martha Addis.
They made their residence for most of their lives in the Dry Hill section of Connellsville, Fayette County, PA.
The couple were the parents of Jesse Addis, Anna Crouse/Krouse, Edward Addis, Hazel Klingensmith, Pearl Warner and Mrs. Howard Parker.
William made a living as a hotel clerk.
Just a few weeks before her 63rd birthday, suffering from chronic kidney and heart disease, Isabelle died in Connellsville State Hospital on March 10, 1934. The remains were lowered into rest under the sod of Cochran Cemetery in Dawson, Fayette County, with Rev. Jefferson King preaching the funeral sermon at the Old Hickory Square Methodist Church. Signing the official death certificate was Pearl Warner of Connellsville. The Connellsville Daily Courier printed an obituary.
William only outlived his bride by four months. Having borne hardening of the arteries, death took him away on July 16, 1934, at the age of 69. The Daily Courier said in an obituary that he "had spent most of his life in the Broad Ford valley."
Son Jesse Addis (1888- ? ) was born in 1888. He wedded Alice Slater ( ? - ? ). Their offspring were John Addis and Betty Addis. The Addises lived in Dry Hill near Connellsville in 1934.
Daughter Anna Addis (1896- ? ) was born in 1896. She was joined in wedlock with Fred Crouse/Krouse. Together, they bore these known children -- Fred Krause, Donald Krause and Ivan Krause. Anna lived with her parents in Dry Hill in 1934.
Son Edward Addis dwelled with his parents and sister Anna Crouse in Dry Hill circa 1934.
Daughter Hazel Addis (1898- ? ) was born in 1898. She married Ray Klingensmith ( ? - ? ). They migrated to Everettsville, WV. Children born to this marriage were Thelma Klingensmith, Margaret Klingensmith, Charles Klingensmith and Lois Klingensmith.
Daughter Pearl Addis was united in matrimony with Will Warner. They were the parents of James Warner. Circa 1934, the couple was in Chicago.
Daughter (?) Warner wedded Howard Parker. Their residence in the mid-1930s was in Grant Town, WV.
~ Daughter Christina "Tina" Beal ~
Daughter Christina "Tina" Beal (1870- ? ) was born in about 1870.
At the age of 10, in 1880, she was counted with her parents in the federal census of Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD.
More about her life will be added here when known.