Amanda (King) Rodman was born in Feb. 1839 in Somerset County, PA, the daughter of Thomas R. and Sarah "Sally" (Younkin) King.
She grew up learning the work of a seamstress. In 1856, she is known to have attended the wedding of her sister Susan to James G. Elder, held at their father's home in New Lexington, Somerset County.
Presumably in her early 20s, during the 1860s, she and several adult siblings and their families relocated to Illinois, where they settled in McLean County.
Amanda married Francis A. "Frank" Rodman (June 20, 1837-1920), a native of Zanesville, OH and the son of Scammon and Eliza Ann (Wolf) Rodman.
Frank had been married previously and brought two sons to the second union -- Henry Rodman and Arthur Rodman. He was an early settler of Illinois, and "drove overland from Ohio arriving in Bloomington, oct. 16, 1853," reported the Bloomington (IL) Pantagraph. "He spent the winter at Dodd's Grove and in the spring of 1854, he moved to the Davis farm where the country club is now located. In 1856 he moved to Old Town township...."
They produced a daughter of their own, Eliza F. Rodman, born in 1879.
Federal census records for 1880 show the family residing on a farm in Old Town. Frank was a Republican in his politics and for many years wrote a gossip column for the Pantagraph about comings and goings in the town of Holder. He and his parents were charter members of the Pleasant Grove Methodist Protestant Church, and he belonged for nearly six decades. The original church was constructed in the summer and fall of 1858 and was in place for 30 years until replaced across the road. Said the Pantagraph, "The success of the enterprise was largely due to the liberality of the late Scamon Rodman and his son, Francis A. Rodman. They deserve much credit for developing and pushing forward the spirit of community welfare."
Residing in Holder, McLean County, Amanda wrote and signed an affidavit in 1903 in support of her sister Susan's effort to secure a Civil War widow's pension.
She died in 1916. Burial was in Pleasant Grove Cemetery in Downs, McLean County. [Find-a-Grave]
Francis outlived his wife by four years. As his health failed, he went to live with his married daughter Frances Carlock in the town of Carlock. He died there on April 7, 1920. His remains were shipped back to Old Town via the Lake Erie & Western Railroad, where Rev. Read led funeral services.
~ Daughter Eliza "Frances" (Rodman) Carlock ~
Daughter Eliza "Frances" Rodman (1879- ? ) was born on Sept. 18, 1879 at Holder in Old Town Township, McLean County, IL. In 1903, at the age of about 23, she was united in the holy bonds of matrimony with Harry G. Carlock ( ? -1968). Their marriage endured for more than 64 years until cleaved apart by death. They were the parents of Marion F. Carlock, L. Delos Carlock, Mrs. Raymond Classen, Mrs. Bruce Green and Don Carlock. The couple made a home in the village of Carlock, McLean County for virtually all of their married lives except for one year each in Ambia, IN and Champaign, IL. They were active in the Carlock Christian Church. Sadly, Harry died in 1968. When she reached the age of 90, in September 1969, she was pictured in the Pantagraph and honored with a reception at her home.
~ Stepson Henry H. Rodman ~
Stepson Henry H. Rodman (1861- ? ) was born in about 1861 in Illinois. At the age of 19, in 1880, he was a bachelor and lived with his father and stepmother in Old Town, McLean County. In 1920, when named in his father's newspaper obituary, he was living in Cheney, KS.
~ Stepson Arthur Rodman ~
Stepson Arthur Rodman (1866- ? ) was born in about 1866 in Illinois. He became a teacher in the Bloomington area as a young man and then sought his fortune in Chicago. He obtained employment with the furniture firm Andrews & Company and later with Revell. By 1914, he owned and operated his own business. In August 1914, he was prevented from returning to Bloomington to attend a home coming reunion at the Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church, but sent his regrets and a poem he had authored.