What's New

Photo of the Month

Minerd.com Blog


National Reunion


Cousin Voices

Honor Roll

In Lasting Memory

In the News

Our Mission and Values

Annual Review

Favorite Links

Contact Us


Susanna (Gaumer) 
Sturtz Baughman



Susana's grave, Adamsville, OH

Susanna (Gaumer) Sturtz Baughman was born in 1790 in Southampton Township, Somerset County, PA, the daughter of Johann "Jacob" and Maria Catherine (Sowash) Gaumer.

In 1810, when she was 20 years of age, Susanna married her first husband, 23-year-old Jacob Sturtz (1787-1834) of Wellersburg, Southampton Township, Somerset County. He was the son of Christian and (?) (Shoemaker) Sturtz Jr. and grandson of Christian Sturtz Sr., a farmer of Somerset County. Jacob grew up on his parents' 800-acre farm, "of Pennsylvania Dutch stock [who] received a common-school education in German, was reared a farmer and married Susan Gaumer," said the 1892 book Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Muskingum County (Chicago: Goodspeed Publishing Co.).

They produced 10 known children -- Daniel Sturtz, Charles Sturtz, Lucinda Brelsford, Catherine Sturtz, Adam Sturtz, Andrew Jacob Sturtz, Lydia Sturtz, Martin Sturtz, Solomon Sturtz and Margaret Sturtz. Sadly, two or perhaps even three of their offspring died young -- eldest son Daniel (born in Pennsylvania who died in 1819 in Ohio at age nine), Susanna in infancy in 1820 in Maryland, and possibly son Martin as a baby in 1828.

At some point in about 1808, the Sturtzes moved to Ohio and settled in Washington Township, Muskingum County. Susanna's parents had relocated there in 1806 followed by Susanna's brother Daniel Gaumer Sr. in 1809.

During the War of 1812, Jacob served as a rifleman in Captain Robert McConnell's company of soldiers and "was in several fights with the Indians," reported Biographical and Historical Memoirs.

Evidence suggests that the family moved around somewhat frequently. By 1818, they had relocated to Adams Township on a farm later owned by George W. Bell. Other evidence suggests that they were in Oldtown, Allegany County, MD in 1818, and then were back in Muskingum County in 1823.


Jacob's grave, Adamsville

According to a profile of his grandson John P. Sturtz in the Biographical and Historical Memoirs, Jacob was:

...handy at almost any work. He was a blacksmith, gunsmith and carpenter, and very often built houses. Among other things, he prepared gunpowder and charcoal, and was considered one of the best hunters of the time in his county. He was a member of the Lutheran church in Salem township, held the office of church trustee, and assisted in the building of this church. When he died he was but forty-seven years of age.

Jacob is believed to have been elected "fence viewer" in the new township of Adams on April 2, 1827.

Sadly, Jacob passed away on Christmas Eve 1834, at the age of 47. His remains were lowered into repose in the New Hope Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery near Adamsville. [Find-a-Grave] Today, his grave marker still stands but a significant portion of the lettering has eroded away. As best can be deciphered, the epitaph was taken from traditional New England grave markers and reads as follows:

Dear friends, [illegible] nor weep:
I am [illegible] do sleep.
And here [illegible] remain
Till Christ [illegible] forth again.
He soon will end death's reign


1881 History of Knox County, Ohio

Later in about 1838, after four years as a widow, Susanna wed her second spouse, Jacob Baughman (1789-1870), a native of Pennsylvania or Maryland. (Sources differ.) 

Jacob had migrated from Somerset County to the central part of Union Township, Knox County, OH in 1809. Along with his brother in law John Welker Sr., Jacob is mentioned in Albert Adams Graham's 1881 book History of Knox County, Ohio: Its Past and Present.

Circa 1850, she and Baughman made their home on a farm in Union Township, Knox County. The federal census of 1850 shows three teenagers living in their dwelling place -- Solomon Stotts ("Sturtz"?) (age 17), Priscilla Bretsford (13) and Margaret Mowery (18), all born in Ohio. 

Later that year, Susanna died in Adamsville on Oct. 10, 1850, at the age of 60, and was placed into eternal repose in the cemetery land her brother Jacob had donated at the New Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church. On her marker, the names of both of her husbands were inscribed. [Find-a-Grave]


Graham's History of Knox 
County, Ohio,

Jacob outlived his wife by two decades. When the Civil War erupted, at least three of his step-offspring held military service in the Union Army.

Eventually Jacob married again to Mary (Welker) McElroy (1795- ? ). When the federal census again was enumerated in 1870, they made their home in Union Township. Residing under their roof were 35-year-old farmer Washington Baughman and 22-year-old Elizabeth Rhyne. Living next door was Mary's presumed son, 48-year-old John Welker and his wife Elizabeth and six children -- Lyman Welker, Francis Welker, Amanda Welker, Mary Welker, George Welker and Edgar Welker.

He died at the age of 81 on Nov. 23, 1870, in Knox County. His remains were placed into rest in the Workman Cemetery in Danville, Knox County. His will was filed on Jan. 23, 1871 in Knox County.

One source suggests that son Martin did not die in childhood in 1828 but in fact grew to adulthood, married Hetta Molly Robeson ( ? - ? ) and passed away sometime around 1890.


~ Son Charles Sturtz ~


New Hope Cemetery, Adamsville

Son Charles Sturtz (1813-1895) was born on Feb. 19, 1813 on his parents' farm in Washington Township, Muskingum County. 

Said the Biographical and Historical Memoirs, he "received but little education in the old log schools of that time. He attended school, in all, about three months, learning to read and write, and learned the usual work of a farmer boy, becoming very handy with a rifle. He shot his first deer when but even years of age.

At the age of 20, in 1833, Charles married Rachel Bainter (1811-1895), daughter of Adam and Elizabeth (Shroyer) Bainter and granddaughter of Philip Shroyer, also a pioneer settler of Muskingum.

They produced 10 known children -- Elizabeth L. Sturtz, Margaret Sturtz, Adam Claude Sturtz, Susan C. Sturtz, Jacob L. Sturtz, John P. Sturtz, Mary M. Sturtz, Charles N. Sturtz, Rachel A. Sturtz, Josiah Sturtz and Andrew J. Sturts.

Sadness blanketed the family as they lost several offspring over the years. Their youngest son Josiah died in infancy. Daughter Rachel succumbed in the 1850s. Son Andrew died in January 1859 at only a few months of age. And daughter Margaret passed away in about 1869 when in her 20s. The epitaphs on their upright grave markers at New Hope are worn and difficult to decipher.

Following their marriage, Charles purchased a farm in Salem Township where they remained for decades. His deed was signed by President Andrew Jackson. He also acquired a sawmill on Symms Creek in Section 4 in about 1836, which produced much of the lumber used to build houses in Adamsville. "This mill he operated until 1850, when he built a new one, and also had a store for three years, from 1847 to 1850, in Coshocton County," said the Biographical and Historical Memoirs. He was a very prosperous farmer, and now owns 320 acres of well-improved land. He is a prominent member of the Lutheran church, of Adamsville, and has been a church trustee." He voted the Democrat ticket and belonged to the Hubbard lodge of the Masons. 

Federal census records for 1850 and 1860 show the Sturtzes living as farmers in Salem Township, Muskingum County. In 1860, 26-year-old farm laborer Abraham Sturtz made his home under their roof. For some 27 years, Philip A. Baker, M.D. of Mt. Vernon, OH was their family physician.

Even more heartache enveloped the family in early June 1873 when their son Charles drowned while fishing in the Muskingum River. (See below for details.) Charles Sr. was named in a story abou the accident in the Cambridge (OH) Jeffersonian.


L-R: Sturtz siblings graves at New Hope -- Rachel, Andrew, Margaret


Charles kept a family Bible in which he inscribed records of the births of each of the children. The book was published in 1867 by Harding & Son, No. 57 South Third Street in Philadelphia. By 1913, the Bible had been lost, and only the handwritten pages remained, "in a dilapidated condition, the leaves having become loose and in danger of being lost and destroyed," wrote a notary public who had examined them.

During the Civil War, they worried as sons Adam and Jacob left home to serve in the Union Army.

Sadly, both Charles and Rachel died the same year, Charles on Aug. 26, 1895 and Rachel on Oct. 28, 1895. 

They are buried in New Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery near Adamsville. [Find-a-Grave

Daughter Elizabeth L. Sturtz (1835- ? ) was born in about 1835 and grew up in Salem Township, Muskingum County. At age 25, unmarried, she lived at home with her parents. She was married (to whom?) and was deceased by 1892.

Daughter Margaret Sturtz (1836-1863) was born in about 1836. Single at age 23, in 1860, she dwelled at home with her parents. She died just five days shy of her 26th birthday on March 2, 1863. Another source states she was age 22 at death.

Son Adam Claude Sturtz (1839-1918) was born on March 24, 1839 near Adamsville, Muskingum County. He grew up as a friend and schoolmate of William H. Gaumer (relationship unknown), "often in each other's society and intimate as boys usually are, and consequently confidential," Gaumer wrote. Another childhood friend was Orin Richardson. As an adult, Adam stood five feet, seven inches tall, with a dark complexion, dark hair and black eyes, and weighed 140 lbs. Friends considered him as a "sound hearty boy and young man." He seems to have gone by the name "Claude" until joining the Army when he would have been forced to go by his first name. Adam and his brother Jacob served during the Civil War as members of the 160th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Adam rose to the rank of corporal. Adam, Jacob and chum Gaumer re-enlisted on Feb. 15, 1865 in the 191st Ohio Infantry, Company D. While stationed at Winchester, VA in June 1865, he was engaged in lifting heavy logs in the construction of pontoon bridges for crossing rivers, and he said the strain caused an outbreak of hemorrhoids. About that time, he contracted typhoid fever and was so debilitated that his tent mate Gaumer had to turn him with a blanket. The fever caused "roaring in the head" which led to "some deafness in both ears," he wrote. He was treated in an army hospital in Winchester and received an honorable discharge there on Aug. 27, 1865. Said friend Jacob A. Snoots, Adam returned home "a complete physical wreck. He took to his bed and for several months afterward was not able to leave the house." On Sept. 5, 1868, at the age of 29, Adam married 24-year-old Rachel "Rae" Sarbaugh (1844-1919). Their nuptials were held in Coshocton County, OH by the hand of justice of the peace Luther L. Cantwell. The Sturtzes spent their lives farming near Adamsville. They had at least two children, Mynne D. Pocock and Kirke Henry Sturtz. On July 2, 1873, having filed a claim for the "Rheumatism and resulting disease of heart and piles" he was suffering, he was awarded a military pension as compensation for his wartime service. [Invalid App. #184.872 - Cert. #406.476]. "Most every winter I have been laid low for a spell," he wrote, "sometimes several weeks. I don't attempt to work in the winter season, only a little feeding." He believed his rating of disability too low, and often petitioned the government for increases in his monthly payments. Friends Snoots, James Hunter of Adamsville, Orin Richardson of Zanesville and relative John O. Sarbaugh of Hindsboro, IL, provided written testimony to support the claims. At times, when granted increases, the news was published in newspapers such as the Springfield (OH) Daily Republic. The federal census of 1900 shows the Sturtzes in Salem Township, with 30-year-old daughter Mynne and 22-year-old son Kirke living under their roof. When examined by a military physician in 1913, Adam was described as suffering from rheumatism of back and left shoulder and arm; muscles in both instance atrophied. 1/2 arm helpless and constant pain." He also had varicose veins of the left leg. The doctor noted that for the past four years, Adam had been "taking maximum doses of Digitalis," a medication intended to strengthen heart muscles and improve heartbeat. Stricken with senile dementia, he was admitted to the Columbus State Hospital. He died there at the age of 79 on Oct. 2, 1918. His remains were returned to Adamsville for interment. [Find-a-Grave] News of his passing was published in the Coshocton Tribune. After his death, his widow began to receive the monthly pension payments. [Widow App. #1.129.717 - Cert. #865.022]. She died but a year later, in 1919. In October 1933, in a short feature "15 Years Ago Today," the Tribune reprinted the news of Adam's passing in a two-sentence story. The Tribune ran a similar short piece in October 1938 upon the 20th anniversary of the death.


Surgeon's sketch of Adam's varicose veins in the left and right legs, 1888


  • Granddaughter Mynne D. Sturtz (1870- ? ) was born on Oct. 4, 1870. Her first name also has been spelled "Minnie." As a young lady, she learned how to make dresses. When she was 30-yars of age in 1900, unmarried, she lived at home with her parents and her occupation was listed by a census taker as "dress maker." In early May 1903, the 33-year-old Mynnee married Jay C. Pocock (1875-1915), son of Lloyd and Martha Ann (Craig) Pocock of Coshocton, in a ceremony held at the home of Mynne's brother Kirke near Adamsville. Officiating was Rev. J.S. Eaton of the Adamsville Methodist Episcopal Church. In reporting the news of the wedding, the Coshocton Daily Age said she was " a well known dressmaker of this place and has a large circle of friends," while J.C. was "the son of a well known business man of Coshocton." The couple went on to produce two known offspring, Winifred Pocock and Lloyd Pocock. Sadly, Winifred is believed to have died young. Jay made a living over the years as a driver of "hacks," a type of taxi driver using horse and buggy. He purchased a 50-percent ownership of John Elson's hack business in September 1909, to be known as the "Elson Hack Line" with stables on Walnut Street. "Both men are old horsemen," said the Coshocton Daily Times, "and with the large number of present patrons the prospects of a good fall business it will be a thriving institution." He was a member of the Eagles lodge. Jay became ill with some sort of paralysis and in the fall of 1910 lived with his mother in Canton, Stark County, OH. He returned to Coshocton, where in November 1910 the Daily Age noted that he was "suffering with a severe attack of infantile paralysis, a disease which rarely attacks people of mature age." To support herself during Jay's illness, Mynne immersed herself in work, advertising her dressmaking services in the Daily Age, with her business located at 230 North Third Street. She took an interest in the latest fashion and, while frustrated by her small town society's reluctance to adapt to new styles, attended the Fashion and Art League Convention in Chicago in 1915. No longer able to drive, Jay took a position as manager of the Howard Wolfe livery barns in Coshocton circa 1913. He finally succumbed of pneumonia on March 9, 1915 while in his mother's home on South Fifth Street. Dr. A.B. Markley of the Emmanuel Lutheran Church, and Dr. J.S. Secrest, of the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church, officiated at the funeral services. The Coshocton Morning Tribune published an obituary, and burial was in the South Lawn Cemetery in Coshocton. Widowed at the age of 45, Mynne never remarried and remained in Coshocton. Proud of her father's military service, she was a member of the Daughters of Veterans and its Women's Relief Corps No. 258 in cooperation with the Grand Army of the Republic, and in 1922 was elected secretary of the organization. She hosted meetings of the DOV at her home at 121 South Fourth Street in Coshocton, as reported in the gossip columns of the Coshocton Tribune. Over the years, she was named in scores of Tribune articles about DOV meetings and business. By 1932, she had moved to a new residence at 401 South Lawn Avenue. In April 1937, she and her married son Lloyd hosted as weekend guests her brother Kirke and his family, in town from Dayton, OH. In company with Mrs. Peter Wardrop and Ella Failor, Mynne made a driving trip in September 1939 along Skyline Drive in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley, visiting Washington national park. In July 1940, she vacationed with her son and family at Cask Villa on Lake Erie. By 1956, she was considered "crippled" and resided alone in an apartment in Coshocton. Tragedy struck just five days before Christmas 1956. After placing a coffee pot on her stove, her clothing ignited by the flame on the burner, but she walked out of the kitchen unaware. Jane Fiecoat, living in the apartment upstairs heard her scream and ran down to help, only to find her "in an overstuffed chair, enveloped in flames," reported the Dover (OH) Reporter. Fiecoat put out the fire and called the fire department, but it was too late. Mynne died of severe burns and suffocation. The story was reprinted across the state in the Cincinnati Enquirer, Sandusky Register, Logan Daily News and Circleville Herald. Son Lloyd Pocock was married and had two daughters, Charlene Pocock and Jacquelyn Pocock. Circa 1930, the family dwelled at 1415 Elm Street in Coshocton.
  • Grandson Kirke Henry Sturtz (1876-1940) was born on Sept. 24, 1876 (or 1877 or 1879). He also spelled his name "Kyrke." Evidence suggests that he was married thrice. On April 2, 1902, he was joined in wedlock with his first bride, Ora Nevada Winn (1880-1909), daughter of F.P. and Rose (Taylor) Winn of Adamsville. Rev. N.D. Creamer performed the ceremony. They lived in Coshocton, OH and produced one known son, Franklin "Wynne" Sturtz, born in about 1905. Kirke was a member of the Adamsville Camp of the Modern Woodmen of America. From time to time the couple returned to Adamsville for visits. Sadly, Ora contracted a deadly case of typhoid fever and gastro-entestinal influenza and succumbed in Salem in Feb. 20, 1909 at age 28. Her father, living in Newark, OH, signed the death certificate. Burial was in the New Hope Lutheran Cemetery. An obituary in the Coshocton Weekly Times noted that she "was the sister-in-law of Mrs. Jay Pocock of Coshocton." The 1910 United States Census shows the widowed Kirke and his young son living under his parents' roof in Salem Township. His second wife is believed to have been Goldie A. (1881- ? ), and if so, they were wedded in 1920. By 1940, Kirke was joined in marital union with Lola (1880- ? ), an Indiana native. Kirke earned a living as a house painter circa 1910. In 1920-1937, he was a drug salesman in Dayton, Montgomery County and in 1940 in Darke County, OH. Suffering from hardening of the arteries, Kirke suffered a stroke and died just two days before his 64th birthday on Sept. 22, 1940. He was interred in Abbotsville (?) Cemetery. Son Wynne Sturtz married and lived in Dayton and had two daughters, Martha Jane Sturtz and Janice Sturtz.

Daughter Susan C. Sturtz (1840- ? ) was born in about 1840 and grew up in Salem Township, Muskingum County. She lived at home with her parents in 1860.


Adamsville, OH

Son Jacob L. Sturtz (1843-1903) was born on Jan. 25, 1843 in Adamsville, Muskingum County. In young adulthood, he stood five feet, eight inches tall and weighed 130 lbs. His complexion was dark and his eyes hazel/brown. Jacob learned the blacksmith trade. He and his brother Adam served in the Union Army during the Civil War. Jacob was assigned to the 160th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company E. He enlisted on May 2, 1864 and was mustered out on Sept. 7, 1864. He and his brother Adam then re-enlisted on Feb. 15, 1865 in the 191st Ohio Infantry, Company D. While stationed at Winchester, VA, he received an honorable discharge on Aug. 27, 1865. After the war, he relocated to Illinois, residing in Blandinsville, McDonough County. At the age of 27 or 28, on Feb. 19, 1871, Jacob married Kentucky native Mary L. "Mollie" Calvert (Jan. 1850-1943). The ceremony was performed by Rev. B.E. Kaufman (or "Coffman") of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They went on to produce five children -- Myrtle Hall, Ivy Sturtz, Charles Sturtz, Ruby Sturtz and Nd D. Sturtz. The Sturtzes purchased town lots 1 and 4 in Block 19 of the Western Addition of Blandinsville, upon which they built a house. He earned a living following his blacksmithing trade. A year after marriage, Jacob was stricken with inflammation and rheumatism in March 1872 and spent nine months in bed until he recovered. He claimed that his heart bothered him ever after that. Treating him during that period was family physician William M. Huston. On Sept. 20, 1890, he was awarded a military pension for his wartime service [Invalid App. #952.731 - Cert. #793.148]. As he aged, suffering from heart problems, he was treated by his family physician B.F. Duncan. While at a feed lot near his home, on Jan. 18, 1903, he finally succumbed to his incurable heart condition at the age of about 60. Friends found his body, and called for Dr. Duncan, who pronounced him dead. A coroner's inquest ruled that death was due to natural causes. Burial was in Blandinville's Glade City Cemetery. [Find-a-Grave] On March 21, 1903, Mary began to receive $8 in monthly pension payments. [Widow App. #780.932 - Cert. #563.677 - XC #2.674.213] Stepping up to provide affidavits and supporting written testimony on her behalf were longtime friends H.C. Davidson, F.A. York, Abel Fisher and Thomas H. Williams. They testified that her house might rent for $8 per month, but that her entire income from other sources would not exceed $40 annually. Mary endured as a widow for another four decades. She passed into eternity on Dec. 12, 1943.


  • Granddaughter Myrtle Sturtz (1871- ? ) was born on Aug. 1, 1871 in Blandinsville, McDonough County. She married (?) Hall ( ? - ? ). The couple did not reproduce. Sadly, Mr. Hall passed away young, sometime before the year 1900. Census records for 1900 show Myrtle at age 28 as a widow with no children, living under her parents' roof in Blandinsville. She earned income that year as a "landlady."
  • Granddaughter Ivy Sturtz (1875- ? ) was born in about 1875 in Blandinsville. Sadly, Ivy did not survive childhood. She died at about age seven in 1881, with burial in the local Glade City Cemetery.


  • Grandson Charles "Charlie" Sturtz (1877- ? ) was born on July 21, 1877 in Blandinsville.


  • Granddaughter Ruby Sturtz (1881-1945) was born on Jan. 10, 1881 in Blandinsville. Unmarried at the age of 29, in 1910, she dwelled with her widowed mother in Blandinsville and made a living as a dressmaker, working out of their home. By 1920, still single and living with her mother, Ruby had become a teacher in the local public schools. She eventually married Paris Atlee Jobe (1882-1964), son of Carroll Tilton and Charity (Fowler) Jobe of Blandinsville. Federal census records for 1940 show the couple living in Blandinsville, with Paris earning a living as an insurance salesman. Ruby died in Blandinsville on Nov. 15, 1945. She rests in the same burying ground as her parents and siblings -- Glade City Cemetery in Blandinsville. [Find-a-Grave] Paris outlived his wife by 19 years. He succumbed on Nov. 17, 1964.
  • Grandson Ned D. Sturtz (1888-1889) was born in 1888 in Blandinsville. He only spent about a year on earth. He passed away in 1889, with his tender remains lowered into eternal repose in Glade City Cemetery.


South Main Street, Adamsville, early 1900s


Son John P. Sturtz (1845-1897) was born on April 11, 1845 in Muskingum County. He chose to spend his life in Adamsville and became proprietor of the Adamsville Hotel in 1890. He is reputed to have placed the building in "good repair" and furnished the rooms to "meet agreeable standards." On June 10, 1869, at the age of 24, he married 22-year-old Louise C. Mosier (1847-1895), daughter of German immigrants George A. and Anna (Hahn) Moser and granddaughter of Daniel and Catherine (Wendereling) Moser, a potter who came in 1848 from Zweibrücken, Bavaria. Their three known children were Annie E. Ferrell, Clark N. Sturtz and Roland J.H. Sturtz. John is profiled at length in the 1892 book Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Muskingum County (Chicago: Goodspeed Publishing Co.). The newlyweds settled in Adamsville. Said the Biographical and Historical Memoirs book, they "followed farming and teaming for a time, when Mr. Sturtz sold out and moved on a farm in Adams township, lived there one year when he moved to Hayworth farm, where he lived fourteen yeas. On this farm he erected a good house and barn in 1877 and 1878. In 1890 he moved to Adamsville, where he had opened a hardware store in 1889 in company with J.A. Snoots. this was the first hardware store in Adamsville, and they built up a good trade. In 1892 Mr. Sturtz retired and the business is now conducted by Ferrell Bros. In 1890, in connection with his other business, Mr. Sturtz opened a hotel in Adamsville, which has been very successful." He and Louise were members of the Good Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church, where he volunteered as an elder, deacon and Sunday School superintendent. He also served in the elected office of township trustee for a tie. Sadly, Louise was swept away by the Grim Reaper in 1895. John only survived her by two years and died on June 5, 1897 at the age of 52. Interment was in New Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery near Adamsville. [Find-a-Grave]


  • Granddaughter Annie E. Sturtz (1870- ? ) was born on March 12, 1870. On Sept. 30, 1890, she was united in marriage with Elbert Sherman Ferrell (1866-1943), son of Charles and Martha (Shirer) Ferrell of Adamsville. They are believed to have had at least one son, Carl K. Ferrell. Elbert was a hardware dealer and likely worked for Annie's father. Later, they resided in Mt. Vernon, Knox County, OH, where he was employed for 10 years as a post office clerk until retirement. Suffering from cardiovascular problems, and some senility, Elbert died at the age of 77 on May 22, 1943. Interment was in Zanesville.
  • Grandson Clark N. Sturtz (1877-1944) was born on July 29, 1877 in Adamsville. He married Golden N. Cherry (1887-1954), daughter of A.H. and Annie (Bowers) Cherry. Clark was a molder in a glass house in Zanesville, Muskingum County. Circa 1926, he worked as a dealer of motorcycles and bicycles in Zanesville, OH. His address in the 1940s was 511 South Street. Suffering from lung and ear cancer, Clark died in Zanesville's Bethesda Hospital on May 10, 1944. He was placed into repose in Woodlawn Cemetery in Zanesville. Golden survived him by a decade. She passed into eternity in 1954, with burial in Zanesville's Memorial Park Cemetery.
  • Grandson Roland J.H. Sturtz (1883- ? ) was born on Sept. 8, 1883. Circa January 1926, he was employed as general manager of the Hoover-Rowlands Company in Zanesville, Muskingum County, assisting A.C. Nafzger in the store location at Main and Seventh Streets.

Daughter Mary M. Sturtz (1846-1868?) was born in about 1846 and grew to womanhood in Salem Township, Muskingum County. Sadly, she passed away at the age of 22.

Son Charles N. Sturtz (1852-1873) was born in about 1852. Tragically, at the age of 21, in June 1873, he drowned in the Muskingum River. In reporting on the tragedy, the Cambridge (OH) Jeffersonian reported (with misspellings) that the accident occurred "near the mouth Wills Creek. Young Sturtz, with several other men, was fishig with a seine, when, it is supposed, he took the cramp, and, before assistance could reach him, he sank to rise no more. Search was made for the body, but it was not found until Saturday night, when it was discovered, flooting on the water, some two miles below the scene of the accident."

Daughter Rachel A. Sturtz (1855-1863?) was born in about 1855 in Salem Township, Muskingum County. She is said to have died at the age of eight which would place the year of death at 1863.


~ Daughter Lucinda (Sturtz) Brelsford, a.k.a. Belford ~

Lucinda Sturtz (1815-1853) is reputed to have been born on Nov. 26, 1815 in Washington Township, Muskingum County.

Lucinda wedded carpenter Brown Brelsford Sr. (1810- ? ), The family name alternately has been spelled "Belford" and "Brellsford."

The couple is believed to have produced these known children, D. Brelsford, Joshua Belford, Priscilla Chapman, Brown B. Belford and Lucinda Belford, the youngest the only offspring to be born in Iowa.

Federal census records for 1850 show family living in Butler, Knox County, OH, with the 60-year-old Brown plying his trade as a carpenter. Within a year or so, the Brelsfords pulled up stakes and migrated west to Iowa, settling in or near Oskaloosa, Mahaska County.

Sadness enveloped the family when Lucinda died at the age of 40 on Sept. 4, 1853, possibly in childbirth. Her remains were interred in White Oak Grove Cemetery in Oskaloosa.

Brown and daughter Lucinda remained in Oskaloosa, where he earned a living as a carpenter. Circa 1880, he had been stricken with paralysis and lived under the roof of his married daughter Priscilla Chapman in Osceola, Clarke County, IA.

Son D. Brelsford (1832- ? ) was born in 1832 in Ohio. He came west with the family circa 1850. At the age of 28 in 1860, unmarried, he lived under the roof of his married sister Priscilla Chapman in Osceola, Clarke County, IA.

Son Joshua Brellsford (1837-1862?) was born in about 1837 in Ohio. He migrated to Iowa with his parents when he was a young teen. When the Civil War broke out, he lived in Decatur County, IA. He enlisted in the Union Army on April 23, 1862 and was assigned to the 6th Missouri State Militia Cavalry, Company G. He may have died in the service -- this is being researched. Evidence suggests that he may have been killed near Mt. Vernon, Lawrence County, MO on Nov. 23, 1862. Additional evidence hints that his remains may have been reburied on St. Patrick's Day 1865 under the name "Belford" in the Nashville National Cemetery. In 1880, his father filed to receive a father's pension, with the spelling "Brellsford," claiming hardship for his son's death related to military service, but it was not approved. [Father App. #270.646] [Find-a-Grave]

Daughter Priscilla A. Brelsford (1837-1910) was born on July 7, 1837 in Ohio. In about 1856, when she was age 19, she married 25-year-old Benjamin F. Chapman (March 26, 1831-1904), son of Samuel Chapman. Their known offspring were Louis F. Chapman, Carrie Chapman and Florence "Flora" Chapman. Sadly, the couple outlived two of their three children. Benjamin learned the artistic trade of silversmithing, and in 1860, when the family dwelled in Osceola, Clarke County, IA, he worked in this field. By 1870, still in Osceola, with Benjamin had advanced into the profession of jeweler. In 1880, Priscilla's aged father lived under their roof in Osceola and suffered from paralysis. Benjamin was cut away by the Grim Reaper at the age of 73 on July 18, 1904. Sadly, Priscilla died in Osceola at the age of 72 on March 13, 1910. Burial was in Maple Hill Cemetery. [Find-a-Grave]

  • Grandson Louis Franklin Chapman (1858-1883) was born on Jan. 10, 1858 in Iowa. When he was 21 years old, in 1880, he lived at home and worked in his father's jewelry business. He passed away at the age of 25 on July 1, 1883. Burial was in the family plot at Maple Hill Cemetery.
  • Granddaughter Carrie E. Chapman (1859- ? ) was born on May 16, 1859 in Osceola. She only lived to be a year old and died on Aug. 5, 1860. Her tender remains were placed into eternal repose in Maple Hill Cemetery.
  • Granddaughter Florence "Flora" Chapman (1862- ? ) was born in 1862 in Osceola. In about 1884, she wedded Elon Graves (June 7, 1862-1920). Sadly, Elon died in 1920. Florence outlived her husband by more than two decades. She joined him in death on March 11, 1941, at the age of 79. They rest in Maple Hill Cemetery.

Son Brown B. Belford (1848-1930) was born on Feb. 10, 1848 in Ohio. He was only five years old when his mother died. He was joined in wedlock with Louisa M. Shrader (Jan. 12, 1856-1936), daughter of George and Catherine (Miller) Shrader of Green County, WI. They were the parents of Ida Belford, Edwin Belford, Frank Belford, Eunice Belford, Winifred "Winnie" Robertson and Ollie Belford. They resided in Cedar Township, Mahaska County, IA where they were farmers. Later, they relocated to Kirkville, Richland Township, Wapello County, IA, where he worked as a carpenter into his 80s. Circa 1900, Brown was selected as a Republican delegate to the attend the county convention in Ottumwa. Suffering from diabetes and hardening of the arteries at the age of 81, Brown retired. He died a year later on April 5, 1930. Interment was in Kirkville Cemetery. Now widowed, Louise lived for another six years. Her health declined from chronic heart disease and bronchial pneumonia, and when she suffered a cerebral hemorrhage, she only lived a few days before death in rural Ottumwa on Oct. 12, 1936. Winnie Robertson of Ottumwa signed the official certificate of death.

  • Granddaughter Ida Belford (1876- ? ) was born in 1876 in Mahaska County, IA. On March 5, 1898, at the age of 22, she was united in matrimony with 26-year-old Kirkville farmer Henry Siegrist ( ? - ? ), son of Christian and Mary (Youtz or "Young") Siegrist and a native of Tazewell County, IL. The ceremony was performed in Kirkville by Rev. J.C. Caughlin, with James and Etta Roof serving as witnesses.
  • Grandson Edwin "Ed" Belford (1878-1965) was born in about 1878 in Cedar, Iowa. Circa 1899, he and friend Hiram Foglesong spent several months in Colorado. When he was 24 or 25 years of age, on March 4, 1903, he was joined in wedlock with 16-year-old Bessie May Parks (1887- ? ), daughter of Jonathan and Lucy Ann (Sinnif) Parks of Kirkville. The wedding was held in the Parks home, officiated by Rev. D.F. Stiles of the local Methodist Episcopal Church, "in the presence of a large number of friends," reported the Ottumwa Tri-Weekly Courier. Daughter Lorena Belford was born to the couple in Feb. 1904. The marriage appears to have lasted for only a few years, and in August 1907, Bessie sued for divorce on the grounds of desertion and adultery. After the separation, Bessie May took their daughter and went to live with her sister in Dickinson, ND. But the couple eventually reconciled and produced at least two more children, Dean Belford and Helen Belford. Circa 1910-1911, they lived in Kirkville, next door to Edwin's brother Brown Belford, and with Bessie's unmarried sister Grace living under their roof. Later, they made a home in Ottumwa. He died at the age of 88 on or about Nov. 14, 1965, with a brief notice printed in the Des Moines Tribune.


Market Street in Ottumwa, Iowa


  • Grandson Frank Belford (1879- ? ) was born in July 1879 in Iowa. He may have been employed circa 1916 as a fireman with the Rock Island Railroad.
  • Granddaughter Eunice Belford (1884- ? ) was born in about 1884 in Ringold County, IA. On March 8, 1921, in nuptials held in Wapello, IA, the 37-year-old Eunice wedded 43-year-old Oskaloosa businessman John J. Hines ( ? - ? ), son of D.A. and Anna E. (Dickson) Hines of Mahaska County. Rev. A.A. Heath officiated at the nuptials.
  • Granddaughter Louise Belford (1886-1964) was born on Aug. 8, 1886 in Iowa. In 1899, at the age of 13, she wedded Jacob Fleming Roquette (1864-1942), son of Philip and Elizabeth (Mader) Roquette. The couple made a home almost immediately in Dickinson, Stark County, ND although Louise is known to have borne daughter Vera in Kirkville in 1904. Over the years, she bore six children -- Vera Mae Reddeman, Kenneth Frank Roquette, Dallas Lee Roquette, Clifford Pershing Roquette, Donald Jacob Roquette and Shirley Kathleen Ritter. Later, she married a second tie to Herbert Sebastian Marty (June 20, 1887-1976), a native of Stillwater, Washington County, MN. He had been married previously and brought two adult children to the union, Gladys June Geiger and Glenn Warren Henry Marty. Louise died in Alexandria, Douglas County, MN at the age of 77 on April 10, 1964. Burial was in Lakeside Cemetery in Osakis, Todd County, MN. [Find-a-Grave] Herbert outlived his wife and passed on Aug. 14, 1976 in Dickinson. He rests under a standard issue military grave marker in Black Hills National Cemetery in Sturgis, Meade County, SD.
  • Granddaughter Winifred Mae "Winnie" Belford (1889- ? ) was born in about 1889 in Kirkville. When she was 27 years of age, on Oct. 15, 1916, she married her brother-in-law's brother, Otumwa clerk Harry L. Siegrist, son of Christian and Mary (Youtz or "Young") Siegrist and a native of San Jose, IL. The wedding was held in Ottumwa and officiated by Rev. C.A. Field, with Sarah Brooks and Mrs. C.A. Field attending as witnesses. On Aug. 23, 1930, in nuptials held in Oskaloose, she married a second time to 42-year-old Ottumwa boilermaker Jacob Haller Robertson ( ? - ? ). He was a native of Fayette, MO and the son of Thomas and Nancy (Asbury) Robertson. Rev. Marion H. Williams officiated. The couple made a home in Ottumwa.
  • Granddaughter Ollie Belford (1890- ? ) was born in about 1890 in Kirkville.

Daughter Lucinda Belford (1853- ? ) was born in 1853 in or near Oskaloosa, Mahaska County, IA.


~ Daughter Catharine (Sturtz) Horschmann Palmerton~

Catharine Sturtz (1818- ? ) is reputed to have been born on June 30, 1818 in Oldtown, Allegany County, MD.

Research by others states that she was twice married. Her first spouse was (?) Horschmann ( ? - ? ).

In May 1842, she married again to Morgan L. Palmerton (1814- ? ).

Catharine may have passed away in 1890.


~ Daughter Lydia (Sturtz) Knapp ~

Lydia Sturtz (1821- ? ) is reputed to have been born on Feb. 21, 1821 in Oldtown, Allegany County, MD.

She was joined in holy matrimony with Jacob Knapp (1817- ? ).

Lydia is believed to have died in about 1890, but this is not proven.

Nothing more is known.


~ Son Adam Sturtz ~

Adam Sturtz (1823-1894) was born on Feb. 7, 1822 or April 8, 1823 in Adams Township, Muskingum County. He joined the Lutheran Church as a young man.

On Aug. 17, 1843, in Muskingum County, he married Jane Wiggins (Aug. 1822-1900?). A newspaper once said that she "walked by his side amidst the toils and conflicts of life for near fifty years."

Their 10 children were Sarah M. Sturtz, Calvin Sturtz, John Sturtz, Amanda Scott, Martha Isabella Wiggins, Annis Jemima Waters Buckles, Lydia Loy, Decatur Sturtz, Adam Lawson Sturtz and Ida Susan Smith Buckles. 

When the federal census was taken in 1860 and 1870, the family dwelled on a farm in Dresden, Monroe Township, Muskingum County. Adam also was a saw mill operator also known as a "millwright."

Adam's quiet farming years were interrupted by the Civil War. He and his son Calvin both joined the Union Army and were assigned to the 69th Ohio Infantry, Company I. Adam served for three years and seven months prior to his discharge.

In about 1877, the Sturtzes in company with friends from Coshocton County migrated to Kansas and initially settled Rice County. Within a few years they relocated to York, Stafford County, KS as shown on the federal census of 1880. In its April 22, 1880 edition, the Stafford (KS) Alliance Herald reported that "Thos. Deselms, who arrived in this county from Ohio, about the 6th of March last, purchased a claim of Adam Sturtz about five miles southwest of Stafford and has expended fully $1,000 in improvements on the claim. He has just completed a nice frame residence 14x22 with basement, which is one of the nicest in that part of the county. Also a frame bank stable and granary, and is going right ahead with the preparations for fencing ten acres for pasture -- having the wire on the ground, and has considerable breaking done already and will put out some twenty acres of corn, eight acres of cane, six acres of broom corn, five acres of millet, rice corn, melons and all kinds of garden truck."

Adam and Jane joined the Methodist Protestant Church in Stafford. Then, on April 3, 1881, he and 18 other followers joined the United Brethren in Christ Church, "of which he was a faithful and worthy member unto the end of life," said the Stafford County Republican. H.S. Riegel of Stafford once wrote in the local newspaper that "It was the pleasure of the writer of this notice to be intimately acquainted with Father Sturtz for about 14 years, and can truly say he was a man of noble character, full of good cheer, ever hopeful..."

Then in October 1881, at a local exhibition, Adam received the award for the best lot of sweet potatoes and pumpkins. The following February 1882, he was named a director of the United Brethren in Christ of Prairie Chapel in Rose Valley Township, along with R.D. Casselman, John L. and Thomas B. Deselms and Henry C. Guyer. In June 1887, he told a columnist with the Republican that "a little rain would be a great help in plowing corn. The heavy rains had packed the earth and a hard crust had formed on top that needed a little moistening in order to work easy."

Adam made news again in September 1889 when he produced a large crop of corn on his Union Township farm eight miles southwest of Stafford. Reported the Garden City (KS) Daily Herald, he "had in 230 acres of broom corn, and has now about fifty tons ready for shipment. He has a standing offer of $55 per ton on it at any time he desires to call for it. His son-in-law, J. Buckels, sold forty tons to E. Hatch of Union City, Pa., at $60 a ton."

During a visit to their son Adam Lawson Sturtz in May 1890, Adam stopped in to the Turon Headlight newspaper office. A gossip note in the next issue said that he "is an agreeable old gentleman. He made this office a pleasant call." He told a Stafford County Republican columnist in May 189 that he expected to harvest 200 acres of broom corn that year. He was a member of the local chapter of the Grand Army of the Republic.

Later, as his health failed, the Republican said in January 1894 that "Adam Sturtz, one of the sturdy pioneers of Union township, has been quite feeble this fall and winter; unable to be out of the house a good portion of the time. We hope Uncle Adam may soon be restored to health again, able to take his place in the busy bustle of life as is his want." There was to be no recovery. He died on Feb. 18, 1894. Burial was in Prairie Chapel Cemetery in Stafford County. [Find-a-Grave]

Jane lived for another six years as a widow. She learned that she was eligible to receive a pension for her late husband's Civil War service, and she filed the paperwork and began receiving monthly payments. [Widow App. #594.335 - Cert. #414.651] As she aged, she went to dwell in the home of her married daughter, Ida Ruckles, in Hutchinson, Reno County, KS. She is shown there in the federal census of 1900, and is believed to have passed later that year. All of this needs to be confirmed.

Daughter Sarah Margaret Sturtz (1844- ? ) is believed to have been born on Aug. 18, 1844 in Linton, Coshocton County..

Son Calvin R. Sturtz (1846-1933) was born on Jan. 18, 1846 in Linton, Coshocton County. He was a Union Army veteran of the Civil War. During the war, he and his father both served in the 69th Ohio Infantry, Company I. In 1867, Calvin was united in matrimony with He married Mary C. (Nov. 28, 1849-1919). The couple produced one known son, William S. Sturtz. Fifteen years after the war's end, in June 1880, he applied for and was awarded a federal military pension as compensation for injuries or ailments. [Invalid App. #380.510 - Cert. 1.112.162] The Sturtzes dwelled in Cowgill, MO in 1907. Sadly, Mary passed away on Aug. 21, 1919 at the age of 69. Calvin outlived her by 14 years. He died at the age of 87 on Oct. 17, 1933. Interment was in Mount Hope Cemetery in Kansas City, Wyandotte County, KS. His pension claim was awarded to another family member. [C 2.499.334]

  • Grandson William A. Sturtz (1883-1966) was born on Oct. 3, 1883. He married Josephine Marguerite "Polly" Hooker (June 14, 1892-1996), daughter of John M. and Mary M. (Pontius) Hooker. They bore a daughter, Mary Ruth Glagow. William died at the age of 82 on Aug. 20, 1966. He rests in Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens in Oklahoma City. Josephine outlived her spouse by three decades and reached her 100th birthday milestone. She passed into eternity at the age of 104 on Oct. 11, 1996. Their daughter Mary Ruth (1918-1958) wedded Jack Green Glasgow (1918-2000).


Horses, wagons, trolleys and automobiles co-mingle in Arkansas City,
Kansas, where the John Milan Sturtz family resided circa 1900


Son John Milan Sturtz (1848-1927) was born on Feb. 12, 1848 in Ohio. He was a longtime farmer and carpenter. In about 1869, when he would have been 21 years of age, John married 27-year-old Mary Catherine Scott (1842- ? ), who was six years older than her spouse, and the daughter of Jane Scott. They produced these known offspring, Charles S. Sturtz, Wilbur L. Sturtz, Louis Sturtz and Mertie Mierau Wright, plus one who died young. In 1870, John, Mary and newborn son Charles dwelled beside his parents in Dresden, Monroe Township, Coshocton County. In about 1877, the Sturtzes joined his parents and other Coshocton County families in emigrating to Kansas. The 1880 federal census enumeration shows John and Mary and family on a farm in Bolton, Cowley County, KS, with Mary's widowed mother living under their roof. The Sturtzes moved into the town of Arkansas City in Cowley County sometime before 1900. They are shown there in the 1900 census, with John earning a living with his carpentry skills, and seven-year-old orphaned nephew Charles Loy in the household. The couple remained in Arkansas City during the decade between 1900-1910, and by 1910 they were empty-nesters, with John continuing his work as a caprnter at age 62. Sadly, Mary passed away on Jan. 28, 1911 at the age of 68. Burial was in Riverview Cemetery in town. Her grave marker provides a birth year of 1852 which is off by a decade. John died at the age of 79 in Arkansas City on Aug. 31, 1927. Burial was in Riverview Cemetery in town.

  • Grandson Charles Sturtz (1870- ? ) was born in about April 1870 in Coshocton County, OH.
  • Grandson Wilbur L. Sturtz (1873- ? ) was born in Aug. 1873 in Ohio and migrated to Kansas as a young boy. He grew up in Cowley County, KS and is known to have visited with his father's parents in Stafford, KS in January 1888. He was married to ()) Jenkins ( ? - ? ) and had a son, John Sturtz. The family lived in Arkansas City, where he owned a half-share in the Central hardware store. In March 1908, she and their son traveled to Colorado to visit her brother-in-law, Louis Sturtz. The Sturtzes received the shocking news in December 1912 that Wilbur's father-in-law had gone missing while duck hunting in a lake near Bakersfield, CA, and two months later the body was found. They sold the hardware store interest and relocated to Waco, TX circa 1914, so that his wife could improve her health. There, he operated a hardware business. But they returned to Arkansas City in 1915, went back to Waco, and by 1920 returned to Arkansas City with Wilbur representing the Hill Investment Company.
  • Grandson Louis Sturtz (1881- ? ) was born in Oct. 1881 in Kansas. He resided in Arkansas City. When he was 21 years of age, in about 1902, he married 19-year-old Minnie D. (1884- ? ). They produced a daughter, Bettylou Sturtz. At the age of 26, Louis filed a claim for land in Colorado near the town of Holly. They moved to Holly for a period of time. But they returned to Arkansas City by August 1909 and purchased a half interest in the Smith and Bly candy kitchen at 324 South Summit Street. By 1919, he had become deeply interested in politics, and friends pushed him to run for the elected position of finance commissioner. Said the Arkansas City Daily Traveler, "Mr. Sturtz has consented to accept the nomination and will be a candidate at the approaching primary. For years, Mr. Sturtz conducted the Sturtz Candy kitchen on South Summit street, and was very successful. Since selling that business out, he has been engaged in the real estate business with the Copple-Holt-Sturtz firm." He does not appear to have won that contest, but by 1921 seems to have held the position of Cowley County Commissioner. One of the key issues he faced, in collaboration with Mayor C.N. Hunt, City Attorney Kirke Dale and Chamber of Commerce President (and brother-in-law) Edward Mierau was whether to pave with concrete a mile of highway known as "Cemetery Road."
  • Granddaughter Mertie Sturtz (1887- ? ) was born on Aug. 24, 1887 in Cowley County. When she was age 20, on Oct. 16, 1907, she was united in matrimony with Edward C. Mierau ( ? - ? ) at the home of her parents in Arkansas City, KS. Rev. Riley, of the First Methodist Church, presided at the ceremony. Among her relatives traveling to attend were her uncle and aunt, Calvin and Mary Sturtz; her uncle and aunt Adam Lawson and Mary Sturtz from Kansas City, uncle Decatur C. Sturtz from Kansas City, and aunt Ida Buckles from Anthony, KS. The Arkansas City Daily Traveler reported on the wedding, saying that Mertie "is an accomplished young lady and has resided in this city for a number of years. She has attended school here and at Southwest Kansas College in Winfield. In each town she has made a host of friends, who admire her for her sterling qualities. Mr. Mireau has for several years been employed by the Santa Fe in this city, and on account of his ability and conscientious work, he has attained the position of private secretary to Superintendent Tice." The couple made their first home in Arkansas City, and Edward soon received a promotion with his own desk in the company's general offices. They were the parents of Mary Ruth Mireau. In 1947, she married her second husband, widower Wood Thomas Wright (Jan. 2, 1880-1960), a native of Clinton County, MO. They made a home in Wichita, Sedgwick County, KS. He passed away first, on July 30, 1960 at age 90. She lived for another 11 years and died at the age of 83 on July 29, 1971. They rest for eternity in the Old Mission Mausoleum in Wichita.

Daughter Amanda J. Sturtz (1849-1889) was born in about 1849 in Ohio. She was united in marriage with Ohioan Thomas Scott (Sept. 1847- ? ). Their known offspring were Mary B. Scott, Lydia J. Scott, John M. Scott and Ida M. Scott. When the federal census enumeration was made in 1880, the Scotts lived next door to Amanda's married brother John in Bolton, Cowley County, KS, and Amanda's bruther Decatur dwelled in the Scott household. They are believed to have made a home in Arkansas City, Cowley County. Sadly, Amanda died on June 22, 1889 at the age of 39. Burial was in the Geuda Springs Cemetery. [Find-a-Grave] Inscribed at the base of her upright grave marker shaft is this epitaph:

A precious one from us has gone,
A voice we loved is stilled.
A place is vacant in our hearts
    which never can be filled.

As a widower, Thomas moved to a farm in Walton, Sumner County, KS. He and youngest daughter, 20-year-old Ida, lived there in 1900 when the U.S. Census was taken.

  • Granddaughter Mary B. Scott (1868- ? ) was born in about 1868 in Ohio.
  • Granddaughter Lydia J. Scott (1872- ? ) was born in about 1872 in Ohio.
  • Grandson John M. Scott (1878- ? ) was born in about 1878 in Bolton, Cowley County, KS.
  • Granddaughter Ida M. Scott (1879- ? ) was born in Oct. 1879 in Bolton, Cowley County, KS.

Daughter Martha Isabella Sturtz (1852-1884) was born on April 6, 1852 in Muskingum County, OH. At the age of 20, on May 4, 1872, she was joined in wedlock with Harvey C. Wiggins (1849-1936). The ceremony was held in Coshocton County, OH. Within a few years, they relocated with her parents and other Coshocton County families of Kansas. The couple made a home in or around Lyons, Rice County, KS. Their children were Ada Jemima Foreman, Mary Ella Brubaker, Jesse Edward Wiggins and James N. Wiggins. Their youngest, James, died as an infant in 1879. Sadly, at the age of 32, Martha died on Sept. 21, 1884. She rests in Lyons Municipal Cemetery. [Find-a-Grave] Harvey may have returned to Ohio after the death of his wife, as the Aug. 15, 1889 edition of the Stafford County Rustler in St. John, KS reported that "Mr. Wiggins, of Ohio, is visiting his brother-in-law, Mr. Adam Sturtz."

  • Granddaughter Ada Jemima Wiggins (1872-1927) married David Joseph Foreman.
  • Granddaughter Mary Ella Wiggins ( ? - ? ) wedded Daniel L. Brubaker.
  • Grandson Jesse Edward Wiggins (1878-1949)

Daughter Annis Jemima Sturtz (1857-1909) was born on May 23, 1857 in Coshocton County, OH. She was twice married. Her first wedding was held in 1870, and she married Robert Marshall Waters ( ? -1887). Their children were Jesse E. Waters and Lula Jane Finter. Sadly, after 17 years of marriage, he died in 1887. That same year, she was united in matrimony with her second spouse, James Ealem Buckles (1863-1940). She was six years older than her husband. The couple produced broom corn on their farm, and in September 1889, said the Garden City (KS) Daily Herald, James sold 40 tons of the harvest to E. Hatch of Union, PA for the price of $60 per ton. The following month, he made a profit of $1,000 on broom corn raised on his father-in-law's farm in Union Township. Later, they relocated to Aline, Alfalfa County, OK. Sadly, Anis died there at the age of 52 on Aug. 20, 1909. Interment was in Eagle Chief Cemetery in Aline. [Find-a-Grave]

  • Grandson Jesse E. Waters (1871-1955)
  • Granddaughter Lula Jane Waters (1880-1975) married (?) Finter.

Daughter Lydia Sturtz (1858-1895) was born in about 1858 in Muskingum County, OH. On June 7, 1874, in nuptials held in Muskingum County, she was joined in wedlock with Julius J. Loy (1848-1895), a native of Loudoun County, VA and the son of John and Catherine Loy. They were the parents of Ernest Loy, John Loy, Ervin Clayton Loy and Charles Loy. The Loys lived in Major County, OK. Tragically, husband, wife and sons Ernest and John are believed to have died in the year 1895 -- son Ernest on July 28 -- Julius on Aug. 3 -- Lydia on Aug. 7 -- son John on Aug. 9. They rest in Square Cedar Cemetery in Cleo Springs, Major County. Now rendered orphans, the two surviving sons were sent into others' homes to be raised, including Charles in the household of his uncle and aunt, John and Mary C. (Scott) Sturtz in Arkansas City, Cowley County, KS.

  • Grandson Ervin Clayton Loy (1880-1969)
  • Grandson Charles Loy (1893- ? ) was born in May 1893. Tragically, he lost his parents and two elder brothers to an epidemic of death when he was only 27 months old. He was taken into the home of an uncle and aunt, John and Mary C. (Scott) Sturtz in Arkansas City, Cowley County, KS, where he lived at age seven in 1900.

Son Decatur C. Sturtz (1857- ? ) was born in Nov. 1857 in Ohio. He was a farmer and carpenter, in the years prior to marriage, boarded in the home of his married sister Amanda Scott in Bolton, Cowley County, KS. In October 1884, when he was 27 years of age, Decatur was mentioned in a story in the Leesburg section of the Stafford (KS) Alliance Herald, which said he had "built a good frame house on the Myers place, which he bought last spring, and is living in the same; one mile south of town." Then in June 1887, the Stafford County Republican reported that he was "building a house in the southwestern part of the city." Decatur and friend H.C. Guyer were named in a September 1889 edition of the Stafford County Rustler in St. John, KS, saying they were "busily engaged in seeding broom corn." The Lyons (KS) Republican reported in November 1890 that he "spent several days in this vicinity recently, visitig old Ohio friends. He was a member of the 'Coshocton Colony' which settled in Rice county in the early seventies." When he was age 31, in about 1888, he married Iola (1857- ? ). They lived in 1907-1910 in Kansas City, Wyandotte County, KS and bore three daughters, Mrs. L.E. Goodrich, Dana H. Sturtz and Hazel A. Sturtz. The Sturtzes relocated to Nebraska during the 1910s and established a home in Omaha, Douglas County, where Decatur worked as a carpenter in 1920. The census of 1920 shows that living under their roof was their daughter Helen, her husband Walter Reinshaw and son Walter Reinshaw Jr.

  • Granddaughter (?) Sturtz ( ? - ? ) wedded L.E. Goodrich. They may have lived in Atlantic City, NJ and bore a daughter, Alberta Goodrich.
  • Granddaughter Dana Helen Sturtz (1891- ? ) was born in about 1891 in Kansas. At the age of 19, in 1910, she lived with her parents in Kansas City, KS and was employed as a stenographer in a local drug store. Dana is known to have spent the summer of 1911 in Atlantic City, NJ with her married sister, Mrs. L.E. Goodrich. On Nov. 20, 1912, she was united in wedlock with Walter Reifchach Sr. of Kansas City. Her uncle John Sturtz traveled from his home in Arkansas City, KS to attend the wedding. They produced a son, Walter Reinshaw Jr. The family, spelling the name "Reinshaw," lived with Dana's parents in Omaha in 1920, with Walter Sr. working as a tire maker.
  • Granddaughter Hazel A. Sturtz (1897- ? ) was born in about 1897 in Iowa. She grew up in Kansas City, KS.

Son Adam Lawson "A.L." Sturtz (1862-1946) was born on Jan. 19, 1862 in Ohio. He married Mary Theodosia Crecraft (1862-1941). Circa 1889, their home was in St. John, KS, and their brother in law Harvey Wiggins traveled from Ohio for a visit. They resided in Turon, KS in 1890, where he worked as a station agent for the Missouri Pacific Lines Railroad. In 1907, they dwelled in Kansas City, MO. Their three children were Ferne Edna Brown, Ophia A. Harrell and Indiana C. White. Mary succumbed in 1941. Adam outlived her by five years. He joined her in death at the age of 84 on Sept. 30, 1946. Their final resting place is in Mount Hope Cemetery in Kansas City, Wyandotte County, KS. [Find-a-Grave]

  • Granddaughter Ferne Edna Sturtz (1884-1959) married (?) Brown.
  • Granddaughter Ophia A. Sturtz (1886-1955) wedded (?) Harrell.
  • Granddaughter Indiana C. Sturtz (1887-1976) was joined in marriage with (?) White.

Daughter Ida Susan Sturtz (1866-1937) was born on April 1, 1866 in Ohio. Evidence suggests that she may have been married twice. Circa 1882, when she was just 16, she was wedded to William Seaborn Smith (Dec. 17, 1864-1948). They produced two known children, Jesse Edward Smith and Elva Smith. The marriage appears to have ended in divorce. Then on Sept. 22, 1890, at the age of 24, Ida married 25-year-old John H. Buckles (Dec. 1866- ? ) of Stafford County, with Rev. John S. Glendennig officiating. John was a native of Kentucky. Their children were Pearl Ruckles and Emmitt Buckles. In 1900, U.S. Census records show the couple living on Sherman Street West in Hutchinson, Reno County, KS, with Ida's aged, widowed mother under their roof. Ida was named in an Arkansas City (KS) Daily News story in October 1907 when she traveled from her home in Anthony, KS to attend the wedding of her relative Mertie Sturtz. At the age of 70, Ida died in Hutchinson on March 27, 1937. She rests for eternity in Hutchinson's Memorial Park Cemetery. [Find-a-Grave] Former husband William Smith went on to serve in the Spanish American War as a member of the 21st Kansas Infantry. He died on Aug. 29, 1948. He rests in Stafford Cemetery in Stafford County, KS.

  • Grandson Jesse Edward Smith (1885-1940) was born in 1885.
  • Granddaughter Elva Smith (1887- ? ) was born in Nov. 1887 in Kansas.
  • Granddaughter Pearl Eva Buckles (189s-1980) was born in Dec. 1893 in Kansas.
  • Grandson Emmitt Buckles (1897- ? ) was born in Oct. 1897 in Kansas.


~ Son Andrew Jacob Sturtz ~

Son Andrew Jacob Sturtz (1825-1909) was born on July 3, 1825 in Adamsville, Muskingum County. As a child, he suffered from an infection to the cartilage of his legs called "white swelling" which caused permanent injury to his right foot. As an adult, he stood 5 feet, 8½inches tall, with a fair complexion, blue eyes and brown hair.

In about 1845, when he was age 20, he married 19-year-old Mary McClure Reeser (Aug. 1826-1904), a native of Williamsport, Lycoming County, PA. A justice of the peace officiated.

The couple went on to produce seven known children -- Alice Sturts, Marshall Sturts, Emma Sturts, Charles Sturts, Andrew M. Sturts and one unknown. They also may have adopted a daughter, Olive Mansfield, born in 1866. Two of the children were deceased by 1900.

For about eight or 10 years, they lived in or near Cortland, Jackson County, Indiana, where Andrew worked as a carpenter and operated a shingle machine. He built a house for the mother of S.J. Bottorff and also several local school houses. At some time before the Civil War broke out, Andrew hurt his leg while handling a heavy bale of shingles. The leg was not broken, but his sister in law Henrietta Tucker noticed that the skin had been torn away.

In 1848, he became acquainted with GeorgeW. Kelly, and became better friends in 1855

In the fall of 1863, they pushed further west to Hazel Dell, Cumberland County, IL, moving into the home of friend Kelly. Brother in law George W. Tucker called him a "stout rugged man." The couple remained there until the following January 1864 when he fixed his own dwelling and moved in.

Andrew served in the Union Army during the Civil War under the name "Andrew Sturts." Enlisting in Springfield, IL on March 28, 1865, he was a member of the 6th U.S. Veteran Volunteer Infantry, Company A. Capt. E.R. Blakeslee was his commanding officer. While on duty at Camp Stoneman, MD on or about May 15, 1865, he was on the sick list but was ordered out to gather wood for a cooking fire. He was pulling a sapling out of the ground when he slipped and may have fallen. Apparently the same day, while driving a mule-drawn wagon, the team bolted and ran away, upsetting the wagon and throwing Andrew underneath, catching his leg in the hub and fracturing his leg from the knee to the foot. He was sent to a hospital, but when seeing other patients there suffering from smallpox, he panicked and crawled out. Somehow he found a crutch and "hobbled back to his company," he said. He was treated by a Quaker physician and took on light duty as company cook.


The 1865 hanging of Lincoln assassination conspirators at which Andrew was on duty and fainted in the sun. Courtesy Library of Congress.


After the assassination of President Lincoln, the co-conspirators were captured, tried and found guilty, and sentenced to be executed -- Mary Surratt, George Atzerodt, David Herold and Lewis Powell. At the hanging, in the courtyard of the Washington Arsenal, on July 7, 1865, Andrew and his regiment were on duty, standing attention in the excessive summer heat of the District of Columbia. Andrew fainted from the heat, which some called a sunstroke. He "fell near me," wrote R.E. Holloway. "I thought he was dead but found upon opening his collar that he was still alive." He was carried into a tent or shack to recover and then was treated at a camp hospital. Wrote William Ross: "I was standing near and helped to carry him into his tent and helped to take care of him afterward and after that his eye sight failed him so that he could not see to wright his Letters or Read and still continues so."

He received an honorable discharge at Alexandria, VA on March 27, 1866, having served a year, and then returned home to Hazel Dell, Cumberland County. For the rest of his life, he claimed that he endured ankle joint pain, ulcers of the shinbone and running sores along the leg.

Andrew devoted his life to farming. In 1869 or 1870 he harvested crops for the father of Davis L. Kelly and operated a grain cradle. He also harvested with Allen Pane and J.W. Travis and thrashed with John Black. While swimming with friends in the local river, they noticed the reddish burn color on his leg. Occasionally, shards of bone would work their way through the skin.

Suffering from wartime ailments, Andrew in January 1871 was awarded a military pension. [Invalid App. #162.072 - Cert. #551.783] Yet when under investigation for the claim, government officials spoke with his neighbors and friends and determined that he did not enjoy a good reputation and in fact was considered a "fraud." Among those who provided testimony were George W. Kelly, Davis L. Kelly, John B. Kelly, Gabriel Hagey, George W. Tucker, Ephraim Neal, Gershon Monahan, Samuel C. Patrick, William Wylde, David B. Green, William H. Ross, S.J. Bottorff, Charles Bevins, Joseph Isaacs, Jacob Brown, David D. Brown and Benjamin Little. In his report, Jeremiah Pittman stated that "It's my firm conviction his whole story of the injury is the flimsiest kind of fabrication."

Andrew and Mary celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in 1895. Federal census records for 1900 show them residing in Crooked Creek, Cumberland County, with all of their offspring having moved out.

Mary passed away on July 15, 1904 in Hazel Dell.

Andrew outlived his wife by five years and died on Aug. 24, 1909, also in Hazel Dell. They rest together in Hazel Dell Cemetery (South) [Find-a-Grave].

Daughter Alice Virginia Sturtz (1846-1935) was born in 1846 in Ohio. She married Daniel Freeman (1843-1926), an immigrant from Ballymoney, Ireland and the son of John and Rachel (Lafferty) Freeman. Their two known daughters were Edith Nellie Eyestone and Alice Gertrude Meeker. The family dwelled in or near Greenup, Cumberland County, IL. Daniel passed into eternity in Greenup on Nov. 8, 1926. At the age of 89, Alice died on Nov. 25, 1935 in Greenup. Burial was in Greenup Cemetery.

  • Granddaughter Edith N. Freeman (1878-1952) was born on April 6, 1878 in Greenup. She was united in wedlock with Theodore McPherson Eyestone (1874-1958), son of Alfred Columbus and Angeline (Ralston) Eyestone. Their three children were Milton Eyestone, Harold McKinley Eyestone and Marshal R. Eyestone. The family relocated to Oregon, making their home in Gresham, near Portland, Multnomah County. There, Edith died on Oct. 13, 1952. Theodore joined her in death six years later on May 23, 1958. [Find-a-Grave]
  • Granddaughter Alice Gertrude Freeman (1883-1936) was born on May 3, 1883 at Crooked Creek. She was joined in matrimony with Bruce Meeker ( ? - ? ). Alice died on Feb. 19, 1936 in Crooked Creek. Burial was in Hazel Dell Cemetery.

Son Marshall Sturts (1852 - ? ) was born in about 1852 in Indiana. At the age of 26, unmarried in 1880, he lived at home with his parents and assisted with farm work.

Daughter Emma Sturts (1855- ? ) was born in about 1855 in Indiana. She was unmarried at age 24 and resided under her parents' roof in Crooked Creek, Cumberland County, IL.

Son Charles Sturts (1858- ? ) was born in about 1858.

Son Andrew M. Sturts (1864- ? ) was born in 1864.

Adopted daughter Olive Mansfield (1866- ? ) was born in about 1855 in Ohio. She was brought into the Sturtz family and in 1880 lived with them in Crooked Creek, Cumberland County, IL.


~ Daughter Margaret (Sturtz) Mowery ~

Margaret Sturtz (1830- ? ) is reputed to have been born on Jan. 25, 1830 in Oldtown, Allegany County, MD.

The paper trail hints that she married (?) Mowery ( ? - ? ). This all needs to be verified.


~ Son Solomon Sturtz ~

Solomon Sturtz (1833- ? ) is reputed to have been born on April 16, 1833 in Oldtown, Allegany County, MD. His last name also has been misspelled as "Stotts" over the years. 

Circa 1850, at the age of 17, he lived with his mother and stepfather on a farm in Union Township, Knox County, OH.

Sources suggest that his wife was Margaret Mowry ( ? - ? ). More will be added here when learned.

He is not to be confused with "Solomon D. Sturtz" (March 30, 1833-April 10, 1917) -- son of Peter and Margaret (Hutzell) Sturtz -- who served in the Union Army during the Civil War as a member of the 160th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company E. He enlisted on May 2, 1864 and was mustered out four months later on Sept. 7, 1864. On July 23, 1890, he was awarded a military pension [Invalid App. #824.605 - Cert. #601.348].


Copyright © 2000, 2011, 2013, 2015-2018 Mark A. Miner
Minerd.com extends its thanks to Find-a-Grave volunteer Jeannie Beghart LaCues for her assistance.