Syvilla (Younkin) Rush, also known as "Civilla," "Savilla" and "Sevilla," was born in 1821 near Kingwood, Turkeyfoot Township, Somerset County, PA, the daughter of "Yankee John" and Nancy (Hartzell) Younkin. Her husband, brother, brother-in-law, son and son-in-law all served in the Civil War. Her husband's Civil War grave marker is seen here.
Syvilla was the second wife of John K. Rush (1810-1889), son of William and Sarah (Kilpatrick) Rush. The Rushes were considered pioneer settlers of Somerset County, having migrated from New Jersey. John's uncle Jacob Rush Sr. is said to been a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and John's father settled in Turkeyfoot Township circa 1770 and helped to found the Jersey Baptist Church in about 1775. Their marriage was one of many between the Younkins and Rushes of southwestern Pennsylvania.
The couple was wed in about 1840, with an age difference of 11 years between bride and groom. They had these 11 known children -- Candace "Candy" Minerd, Alexander Rush, James "Austin" Rush, Patrick Rush, Sarah J. Rush, Mary Frances Brougher, Margery Victoria Williams, Alice Matlick, Sarah "Cecilia" Haines, Lavina Richey and Martha Rush.
When the federal census enumeration was made in 1850, the Rushes and their five children resided in Wharton Township, Fayette County. John's occupation was listed as "farmer." Among their neighbors were Daniel and Catharine Thomas, and Alexander and Mary Stewart.
By 1860, still in Wharton Township, John's estate was growing in value, and six more children had been added to the household. Living nearby were the families of William and Sarah Van Sickles, and John and Ellen Castille.
After the Civil War broke out, and the Union Army suffered casualties far greater than could have been anticipated, President Lincoln issued several calls for volunteer enlistments. When even more soldiers were needed as the war dragged on, a military draft was formed, and John was drafted into military service. He was assigned to the 168th Pennsylvania Infantry, and was placed in Company E. He retained the rank of private throughout the term of his service.
Little is known about John's specific activity during the war. His regiment, the 168th Pennsylvania, was formed in late 1862 for a term of nine months. In his book History of Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-5, Volume 4, Samuel P. Bates wrote this summary:
It left Pittsburg for Washington on Dec. 2 ; was ordered to Suffolk, where it became a part of Spinola's (Keystone) brigade and moved to New Berne, N. C., where it arrived on Jan. 1, 1863. From New Berne several expeditions were made, none of which resulted in battle, and at the end of the siege of Little Washington, the regiment was stationed there until June 28. Proceeding to Fortress Monroe, it joined at White House in the movement toward Richmond and in response to the desire of the troops to cooperate in the defense of their native state was ordered to Harper's Ferry. However, the 168th was not destined to share in the bloody battle at Gettysburg and joined the army at Boonesboro. After a short period at Middleton, Md., the command was mustered out at Harrisburg, July 25, 1863.
The 1870 census shows that William Wored, a six-year-old boy, lived in their home that year, and may have been a grandson. Syvilla's sister and brother in law, Nancy and Alexander Sanner, lived less than a mile away along what today is Wharton Furnace Road. When the Fayette County Atlas was produced in 1872, their farms were shown on the hand-colored map of Wharton Township, shown here.
Tragically, Syvilla died on or about May 23, 1875, at the age of 54. Family friends Simon P. and Huldah A. Hager later noted that they witnessed her funeral and "saw her dead body." The only known records of her passing are affidavits given by her son Alexander many years later, in May 1901, and by the Hagers, kept by the National Archives within John's Civil War records.
After less than two years as a widower, on March 6, 1877, John remarried to Mary M. Statler Dull (1856-1884). She was a native of Virginia who was more than a half-century younger. They were wed by justice of the peace Alexander Sanner at Harnedsville, Somerset County. Among the witnesses were Harriet J. Colborn and Rachel Hanna.
Born under the name Statler, Mary was raised by a grandfather named Dull and took the surname as her own before her marriage. Among her acquaintances, who later testified on behalf of her orphaned children, were David J. Seese and William Harader.
They had three known sons of their own, John K. Rush Jr., born in 1879, Walter David Rush (1884) and William Rush (1884). Of the boys' existence, the government observer once wrote that:
...the matter of the births of these children was not considered of any particular importance, no one now living having any recollection tending to show the exact dates and there is no record whatever; These people lived in the Mountains where the importance of baptism was not appreciated, they were ignorant persons and very very poor, the older members of the family opposed the last marriage and took no interest in the family born of that union. The Mother of these children was reared by her Grandparents and has no brothers or sisters about the section where she lived, her nearest relatives in that section lived some ten or fifteen miles away and I found that such persons were her Aunts and are dead as also her Grand parents.
The census of 1880 shows 70-year-old John, 24-year-old wife Mary and one-year old son John living under one roof in Farmington. That year, John made his living as a stone mason. Mary was a seamstress and made baby clothes for her friends, including one dress for her neighbor Margaret M. Inks. Neighbors of the young family included the households of Samuel Hager and Andrew J. Tissue.
In July 1881, his unmarried daughter Alice was pregnant, and came to his home to prepare for the birth. She remained there for several months and delivered a baby boy. To pass the time, she took care of her younger half-brothers and read the newspaper every day, and was taken with the ongoing story of the assassination of President Garfield, including his lingering for several months until his death.
To celebrate the New Year's holiday in 1884, John spent the day at the home of his married son Alexander Rush and his wife Mary. Upon returning home, he found his pregnant wife sick, and she delivered their son Walter the next day. But tragedy struck about six weeks to two months later, on or about March 1, 1884, when Mary died, at age 28, apparently not having recovered from childbirth. The Rushes' longtime friends Simon P. and Huldah A. Hager viewed Mary's body and were present at the funeral.
The baby's older half-brother Alexander took in the child and raised him to adulthood.
John survived his third wife by five years. He suffered a stroke of paralysis and died at the age of 79 on Dec. 16, 1889, at the home of his son Alexander near Farmington. Undertaker Samuel R. Kemp prepared the coffin and attended the funeral. He was laid to rest in a remote corner of the Van Sickle Cemetery south of Farmington. His daughter in law Amanda Rush, and his wife's sister and her husband, Nancy and Alexander Sanner, also a Civil War veteran, also are interred in the small graveyard.
No public or church records were made of John's death, nor the deaths of his three wives. Other than the inscription on his standard issue U.S. military marker, perhaps the only documentation is in John's Civil War pension folder on file today at the National Archives in Washington, DC.
After his death, relatives pushed for the younger children to receive a Civil War pension. Among those providing affidavits were John's sister Margaret Maust of Elliottsville, Fayette County and John Wirsing of Fayette County. Assisting in the process was John's daughter Alice Matlick, who accompanied government investigator Theodore Tallmadge "in a drive in the section where [son] William was born to get some additional information...." Friends Jacob C. Griffith and J.T. Groover also attested to their knowledge of John's marriage to Mary Statler, while Simon P. Hager of Farmington and David Seese of Uniontown claimed to have known John before the war.
Many years later, in November 1975, the names of Syvilla, John and Sarah Pinkerton were published in an article, headlined "The Family of Jacob Rush," in the Laurel Messenger newsletter of the Historical and Genealogical Society of Somerset County. In 2013, this webpage was created, and the following Memorial Day, John's grave was photographed by the founder of this website.
~ Son Alexander Rush ~
Son Alexander "Alex" Rush (1844-1917) was born on March 2 (or 3), 1844 in Somerset County, PA.
Alexander stood five feet, seven inches tall, and as an adult weighed 162 pounds. He had a light complexion, dark hair and grey eyes. A federal government official once wrote that he "is an honorable man and stands high in the community where he resides and has resided all his life..."
He married neighbor Mary Martha Workman (1842-1924) on July 14 (or Aug. 14), 1860, when he was age 18 and she 17. Father Quinn performed the nuptials near Farmington. Mary later recalled that "there was no one at my wedding that I know of and there was no church or Public Record kept at that time of marriages."
They had four known sons -- Jacob Ignatius Rush, John K. Rush II, Charles F. Rush and Simeon A. Rush -- and are thought to have raised much younger orphaned half-brothers, William Rush and Walter David Rush.
Sadly, son Jacob, who was born on May 10, 1861, did not survive childhood. As he neared his fourth birthday, the boy died on April 11, 1865. His passing was noted in the Uniontown Genius of Liberty, with this poem, adapted from an Irish melody originally penned by Thomas Moore:
He served in the Civil War as a member of the 14th Pennsylvania Cavalry, Company E, traveling to Pittsburgh to enlisting on June 12, 1864. While stationed at Winchester, VA in the winter of 1864, he claimed to have contracted hemorrhoids and rheumatism. He was discharged May 30, 1865 at Alexandria, VA.
Alexander jointly owned land with brother in law James Minerd Jr. near Farmington circa 1868. He purchased the farm outright in 1872, following the death of his sister Candace (Minerdís wife). Neighbors Simon P. Hager and Ezra Thomas, who resided a half mile from Alexander's farm, often worked with him on their respective farms.
Circa 1880, when the census was taken, they lived on a farm in Wharton Township, Fayette County. When Alexander's step-mother Mary Rush died in 1884, he and his wife Mary took in his two much-younger half brothers to raise. When the young brothers were brought into their home, their names and birth dates were hand-written in the family Bible (printed by the Historical Publishing Company, 1884).
In December 1889, Alexander's elderly father resided in their home and died while there.
The 1890 special census of Civil War veterans shows him in Farmington and that he suffered from "piles" (hemorrhoids). He often complained to his friends of "rheumatism" and that he could not raise his arm above his head. He also groused about heart problems and shortness of breath. In about 1890, as a war veteran, he was granted a federal pension of $8 per month as compensation for his ailments. An examining physician noted that at age 62, Alexander "could not raise his arms above head or life anything above belt line; that at times he has no power in hands to hold a fork or anything; that the hand muscles give out completely; that the muscles of the back and legs are similarly affected."
In July 1895, Alexander's barn, partially filled with grain, was "blown down" when "a destructive wind and rain storm visited the southern end of the county... carrying destruction to crops and buildings," reported the Connellsville Courier. "It was most severe at Farmington, where a regular hurricane prevailed for over and hour." He dislocated his shoulder in December 1902, adding to his physical disabilities.
The 1910 federal census shows Alexander and Mary living next door to their married son Walter in Wharton Township.
Alexander died at the age of 72, at home near Farmington, on Sept. 25, 1917. The cause was heart valve disease in addition to hardening of the arteries. The Connellsville Weekly Courier noted that he "was born and reared on the farm where he died" and that he "was a veteran of the Civil War." His remains were placed at rest in the Smithenberger ("Smithburger") Cemetery, believed to be today's Good Hope Lutheran Cemetery.
As a widow, Mary began to receive her late husband's pension payments. Lifelong friends Cecilia Smithberger and Elizabeth Workman provided support by signing an affidavit attesting to her knowledge that Mary had been lawfully married to the soldier.
But as her mental capabilities began to decline, she was unable to endorse the checks. At the time, noted her lawyer J.G. Carroll, "She lives in the country about 15 miles from Uniontown, has no safe or even trunk in which to keep papers, and all drawers, books, etc., have been searched. There has been no fire in the home." Her attorney made two trips to her home in a fruitless effort to find her pension certificate which otherwise would have eased the paperwork burden in dealing with the bureaucracy of the U.S. Bureau of Pensions.
Her children were in disagreement over how her affairs were to be handled. Some wanted a guardian appointed for her, while others did not. By 1924, the National Bank of Fayette County in Uniontown was named as her official guardian to manage her finances.
She died on Easter morning, April 20, 1924, at the age of 82. After her death, her attorney continued to correspond with the pension commissioner, demanding back pay to cover costs of her funeral and burial, since her checks had still not been cashed. "What right do you have to take advantage of your own delay to avoid payment of this just claim?", he wrote.
Son John K. Rush II (1863-1905) was born on Aug. 12, 1863. He pursued higher education and "graduated from the State Normal school at Indiana, Pa., also of Poughkeepsie Business College, N.Y., and was engaged in teaching for several years in Wharton township," said the Uniontown Daily News Standard. He later "was employed as a writer for the Gresham Publishing company for about 12 years, working for it in Fayette county and later in New York and Ohio. He went to East Liverpool eight years ago and became secretary of the Globe Pottery company." On Nov. 21, 1895, at the age of 32, John married Sarah Katherine Lawrence of Salem, OH. The nuptials were held in Columbiana County, OH, officiated by Rev. B.F. Boyle. The Rushes had three sons -- Lawrence A. Rush, George B. Rush and Robert B. Rush. They were members of the Presbyterian Church in East Liverpool, and circa 1903 John was elected secretary of the East End China Company, later known as the Trenle China Co. The company, with three kilns, was incorporated with $50,000 in capital stock, and other officers included F.B. Lawrence, president G.A. and Edna Trenle and H.E. Murphy In May 1905, an article in the trade magazine Glass and Pottery World noted that "Mr. J.K. Rush, of the East End Pottery, who has been ill since January 1st, is not yet able to visit his plant." Sadly, he died at age 42 in East Liverpool. The funeral is believed to have been held there, officiated by Rev. E.M. McMinn, with pallbearers including R.T. Hall, Gus Treale, Harry Murphy, Harry Horwell, Thomas Milligan and George West. A lengthy obituary was published in the Daily News Standard. Now widowed with three sons under the age of nine, Sarah obtained employment as U.S. postmistress at Newell, Hancock County, WV, with her niece Mary assisting in the work. When the federal census was taken in 1910, she headed a household which included her three sons as well as sister Stella Lawrence (age 35) and niece Mary Lawrence (20). By 1930, Sarah had moved into the private sector and worked as an insurance agent in Newell. John was mentioned in the 1913 periodical, The Pottery & Glass Salesman, produced by the O'Gorman Publishing Company.
Son Charles Franklin Rush (1866-1935) was born on Feb. 24, 1866 in Farmington. In 1889, at the age of 23, he attended the funeral of his grandfather John K. Rush. He was a farmer as a young man, and married Odessa Milbert Hager (1871-1940), daughter of Samuel and Nancy M. (Carroll) Hager, all of Farmington. The marriage took place on Oct. 5, 1893, at 77 Mt. Vernon Avenue in Uniontown, when Charles was age 27 and Odessa 22. They had five children -- Edith Rishel, Margaret Spaw, Harold Rush, Samuel Rush and Charles Rush. Circa 1905, when named in the obituary of his brother John, Charles and family made their residence in Gibbon Glade. The family later resided at 90 Walnut Street in Uniontown. Charles was employed for many years as a caretaker at the White Swan Hotel, a prominent local landmark. Odessa "was a devout member of the Church of the Brethren and highly esteemed by a wide circle of friends and acquaintances," said a newspaper. Charles died "of a complication of diseases" at home at the age of 65 on June 4, 1931, reported the Uniontown Morning Herald. A short funeral service, led by Rev. C.C. Sollenberger, was held in the Rush home, followed by a longer one at the Bethel Church in Wharton Township. He was interred in the church cemetery. Odessa outlived Charles by nine years. She went to live with her married daughter, Edith Rishel, on East National Pike (U.S. Route 40, the National Turnpike). An obituary in the Morning Herald said she was a "member of a prominent Fayette county family...." At the time of her passing, son Harold lived in Tucson, AZ; Harold in Uniontown; Charles in Detroit; and daughters Edith and Margaret in Uniontown.
Son Simeon A. Rush (1868- ? ) was born on March 28, 1868 near Farmington, Fayette County. By 1905, he had migrated to New York. At some point he moved to Brooklyn, Kings County, NY, where he worked in publishing with the American Historical Society. Circa 1918, he made his residence at 45 Jefferson Avenue in Brooklyn, and in 1920, he boarded in the home of Grace Newell on Lefferts Place. He was alive in 1931 and that year was named in his brother Walter's Uniontown Morning Herald obituary. As he monitored his mother's mental decline in about 1917-1918, and her inability endorse checks, he wrote an angry letter on American Historical Society stationery to the U.S. Bureau of Pensions in Washington, DC:
As no payment on this pension has been made since August, 1917, I beg to be advised the cause of such delay. If due to the rebel administration we now have in Washington, or the strongly Germanized personell of the pension department as I have been informed, if for either or for other reasons I want to know why this damnable delay. Has the pension department become poisoned by the same damnable demoralization of inefficiency that seems to characterize every other branch of the Government service. As there can be absolutely no excuse for such delay I would like to know what sort of an explanation you can make. Such negligence in a department is contemptible to say the least. Unless I get the attention of the department on this claim without delay, I propose to find out where the trouble lies.
In a sharp rebuke -- as the nation plunged into World War I -- the pension commissioner wrote back to Simeon, enclosing "a report which may give you some idea of the magnitude of the work of this bureau. It is submitted that if you take the pains to acquaint yourself with the facts you must admit that your execration of the public service in this hour of stress is both wanton and unpatriotic." His whereabouts after 1931 are unknown.
~Son James "Austin" Rush ~
Son James "Austin" Rush (1845-1926) was born on June 15, 1845 or 1848.
He wed Lucinda (1854- ? ), a native of West Virginia whose parents were immigrants from Germany. Their nuptials took place in about 1873, when he was age 28 and she 19.
They had seven known children -- William Rush, Alexander Rush, Chauncey Rush, Ira Rush, Franklin Rush, Benjamin H. Rush and Edward J. Rush.
Circa 1880, when the federal census count was made, the Rushes made their home in Farmington, with Austin employed as a laborer. Their residence was a few miles away from the home of Austin's father. They kept a family Bible in which they wrote the names and birthdates of their children.
In April of that year, just two months after Lucinda had birthed their son Ira, they moved to the Hazelwood section of Pittsburgh. Lucinda later note "it was thought that it was almost too soon for me to move after the child's birth." They returned to Farmington for a visit in October 1880 and stayed one night at the home of Austin's father and step-mother. They arrived in the evening, just when the step-mother was putting to bed Austin's much younger half brothers John and William.
The 1900 census shows them living in the city's 23rd Ward, at 89 Flowers Avenue, where Austin worked as a day laborer, and his son William as a carpenter and Alexander as a painter.
The 1910 census shows that they remained on Flowers Street, with Austin working as a railroad laborer and his unmarried, 34-year-old son Alexander making a living as a house painter.
Austin suffered a cerebral hemorrhage ill in March 1926, and the news was sent to his nephew S. Fuller Brougher in Uniontown. In an article about the illness, the Uniontown Morning Herald reported that "There are a number of relatives in this city." He died shortly afterward, at the age of 80, on March 14, 1926. His remains were placed at rest in the Homestead Cemetery. James E. Rush of the home was the informant on the certificate of death. In that document, the name of Austin's mother was spelled "Percilla."
Son William E. Rush (1874- ? ) was born in December 1874. In 1900, he made a living in Pittsburgh as a carpenter.
Son Alexander "Alec" Rush (1876- ? ) was born in July 1876, the month of our nation's centennial. He was a longtime house painter and contractor in Pittsburgh. In 1920, unmarried at age 44, he dwelled with his parents on Flowers Avenue.
Son Chauncey Rush (1878- ? ) was born on Jan. 21, 1878. His birth was recorded in the family bible.
Son Ira Rush (1880- ? ) was born on Feb. 4, 1880 in Farmington. Within two months, the family relocated to Hazelwood near Pittsburgh. In about 1900, he is believed to have wed Mary Bolitho (1881- ? ), a Welsh immigrant who had come to America in 1890 at the age of nine. Her maiden name also has been spelled "Blytho" and "Volitho" in family papers. The couple made their home on Blair Street in Pittsburgh in 1910, and Ira was employed as a railroad engineer. They had these known children -- Clarence Rush, Elmer Rush, Ruth Rush and Ira Rush Jr. Circa 1942, they lived at 423 Flowers Avenue in Pittsburgh.
Son Franklin Rush (1887- ? ) was born in December 1887. He was employed as a railroad stenographer in 1910, when he was age 22.
Son Benjamin H. Rush (1888- ? ) was born in December 1888. In 1910, at the age of 21, he lived at home and worked as a railroad clerk in Pittsburgh.
Son James Edward Rush (1893- ? ) was born in July 1893. When the census was taken in 1920, he was age 26 and lived with his parents, and worked as a material clerk in a railroad office in Pittsburgh.
~ Son Patrick Rush ~
Son Patrick Rush (1847-1889) was born in 1847.
When the census was taken in 1870, the 23-year-old Patrick lived at home and worked with his father as a farm laborer.
Patrick married Amanda Hager (1855-1875). They resided in or around Farmington and had one known son, Charles W. Rush, born in 1873.
Tragically, Amanda died on May 16, 1875, when she was 20 years of age. She was laid to rest in the Van Sickle Cemetery south of Farmington. A stone was placed at her grave, and it remains somewhat legible and upright today, as photographed in May 2014. Her untimely passing left Patrick as a single father of a toddler.
Patrick obtained employment in McKeesport near Pittsburgh as a laborer in an iron pipe mill. He married again within a few years to Anna L. Long (1862- ? ), daughter of Hezekiah "Ez" and Sarah Serena Long of McKeesport. He was 14 years older than his bride.
When the federal census was taken in 1880, they made their home with Patrick's in-laws, with the father in law also employed in the iron pipe mill. The Rushes went on to have children of their own, among them Sarah Savilla Haberman, Clyde Rush and Joseph P. Rush.
Patrick is believed to have died on Feb. 18, 1889. If so, his remains were placed at rest in the McKeesport and Versailles Cemetery, Section B, Lot 67.
On Nov. 17, 1890, age 27, Anna married again to 22-year-old widower Thomas J. Stuckey (1868- ? ). Local alderman John Gripp performed the nuptials. A native of West Virginia, Thomas worked at the time as a mill hand and lived in McKeesport. The Stuckeys lived in McKeesport and had one more daughter of their own, Virginia Stuckey.
The federal census of 1900 shows a mixed household headed by 30-year-old Thomas and 36-year-old Anna, including her sons Clyde and Joseph, their daughter Virginia, her brother J.T. Long and family Celia and Margaret Long, and father in law Hezekiah "Ez" Long.
Circa 1920, Anna operated a rooming house located at 6200 Walnut Street in Pittsburgh. The federal census of 1920 shows 10 roomers under her roof, including her son Joseph. Suffering from chronic organic heart disease, Annie died at the age of 56 on Oct. 27, 1920. She was laid to rest in the Versailles Cemetery in McKeesport. Her son Joseph provided details for her Pennsylvania death certificate. No obituary has been located in the Pittsburgh Press newspaper.
Son Charles W. Rush (1873- ? ) was born in December 1873 and was a year or two old when his mother died. His father married again and they went to reside in McKeesport near Pittsburgh. On Dec. 21, 1895, when he was 21 years of age, Charles married Ella A. Griffith (1874- ? ), daughter of Jacob and Mary A. Griffith. She was a fellow native of Wharton Township and a resident of Uniontown at the time of marriage. They had one known son, Duane Rush, born in 1896. Circa 1905, when mentioned as a cousin in the newspaper obituary of John K. Rush II, Charles lived at Fairchance, Fayette County. Within a few years, Charles was named proprietor of the Alexander Hotel in Brownsville, Fayette County, in partnership with a cousin George O. Rush. Said a profile of the cousin in the Genealogical and Personal History of Fayette County, "they operate [the hotel] under the firm name of Rush & Rush." Sadly, he and Ella divorced on or about March 19, 1917, in Fayette County Court. He married again at the age of 44 to 34-year-old widow Harriet G. (Geist) Diller (1884- ? ), daughter of Adam and Mary C. (Sheaffer) Geist of Blue Ball, Lancaster County, PA. Rev. S.M. Mountz officiated at their ceremony held in Blue Ball on Jan. 21, 1918. Harriet had been married once before and brought a daughter to the marriage, Helen M. Diller. They made their home in 1920 in East Earl Township, Lancaster County, with Charles again engaged as a hotel keeper. Living in their dwelling were Harriet's daughter Helen (age 14) and sister Ettie G. Geist (56). Upon Harriet's death, Charles handled the administration of the estate, and his brother in law Harry K. Geist looked into possible irregularities involving the matter. (See Geist Family Papers on LancasterHistory.org.) At the time, Charles made his home in Miami. Circa 1945, a census of Florida shows Charles living at 644 N.W. 45th Street in Miami. Charles and his first wife are listed in a manuscript booklet The Hager Chronicles, shown to the founder of this website at the 2015 national Junghen-Younkin Reunion cemetery tour in Farmington.
Daughter Sarah Savilla Haberman (1881-1922) was born on Oct. 4, 1880 (or 1881). She was named in part for her grandmother, Syvilla (Younkin) Rush. She resided in McKeesport and married steelworker George C. Haberman (1873- ? ) of Duquesne, near Pittsburgh. They were wed on April 29, 1897, when Sarah was age 16 and George 24, with Rev. W.W. MacMillan officiating. Because she was underage at the time, Sarah's mother had to provide her consent. They did not reproduce. Their home was at 1908 Jenny Lind Street in McKeesport. Circa 1910, the federal census shows them in McKeesport, having been married for 13 years, with George still working at the occupation of foreman at a steel mill. At the age of 37, Sarah began suffering from cancer of the uterus. It spread into her liver, stomach and intestines, and she suffered for three years with the illness. She died on June 6, 1922, at the age of 40. Burial was in the Versailles Cemetery, with Clyde E. Rush serving as the informant for her death certificate.
Son Clyde Rush (1883- ? ) was born in July 1883. At age 16, he lived with his mother and step-father, brother and step-sister and many other extended relatives under one roof in McKeesport. He earned a living in 1900 as a laborer at an "R. Mill," with his step-father working as a heater at the mill. He is believed to have married Harriet "Hattie" (?) (1897- ? ) in 1910, when he was age 26 and she 17. They apparently had no children. The federal census of 1910 shows the newlywed Rushes living in Glassport, near McKeesport, with Clyde employed as a steel mill electrician. By 1920, the couple had moved to Market Street in Beaver, Beaver County, PA, with Clyde continuing to labor in a steel mill. Their whereabouts in 1930 have not been discovered.
Son Joseph P. Rush (1885- ? ) was born in 1885. In 1920, unmarried at age 32, he lived with his mother in her rooming house at 6200 Walnut Street in Pittsburgh. That year, he earned a living as an automobile machinist. Nothing more is known.
~ Daughter Sarah J. Rush ~
Daughter Sarah J. Rush (1849- ? ) was born in 1849. She has faded into the misty haze of the past.
~ Daughter Mary Frances (Rush) Brougher ~
Daughter Mary Frances Rush (1850-1923) was born in 1850 or on April 10, 1853, possibly in West Virginia but more likely in Somerset or Fayette County, PA.
She married a cousin, Marcellus Brougher (1852-1919), son of John and Margaret (Rush) Brougher.
They had four known sons, Harry Brougher, Smith "Fuller" Brougher, Howard Brougher and Presley Brougher. They also helped raised a motherless nephew, James Calvin Minerd Sr. after his mother died in 1872.
Beginning in about 1903, and continuing for 16 years, Marcellus was employed as a watchman at the Carroll Lumber Yard in Uniontown. A newspaper once said that he was "one of the best liked citizens of Uniontown. During his twenty years as a nicht watchman he has committed a thousand kind acts to strays of humanity, having taken in waifs and tramps of all creeds and color during winter nights and has shared his food with many a hungry beggar."
But on the fateful night of Nov. 8, 1919, he "was beaten into insensibility at the entrance to the mill by unknown thugs," reported the Uniontown Morning Herald. He was struck on the forehead and the back of the neck, fracturing his skull at the base. He was carried across the street to a small home owned by the Bunting family, where he "mumbled just enough to lead the the indication that robbery was the motive," said the Daily News Standard. His "pockets were ripped open and his coat, which hung in the office, was ransacked." Law enforcement officials began a sweep of likely culprits in town, but with "apparently no clue to work upon, and the county detective's force seemingly 'not interested,' the attempted slayer ... is at freedom today reading for a second murder when the opportune moment arrives to strike."
Marcellus then was taken to the Uniontown Hospital, where, said the Daily News Standard, "every professional skill is being exerted to save the aged watchman's life."
Their son Howard, a newspaper foreman living at the time in Tarentum, Allegheny County, rushed to the bedside and took personal charge of the criminal investigation. He discovered that contrary to earlier reports, his father's corduroy coat was undisturbed in the lumber yard office, and that a state highway department lead pipe, covered in blood, lay 30 feet from the scene. Newspapers noted the widespread gossip spreading from the lack of law enforcement's interest in the matter.
Marcellus died two weeks after the attack at age 67 on Nov. 23, 1919. Burial was in Park Place Cemetery in Uniontown. Son S.F. Brougher was the informant for the official Pennsylvania death certificate.
Now widowed, Mary went to live with her son Howard in Tarentum. She died in his home at the age of 69 on Oct. 17, 1923, caused by kidney failure added to a stroke. Her remains were returned to Uniontown for interment.
Son Harry Brougher (1887-1940) was born in about 1887. He lived in Uniontown and later moved to Pittsburgh, and apparently never married. He died at the age of 57, on July 20, 1948, in Pittsburgh. His remains were returned to Uniontown for funeral services held at the Edward E. Minerd Funeral Home, led by Rev. L. Spurgeon Clark of the Bethel Baptist Church. He was buried in Park Place Cemetery.
Son Pressley Eston "Press" Brougher (1886-1953) was born in about 1886. He married Mary Wilcox ( ? - ? ) and resided in Uniontown. They had one son, William H. Brougher. In about 1930, Pressley obtained employment as assistant yard manager at the Hankins-Paulson company in Uniontown. He also was a member of the Great Bethel Baptist Church. Their home was in Hopwood Crossing. Pressley died at age 67 on Nov. 12, 1953, "after a four months illness," said the Morning Herald. The funeral was held at the Minerd Funeral Home. Mary died in May 1971.
Son Howard Brougher (1892-1963) was born on July 3, 1892 in Uniontown. He lived in Uniontown as an adult and was employed as a printer by the Uniontown Newspapers Co., with membership in the International Typographical Union (ITU). Circa November 1919, he was a foreman with the Tarentum Telegram. During the Depression, when printing business would have been slow, he obtained work as a printer in Somerset with the American newspaper, working there during the week and returning home on weekends. He married Sarah E. Woodward (1893-1948), daughter of Barton and Sarah M. (Downs) Woodward. They had one daughter, Thelma McClintock. Their home was at 200 Morgantown Street, and they were members of the Central Christian Church. Sally suffered from a "double goiter" condition, and underwent surgery in 1931 in Clearfield, PA. At the death of his aunt, Alice Matlick in 1948, he was named in her newspaper obituary as a nephew. Sadly, Sarah was stricken with cancer of the uterus and died at age 55 on Nov. 14, 1948, with burial in Sylvan Heights Cemetery. Howard outlived his wife by 15 years and married again, to Sally Brown Gans ( ? - ? ), in a quiet ceremony on July 20, 1962 in Winchester, VA. In January 1956, he was pictured in the Morning Herald after receiving a special button for 40 years as a member of the ITU. He passed away at the age of 71 on Dec. 4, 1963. His funeral services were led by Rev. Dr. Earl P. Confer. His obituary in the Morning Herald noted that his parents were "Marcellus and Mary Rush Brougher."
Son Smith "Fuller" Brougher, also known as "S.F." Brougher (1876-1937) was born on March 4, 1876. He lived on Coolspring Street in Uniontown. He married Delcie King, a daughter of Mary A. King, also of Coolspring Street. They did not reproduce, but adopted a daughter, Harriet Brougher. Fuller served on the board of the Calvary Methodist Protestant Church in Uniontown and was treasurer of its Sunday School program. In July 1931, daughter Harriet spent a week in Waynesburg, Greene County, PA, attending the Young Peoples gathering of the Pittsburgh Conference of the Methodist Protestant Churches. Later that same month, they took a driving trip to the mountains of Keyser, WV, and "visited the scene of Mrs. Brougher's birthplace, near Antioch, W.Va., "said the Uniontown Morning Herald, "former home of Nancy Hanks, mother of Abraham Lincoln." At the age of 61, he suffered a stroke and died several days later, on June 17, 1937, without having responded to treatment. Rev. Alden J. Andel preached at the funeral service. In 1938, his widow Delcie donated funds for a memorial window in the church, dedicated that September. Delcie also was an active volunteer with the Auxiliary to the Uniontown Community Male Chorus, and enjoyed motoring to Thomas, WV to visit her aunt Alice Duncan.
~ Alice (Rush) Matlick ~
Daughter Alice Rush (1855-1948) was
born on July 28, 1855 (or 1860). In July 1881, unmarried but
pregnant at age 26 (or 21), Alice went to the home of her father to prepare for the
birth. Upon arriving, she met her five-month-old half-brother William for the
first time. She remained there for several months and delivered a baby boy in
September. To pass the time, she read the newspaper every day, and was taken
with the ongoing story of the assassination of President Garfield, including how
he lingered for several months after the shooting until his death. At the age of 27, Alice wed 36-year-old widower Henry Clay Matlick
Sr. (1850-1915) of South Union Township, Fayette County. A coal miner, he was the son of John
and Lavina Matlick. The wedding took place in Farmington on Oct. 31, 1886, by
the hand of justice of the peace George W. Hensel. On her marriage license
application, she listed her parents as "John K. & S. Rush." He had
one daughter to his earlier marriage, Buena Weimer. Alice also brought a son to the marriage, Charles
Martin, born in about 1881. The Matlicks resided in
Brownfield near Uniontown, Fayette County until the late 1890s, when they
relocated to West Virginia, settling in the Grant District of Preston County. Road house near
Farmington, once owned by
They had eight more children of their own -- Henry Clay Matlick Jr., Harry
Matlick, William Matlick, Clara Johnston, Emma Brownfield, Fern Collins and
Daisy Mitchell. In her pregnancy with her first child, Alice returned to
her father's home in Farmington, where she was "confined." She and the
baby were tended to by her step-mother Mary. When the federal censuses were enumerated in 1900 and 1910, they
lived as farmers in Preston County. Henry died in 1915, at the age of 65. A year
later, Alice's step-daughter Buena Weimer also passed. By 1917, Mary lived in Somerfield,
Somerset County. In 1920, she was in Brownfield, near Uniontown, Fayette County, and made her home with her married
son Henry Jr. She was a member of the Brownfield Methodist Church. Suffering from hardening of the
arteries and heart failure, she passed
away at the age of 88, on Nov. 11, 1948. The Uniontown Morning Herald
noted that she was "highly esteemed" and was survived by 22
grandchildren, 37 great-grandchildren and three great-great grandchildren, as
well as a nephew, Howard Brougher, of Uniontown. In a note, Alice's nephew J.
Arthur Williams wrote to his sister Lulu Johnston in Pittsburgh, saying: "I
am droping you a few lines to let you know that Aunt Alice died this morning and
as far as I know she will be burried Sunday sometime. We are going up this
evening. They brought her down to Gleason Funeral Home and are going to take her
back up to Brownfield and she will be burried from Mitchell's place.. Will write
you a letter later." Burial was in Mountain View
Cemetery between Uniontown and Fairchance. Serving as her pallbearers were Harry
Brownfield, William Collins, Robert Conn, Wallace Mitchell, Ray Mitchell and
Samuel Shaffer. Her daughter Fern Collins was the informant for the official
Pennsylvania Certificate of Death. Son Charles Martin (1881- ? )
was born in September 1881 at the home of his grandfather John K. Rush Sr.
Charles resided in Cumberland, Allegany County, MD circa 1939 and by 1948
was in Uniontown. By 1950, he lived in Fairchance. Daughter Daisy Mae
Matlick (1884-1952) was born in January 1884 in Fayette County. She married
William E. Mitchell ( ? - ? ) on Sept. 14, 1902. They had at least three
sons, Eugene Mitchell, Ray Mitchell and Wallace Mitchell. The family made
their home in Brownfield. Daisy was a longtime member of the Brownfield
Methodist Church, the Ladies Aid Society and Gladys Lodge of the Rebekahs.
She and William celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on Sept. 14,
1952. Daisy passed away at the age of 68 on Dec. 2, 1952, in Uniontown
Hospital. In an obituary, the Uniontown Morning Herald said she was
"a well known resident of Brownfield" and was survived by nine
grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Grandson Eugene Mitchell married and lived
in Akron, OH circa 1948, and traveled to Uniontown for his grandmother
Matlick's funeral that year. Grandson Ray Mitchell married and resided in Solomon
Island, MD in the late 1940s, and also attended his grandmother's funeral in
1948. Grandson Wallace Mitchell lived in Uniontown. Son James
"William" Matlick (1888-1950) was born in about 1888. He was
married twice. His first wife was Anna Collins. they had two known daughters
-- Edna Piper and Minnie Nales. After Anna's death, he married again, to
Minnie Booth. Circa 1948, they lived in Donora, Washington County and
Wilkinsburg, near Pittsburgh. By 1950, they were in Charleroi, Washington
County. William was a longtime railroader, employed as an engineer by the
Pennsylvania Railroad. William died on Oct. 15, 1950, in Charleroi. Funeral
arrangements were handled by the Daugherty Funeral Home of Trafford, PA. Daughter Clara
Matlick (1889- ? ) was born in December 1889 in Pennsylvania. She married
Clarence Johnston. Their home in 1948 was Solomon Island, MD. Daughter Emma
Matlick married (?) Brownfield. They lived in Uniontown and had one known
son, Charles Brownfield. Their son Charles lived on the Morgantown Road
south of Uniontown in 1939. Daughter Mary
"Fern" Matlick (1896- ? ) was born in May 1896 in Brownfield. She
wed Emmett E. Collins (1889-1953) and had at least three children -- William
Collins, Margaret Conn and Thelma Schafer. They resided at 31 John Street in
Uniontown, where Emmett was "a well known painting contractor,"
said the Uniontown Morning Herald. They were members of Calvary
Methodist Church, where Emmett attended the Men's Bible Class. Sadly, Emmett
died at home at the age of 64 on May 9, 1953. He was laid to rest in
Mountain View Cemetery, following a funeral led by Rev. E.J. Keifer. Fern
outlived her husband by many years. In March 1968, she and her son William,
along with Sally Brougher and Eunice Jones, motored to Bruceton Mills to
attend the funeral of Fern's nephew, Harold Matlick. Circa 1972, their
married daughter Thelma Schafer resided in Stone Mountain, GA. Son Henry Clay
Matlick Jr. (1891-1948) was born in October 1892 in Brownfield, Fayette
County or in Danville, Boone County, WV. As a youth he moved with his
parents and siblings to Preston County, WV. On Dec. 27, 1913, living in
Kaddell, WV, he wed 16-year-old Hazel M. Spiker ( ? - ? ). Rev. Jeremiah
Thomas of the church of the Brethren performed the ceremony in Bruceton
Mills, WV. They had four known children: William H. Matlick, Alma Matlick,
Jack Matlick and Harold Matlick. In 1917, following the death of Henry's
father, the Matlicks migrated back to Fayette County. The census of 1920
shows Henry, Hazel and son William together in a residence near Brownfield,
along with Henry's aged, widowed mother and Hazel's 24-year-old single
sister Nellie. In about 1935, Henry moved to Paterson, NJ. After suffering
from a long illness, he died there on March 11, 1948, at the age of 56. He
was laid to rest in Paterson. An obituary appeared in the Uniontown
Morning Herald, noting that he was a "former Uniontown
resident" and had "resided in Uniontown more than 18 years."
Their son Harold lived in Bruceton Mills, WV. Hazel married again, to (?)
Lupkins, and lived on Morgantown Street in Uniontown. Sadly, her son Harold,
a resident of Bruceton Mills, died in March 1968. Son Harry Matlick
died young. Details are not known. ~
Daughter Alice Rush (1855-1948) was born on July 28, 1855 (or 1860).
In July 1881, unmarried but pregnant at age 26 (or 21), Alice went to the home of her father to prepare for the birth. Upon arriving, she met her five-month-old half-brother William for the first time. She remained there for several months and delivered a baby boy in September. To pass the time, she read the newspaper every day, and was taken with the ongoing story of the assassination of President Garfield, including how he lingered for several months after the shooting until his death.
At the age of 27, Alice wed 36-year-old widower Henry Clay Matlick Sr. (1850-1915) of South Union Township, Fayette County. A coal miner, he was the son of John and Lavina Matlick. The wedding took place in Farmington on Oct. 31, 1886, by the hand of justice of the peace George W. Hensel. On her marriage license application, she listed her parents as "John K. & S. Rush."
He had one daughter to his earlier marriage, Buena Weimer. Alice also brought a son to the marriage, Charles Martin, born in about 1881.
The Matlicks resided in Brownfield near Uniontown, Fayette County until the late 1890s, when they relocated to West Virginia, settling in the Grant District of Preston County.
Road house near
Farmington, once owned by
They had eight more children of their own -- Henry Clay Matlick Jr., Harry Matlick, William Matlick, Clara Johnston, Emma Brownfield, Fern Collins and Daisy Mitchell. In her pregnancy with her first child, Alice returned to her father's home in Farmington, where she was "confined." She and the baby were tended to by her step-mother Mary.
When the federal censuses were enumerated in 1900 and 1910, they lived as farmers in Preston County.
Henry died in 1915, at the age of 65. A year later, Alice's step-daughter Buena Weimer also passed.
By 1917, Mary lived in Somerfield, Somerset County. In 1920, she was in Brownfield, near Uniontown, Fayette County, and made her home with her married son Henry Jr. She was a member of the Brownfield Methodist Church.
Suffering from hardening of the arteries and heart failure, she passed away at the age of 88, on Nov. 11, 1948. The Uniontown Morning Herald noted that she was "highly esteemed" and was survived by 22 grandchildren, 37 great-grandchildren and three great-great grandchildren, as well as a nephew, Howard Brougher, of Uniontown. In a note, Alice's nephew J. Arthur Williams wrote to his sister Lulu Johnston in Pittsburgh, saying: "I am droping you a few lines to let you know that Aunt Alice died this morning and as far as I know she will be burried Sunday sometime. We are going up this evening. They brought her down to Gleason Funeral Home and are going to take her back up to Brownfield and she will be burried from Mitchell's place.. Will write you a letter later."
Burial was in Mountain View Cemetery between Uniontown and Fairchance. Serving as her pallbearers were Harry Brownfield, William Collins, Robert Conn, Wallace Mitchell, Ray Mitchell and Samuel Shaffer. Her daughter Fern Collins was the informant for the official Pennsylvania Certificate of Death.
Son Charles Martin (1881- ? ) was born in September 1881 at the home of his grandfather John K. Rush Sr. Charles resided in Cumberland, Allegany County, MD circa 1939 and by 1948 was in Uniontown. By 1950, he lived in Fairchance.
Daughter Daisy Mae Matlick (1884-1952) was born in January 1884 in Fayette County. She married William E. Mitchell ( ? - ? ) on Sept. 14, 1902. They had at least three sons, Eugene Mitchell, Ray Mitchell and Wallace Mitchell. The family made their home in Brownfield. Daisy was a longtime member of the Brownfield Methodist Church, the Ladies Aid Society and Gladys Lodge of the Rebekahs. She and William celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on Sept. 14, 1952. Daisy passed away at the age of 68 on Dec. 2, 1952, in Uniontown Hospital. In an obituary, the Uniontown Morning Herald said she was "a well known resident of Brownfield" and was survived by nine grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
Grandson Eugene Mitchell married and lived in Akron, OH circa 1948, and traveled to Uniontown for his grandmother Matlick's funeral that year.
Grandson Ray Mitchell married and resided in Solomon Island, MD in the late 1940s, and also attended his grandmother's funeral in 1948.
Grandson Wallace Mitchell lived in Uniontown.
Son James "William" Matlick (1888-1950) was born in about 1888. He was married twice. His first wife was Anna Collins. they had two known daughters -- Edna Piper and Minnie Nales. After Anna's death, he married again, to Minnie Booth. Circa 1948, they lived in Donora, Washington County and Wilkinsburg, near Pittsburgh. By 1950, they were in Charleroi, Washington County. William was a longtime railroader, employed as an engineer by the Pennsylvania Railroad. William died on Oct. 15, 1950, in Charleroi. Funeral arrangements were handled by the Daugherty Funeral Home of Trafford, PA.
Daughter Clara Matlick (1889- ? ) was born in December 1889 in Pennsylvania. She married Clarence Johnston. Their home in 1948 was Solomon Island, MD.
Daughter Emma Matlick married (?) Brownfield. They lived in Uniontown and had one known son, Charles Brownfield. Their son Charles lived on the Morgantown Road south of Uniontown in 1939.
Daughter Mary "Fern" Matlick (1896- ? ) was born in May 1896 in Brownfield. She wed Emmett E. Collins (1889-1953) and had at least three children -- William Collins, Margaret Conn and Thelma Schafer. They resided at 31 John Street in Uniontown, where Emmett was "a well known painting contractor," said the Uniontown Morning Herald. They were members of Calvary Methodist Church, where Emmett attended the Men's Bible Class. Sadly, Emmett died at home at the age of 64 on May 9, 1953. He was laid to rest in Mountain View Cemetery, following a funeral led by Rev. E.J. Keifer. Fern outlived her husband by many years. In March 1968, she and her son William, along with Sally Brougher and Eunice Jones, motored to Bruceton Mills to attend the funeral of Fern's nephew, Harold Matlick. Circa 1972, their married daughter Thelma Schafer resided in Stone Mountain, GA.
Son Henry Clay Matlick Jr. (1891-1948) was born in October 1892 in Brownfield, Fayette County or in Danville, Boone County, WV. As a youth he moved with his parents and siblings to Preston County, WV. On Dec. 27, 1913, living in Kaddell, WV, he wed 16-year-old Hazel M. Spiker ( ? - ? ). Rev. Jeremiah Thomas of the church of the Brethren performed the ceremony in Bruceton Mills, WV. They had four known children: William H. Matlick, Alma Matlick, Jack Matlick and Harold Matlick. In 1917, following the death of Henry's father, the Matlicks migrated back to Fayette County. The census of 1920 shows Henry, Hazel and son William together in a residence near Brownfield, along with Henry's aged, widowed mother and Hazel's 24-year-old single sister Nellie. In about 1935, Henry moved to Paterson, NJ. After suffering from a long illness, he died there on March 11, 1948, at the age of 56. He was laid to rest in Paterson. An obituary appeared in the Uniontown Morning Herald, noting that he was a "former Uniontown resident" and had "resided in Uniontown more than 18 years." Their son Harold lived in Bruceton Mills, WV. Hazel married again, to (?) Lupkins, and lived on Morgantown Street in Uniontown. Sadly, her son Harold, a resident of Bruceton Mills, died in March 1968.
Son Harry Matlick died young. Details are not known.
~ DaughterSarah "Cecelia" (Rush) Haines ~
Daughter Sarah "Cecelia" Rush (or "Celia") Rush (1857-1939) was born on May 10, 1858 (or 1857).
In about 1874, when she was age 16, she married 19-year-old Isaiah Eston Haines (1856-1940).
They first lived on a farm in Wharton Township, Fayette County, and had 10 children -- Harry Haines, George Haines, Ola R. Caton, Mary M. Haines, Anna "Edith" Swift, Frederick C. Haines, Elva "Ruth" Talbert, Estella "Blanche" Minter and Cloyd Haines. Two of the offspring died in childhood.
Over the years, the family moved back and forth across the state line, between Wharton Township and Clifton Mills in the Grant District of Preston County, WV. The federal census of 1880 shows them in Wharton, with their two eldest sons.
Twenty years later, in 1900, they lived on a farm in Clifton Mills. During the decade between 1900 and 1910, they moved back to Wharton Township, residing on a farm along Guthrie Road. The 1920 and 1930 censuses list the Haineses back in Clifton Mills, along Clifton Road, near their son Cloyd.
On March 12, 1926, Cecelia's name was printed in a Uniontown Morning Herald article about her dying brother Austin in Pittsburgh.
Their nest was finally empty by 1930.
Cecelia suffered from chronic heart disease and died of its effects on April 27, 1939, just two weeks shy of her 81st birthday. Her remains were returned to Uniontown for burial in Sylvan Heights Cemetery. Her son Harry, the informant on her death certificate, gave the name of Cecelia's father as "John K. Rush" but did not know the name of the mother. In an obituary, the Uniontown Morning Herald reported that "four children preceded her in death" and that she was survived by 24 grandchildren and 22 great-grandchildren.
Isaiah only lived for another year after his wife's death. He passed away at the home of their son Cloyd in Clifton Mills, at age 85, on March 19, 1940. He joined Cecelia in eternal rest in Sylvan Heights Cemetery, following a funeral service held at the Bethel Church near Farmington.
Son Harry F. Haines (1878-1942) was born in 1878 in Wharton Township. He lived in Uniontown in 1939 and in Clifton Mills in 1940. He was married at least three times. His first bride, name unknown, died on May 4, 1905. After a year as a widower, at the age of 29, he wed 39-year-old divorcee Mary Belle Lowry ( ? - ? ), daughter of Isaiah and Mary (?) of Dunbar Township, Fayette County. They united themselves in marriage on Aug. 13, 1906, in Uniontown, just three months after her divorce was finalized. During his working career, he was a member of the Junior Order of United American Mechanics, a secret organization founded in response to competition for jobs from immigrants and other minorities. He apparently married again, to Catherine (?). Their home was at 451 Braddock Avenue in Uniontown. At the age of 64, apparently incurably ill, Harry ended his own life with a gunshot in the bathroom of their home. No farewell note was left behind. He was placed at rest in Sylvan Heights Cemetery, with an obituary in the Uniontown Morning Herald.
Son George W. Haines (1879-1938) was born in June 1879 in Wharton Township. He was a farm laborer circa 1900 and lived at home with his parents in Clifton Mills, WV. On Nov. 11, 1905, at Brandonville, Preston County, the 26-year-old George married 23-year-old Susie Sechler (1882-1937) of Preston County. They made their home in Uniontown, where George secured long-time employment with the H.C. Frick Coke Company. Circa 1938, their home was in the coal mining patch town of Continental No. 2, worked at the Palmer dock and "was widely known throughout the Fayette county mining industry," said the the Uniontown Morning Herald. They had seven children -- Oscar Haines, Charles Haines, Thomas Haines, George Haines, Martha Haines and Lorraine Haines. Susie died on Feb. 26, 1937, age 55. George passed 13 months later, "suddenly" at home, said the Morning Herald, on March 15, 1938. Burial was in the "family cemetery" following a funeral service at Walnut Hill Church, led by Rev. Harry Humbert. At the time, son Oscar was in Morgantown, WV; Charles in Texarkana, AR; Thomas and George at home; Russell in Quantico, VA as a member of the U.S. Marine Corps; daughter Martha was away receiving a nursing education at St. Francis Hospital in Pittsburgh; and Lorraine at home.
Daughter Ola R. Haines (1881-1963) was born in June 1881 in Wharton Township. She wed Robert Caton (1878-1943) and resided in Uniontown for the duration of their lives. They had nine children -- among those who lived to adulthood were Ruth Riefer, Mildred Lynch, Josephine Reese, R. Wallace Caton, Donald Caton and William "Bernard" Caton. Two others died young. For a quarter of a century, Robert worked as a carpenter for the Eggers Lumber Company in Uniontown. While at work on April 28, 1943, he suffered a heart attack, and died in Uniontown Hospital, at the age of 65. As an older widow, Ola made her home at 26 Coolspring Street in Uniontown. She died at age 82 in Uniontown Hospital on Nov. 20, 1963, just two days before the nation was plunged into grief with the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Her funeral was held in the Edward E. Minerd Funeral Home, followed by interment in Park Place Cemetery. Her survivors included eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Of their adult children circa 1943, Ruth, Mildred and Donald lived in Uniontown; Josephine Reese in Pittsburgh; Wallace in Bluefield, WV; and Bernard was in the West Indies serving with the U.S. Army during World War II.
Daughter Estella "Blanche" Haines (1884-1963) was born in 1884 in Wirsing, PA. Circa 1906, she lived in Bruceton Mills, Preston County. The 22-year-old Blanche wed 28-year-old Norris L. Minter (1876-1938), son of Reuben and Mary E. Minter. The wedding took place on April 12, 1906 at Uniontown, officiated by Rev. Earnest Anton Trabert. At the time, Norris was employed as a restaurateur in Arendtsville, Adams County, PA, near Gettysburg. They had two daughters and a son. Their home during their married lives was Gettysburg. Norris died at home at the age of 62 on June 30, 1938. Burial was in Gettysburg. Blanche outlived her husband by 25 years, and lived at 159 East Middle Street in Gettysburg. She died in Anna Warner Hospital in Gettysburg on Nov. 28, 1963, just eight days after the death of her sister Ola Caton.
Daughter Mary M. Haines (1890- ? ) was born in August 1890 in Wharton Township. Nothing more about her is known, and she is believed to have died in childhood during the 1890s.
Daughter Anna "Edith" Haines (1893- ? ) was born on March 8, 1893 in Wharton Township or in Clifton Mills. (Sources differ.) As a young woman, she migrated to Carpentertown, near Mt. Pleasant, Westmoreland County, PA. She wed George W. Swift (1889- ? ), a native of Adelaide, Fayette County. They were joined in matrimony on April 8, 1912, by Rev. S.B. Mace, in Westmoreland County, PA. They lived in 1938 in Clairton, PA. By 1940, their home was in Erie, Erie County, PA. In 1963, Edith made her home in Brownsville.
Son Frederick C. Haines (1898- ? ) was born in January 1898, the first of their children to be birthed in Preston County. Circa 1920, unmarried, he lived at home with his parents in Preston County and labored as a miner in a local coal mine.
Daughter Elva "Ruth" Haines (1900- ? ) was born in February 1900. As a girl, she attended the Wirsing School in the mountains of Wharton Township. She married Herman Talbert and made her home in Brownsville, Fayette County. Ruth attended a mother-daughter banquet at the Uniontown YMCA in September 1951 and was pictured with the group of attendees in the Morning Herald. In October 1958, she hosted a visit with her sister Blanche Minter of Gettysburg. In 1971, as plans were being made for an annual reunion of the Wirsing school, Ruth was among 116 alumni registered to attend.
Son Cloyd Haines ( ? - ? ) lived in Clifton Mills. He wed Zelphia (?) on New Year's Day 1920. They resided near Farmington, and celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on Jan. 1, 1970, at the Wharton Grange Hall. During World War II, their son Frederick Charles Haines served on the U.S.S. Independent as a member of the U.S. Navy, and son Edwin P. Haines also was in the Navy aboard a destroyer in the South Pacific. The sons' photographs were printed in the Uniontown Morning Herald on April 5, 1945, headlined "Haines Brothers."
~ Daughter Lavina (Rush) Richey ~
Daughter Lavina Rush (1858- ? ) was born in 1858.
At the age of 29, she married 37-year-old widower and laborer Malachi Richey (1850- ? ), son of Hiram and Mary Richey. The ceremony was held on Aug. 25, 1887, in Connellsville. On her marriage license application, she disclosed her mother's name as "Isabella," a derivation or form of "Syvilla."
Nothing more is known.
~ Daughter Martha Rush ~
Daughter Martha Rush (1860- ? ) was born in March 1860.
~Sons from John K. Rush's Third Marriage ~
John K. Rush Jr. (1878- ? ) was born on or about July 15 or Aug. 15, 1878. After the death of his mother in 1884, when he was age six, John was sent to the Pennsylvania Reform School at Morganza, Washington County, PA, arriving Oct. 14, 1890. Circa 1896-1901, he resided with John Sevent (Swint?) in Pittsburgh at 1333 Mulberry Alley. His older half-brother Alexander believed in 1901 that John was employed by H.C. Frick Coke Company in Pittsburgh. He remained away and did not communicate with his younger brother William for many years.
William Rush (1881- ? ) was born on or about May 10, 1881 in or near Farmington, Fayette County, the son of John K. and Mary Rush. At his birth, midwife Margaret M. Inks was present and tended to the needs of mother and baby. His mother died when he was age three, and his father when he was age eight. He never knew his own birthdate. William was sent to the Pennsylvania Reform School at Morganza, Washington County, PA. He was admitted on June 12, 1890, at age nine, and stayed eight years, departing in July 1898. He remained in the area and was a farmer, settling on the farm of Albert E. Pearse in Wylandville, Washington County. Circa 1901, government officials tried to have a guardian assigned so he could receive pension payments, but his employer Pearse refused to act and the amount of funds in question was very small. Research is underway to determine if he is the same "William Rush" who, on Nov. 9, 1902, wed Florence L. Perrine in a ceremony held in West Washington, Washington County.
Walter David Rush (1884- ? ) was born on Jan. 2, 1884, on the "old Herman place" about a mile from Farmington. Mrs. Romesburg, a local midwife, assisted in the delivery. When he was two months of age, his mother died, and he was taken into the home of his much older brother Alexander Rush to be raised. On March 9, 1895, his brother was officially appointed as his guardian by the Orphans' Court of Fayette County. At the age of 25, Walter married Eva Bolitho (1886- ? ), an immigrant from Wales and the daughter of Thomas and Jane Bolitho of Hazelwood, near Pittsburgh. Their nuptials were held at Connellsville on May 1, 1909, officiated by justice of the peace W.P. Clark. Eva had come to the United States in 1887 and was naturalized as a citizen in 1892. Walter and Eva had at least three children -- Wilbert D. Rush, Helen "Ellen" Rush and Mildred Nourse. The 1910 census, taken the year after they were married, shows them residing in Wharton Township, next door to Walter's parents. In 1920, the Rushes and Bolitho in-laws lived together under one roof on Glencaladh Street in Pittsburgh. That year, Walter was employed as a machinist in a tube company, and his father in law Thomas Bolitho as a watchman at a steel works. Walter is believed to have died during the decade of the 1920s. Eva is listed as a widow in the census of 1930, making her home on Lytle Street in Pittsburgh. In addition to her three children, her double-nephew Ira Rush, age 18, also lived in their residence in 1930.