What's New

Photo of the Month

Minerd.com Blog


National Reunion


Cousin Voices

Honor Roll

In Lasting Memory

In the News

Our Mission and Values

Annual Review

Favorite Links

Contact Us



Anna (Swearingen) McReynolds


Anna Morris (Swearingen) McReynolds was born on March 7, 1870 in Tarlton, Pickaway County, OH, the daughter of John S. and Eliza J. (Miner) Swearingen.

In about 1884, when she was age 14, Anna moved with her parents and siblings to Missouri, first residing in Carlton and later in Butler, Bates County.

Anna entered into the rite of marriage with George Edward McReynolds (Feb. 1859-1928), a native of Iroquois, Iroquois County, IL, and the son of Henry and Mary (Morgan) McReynolds. George was 11 years older than Anna. The Butler (MO) Republican Press said that George "was brought to Bates county as a boy, 8 years old, in 1866, by his father, Henry McReynolds who was one of the earliest settlers at Butler. Henry McReynolds had seen Bates county as a soldier in the Civil War and was so impressed with this section that he made immediate preparations to move and settle here as soon as the war ended. All of the boyhood and early manhood of George McReynolds was spent at Butler."

Their four children were Edward Harlan "E.H." McReynolds, Helen Klumpp, Glenwood E. "Pete" McReynolds and Frances "Josephine" McReynolds.


Rich Hill's Park Avenue looking west


The Press said that during the mid-1890s, the family "lived for two years at Sprague. He moved his family to Rich Hill in 1896 and had lived here continuously since that time."

When the federal census was taken in 1900, Anna and George and their family lived on Walnut Street in Rich Hill, Osage Township, Bates County, MO. George made a living that year as a house painter. Anna's unmarried sister, Mamie Swearingen, lived under their roof as shown by the census-taker. They held a membership in the Presbyterian Church.

In March 1903, Anna received a letter from her brother Harley Swearingen, stating that their mother, who lived with Harley, was "up and around the house." To everyone's surprise, though, Eliza slipped away quickly, dying on March 11, 1903 at the age of 71. Anna received word of the passing via telegraph, and despite such short notice and inclement weather, Anna took the afternoon train to Butler for the burial.

Circa May 1904, George was employed by the Rich Hill School District as a custodian at the West Side School. Among other projects, he was assigned the task of making a count of "the number of children in the district of school age," reported the Rich Hill Tribune. He enumerated 616 white males, 635 white females, 6 "colored" males and two "colored" females, for a grand total of 1,256. He was re-elected to this position in May 1904, as were his counterparts at the South Side School (George Lawson) and East Side School (Peter Haley). Teaching that year at West Side were Bertha Marsh, Marguerite Embree and Josie Steele. Again he was re-elected to the janitor's position in May 1909, in a meeting held at the office of Stonebraker & Son. 

The family resided at Rich Hill in 1910, when the census was taken. That year, George was employed as a store clerk and later as a blacksmith and carpenter/woodworker. 

In October 1918, Anna came down with a perforated intestinal ulcer, called "acute indigestion," and 10 days later she was dead, at the age of 48. Her passing occurred on Nov. 2, 1918. The local newspaper eulogized that "She was a most excellent woman and had a large circle of friends who regret her death." Son Glenwood traveled from his post at Camp McArthur, TX to attend the funeral service, but son Edward was deployed overseas with the U.S. Marine Corps during World War I and could not get back home. 

George outlived her by 11 years. The 1920 lists him as widowed, continuing to reside on Walnut Street in Rich Hill. Also living with him that year were son Glenwood (age 25) and daughter Frances Josephine (23). He made a living that year as a clerk in a hardware store, while Frances was a clerk in a store, and Glenwood a shoe store clerk.

In October 1923, George is known to have hosted a visit from his wife's cousin, Cephas Nelson Culp, who had traveled from his home in Springfield, OH. The event was covered in the gossip columns of the Rich Hill Mining Review

At his 69th birthday in February 1927, a family reunion and dinner was held in his honor hosted by his daughter Helen Klumpp, with a related article appearing in the Rich Hill Review and Butler Daily Democrat, calling him "one of Rich Hill's pioneer citizens."

There were eighteen persons in the party, including all of George's children, Ed from St. Louis, Glenwood (Pete) from St. Joseph, Josephine and Helen of home address. Mrs. Frank McKibben of Butler and Mrs Mabel. Griffith of Kansas City, sisters of Mr. McReynolds, also came down for the reunion and celebration. Mrs. Griffith was accompanied by her son Reynold, and his wife and their year-old baby son. Glenwood also was accompanied by his wife and son, "Bobby." Mrs. E.H. McReynolds of St. Louis also accompanied her husband. H.V. Swearingen of Nevada, brother-in-law of George, also came up to be present. George has been a citizen of Bates County virtually all of his life having been reared to manhood in Butler. He moved to Rich Hill in 1896 and has been a resident of this city continuously since then.

Suffering from kidney disease, he died on Jan. 3, 1928, in the home of his daughter Helen Klumpp, as he neared his 70th birthday. They are buried in the McReynolds family plot at the Oak Hill Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant Township east of Butler, MO. He bequeathed the proceeds of his life insurance policy to his unmarried daughter Josephine.


~ Son Glenwood E. "Pete" McReynolds ~

Son Glenwood E. "Pete" McReynolds (1894-1940) was born on Aug. 20, 1894 at Sprague near Butler, Bates County, MO. 

As a young adult, when he registered for the military draft during World War I, he described himself as short and slender, with grey eyes and brown hair. At the time, he was employed as a clerk for C.W. Orris in Rich Hill. He told draft officials that his mother was dependent upon him for support.

Glenwood went on to serve with the U.S. Army during World War I and was stationed for a time at Camp McArthur, TX. After the war, he returned home and established a residence in Rich Hill, Bates County. 

Glenwood married Sarah "Irene" Benz (Aug. 26, 1902-1996). 

Butler, MO
They bore one son, Robert Earl McReynolds. 

Glenwood once was employed as a salesman for H.J. Heinz Co. At some point they moved to St. Joseph, Buchanan County, and made their home at 2807 Francis Street. He was active in helping produce the annual Pure Food and Industrial Show.

Glenwood served for many years as secretary for the Associated Grocers Warehouse of St. Joseph and "was quite prominent in business circles," reported the Bates County Democrat. Poor health forced him to retire in his mid-40s, which left him deeply depressed and despondent. He sought treatment at the famed Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, but without success. 

Perhaps haunted by the memory of his brother Edward's suicide three years earlier, Pete made careful arrangements to end his own life. He penned a note to his wife saying "You will hear from me tomorrow." Then he drove to Butler from their home in St. Joseph and parked his automobile near the golf course. After rigging up a hose from his exhaust back into the car, he started the engine and began to inhale. He thus died at the age of 45 on June 27, 1940. Burial was in Oak Hill Cemetery in Butler.

The widowed Irene made her home at 2822 Edmond Street in St. Joseph in 1942 and at 2707 Folsom Street in 1944. She was hired by H.T. Collman in 1942 as a forecaster on a U.S. Weather Bureau radio station, a first for a woman in St. Joseph. She remained in this role until the station closed at the end of 1964. She bettered herself by taking "on-station" training when the weather bureau moved to Rosecrans Field and correspondence courses in meteorology from Pennsylvania State University. Many were the blizzard, tornado and severe thunderstorm warnings she covered. Said the St. Joseph News-Press, "For years, Mrs. McReynolds has taken the early shift at the Rosecrans Field station. She is on duty at 5 a.m. often breaking through new-fallen snow to reach the airport. Several times she has been marooned at the station and always carries cot and bedding in her automobile for such emergencies."

For a two-year stint, in 1954-1955, she accepted a transfer to Grand Island, NE but found it a lonely experience. At the time her on-air career ended, she was living at the address of 1120 North 24th Street in St. Joseph. She was pictured and featured in a News-Press story dated Jan. 3, 1965 and headlined ''Mrs. Mac' to Stay Here." 

Irene remained in St. Joseph in her retirement years. She belonged to the First Lutheran Church, Lutheran Church Women, Faith Circle, Altar Guild and Altrusa Club and the National Association of Retired Federal Employees. In November 1982, she endured the heartache of losing her only son. She surrendered to the angel of death at the age of 93, in St. Joseph, on May 10, 1996. Pastor Beverly Jo Arnold presided over the funeral rites. The remains were transported for burial to Gypsum Hill Cemetery in Salina, KS.

Son Robert Earl McReynolds (1924-1982) was born in about 1924 in Kansas. He lived in St. Joseph, MO in young manhood and was 16 years of age at his father's tragic death. Robert was an alumnus of Central High School. He enrolled at St. Joseph Junior College. during World War II joined the U.S. Naval Reserves as an apprentice seaman, on inactive duty, so that he could complete his studies. Upon graduation, he became active in his military status. In 1944, stationed at Mt. Vernon, ID, he was transferred to pre-flight school at Grand Junction, ID. He was married to Bette J. Weidler (Dec. 3, 1924-2000), daughter of Donald A. and Emma (Christensen) Weidler. They became the parents of five -- Donnice Irene Stephenson, Karen Selleck, Patti McReynolds, Robert Earl McReynolds Jr. and Scott McReynolds. In 1964-1965, he was employed as a sales manager with Chicago's Midwest Lumber Company, later known as Midwest Jobbers Inc., making a home in Arlington Heights, IL. Their address in 1968 was 538 South Lincoln Lane. He rose to the position of vice president, with the family moving to St. Charles, Kane County, IL. He held memberships in the Lutheran Church and served a term as president of the St. Charles Chamber of Commerce. Sadly, at the age of 58, he died on Nov. 13, 1982. His obituary was published in the St. Joseph Gazette. Burial took place in St. Charles. Bette lived on for another 18 years. The angel of death spirited her away on May 20, 2000.

  • Granddaughter Donnice Irene McReynolds ( ? - ? ) was a 1966 graduate of Arlington (IL) High School. Then for two years she studied at Northern Illinois University. Three days after Christmas 1968, she wed Wayne Arthur Stephenson ( ? - ? ), son of A. Stephenson of North Bellmore, NY. He also was an Arlington High alumnus and then obtained a degree from New York State University. She lived in Palm Bay, FL in 1982 and is believed to have been a pre-school weekday teacher at Peace Lutheran Church. To support the community, Donnie and Wayne jointly served as secretary of the Rescue '84 Committee Inc., which helped raise money for a new library and an emergency vehicle. Donnie was employed as an English teacher at Bayside High School in Palm Bay for many years.
  • Granddaughter Karen McReynolds married (?) Selleck. She was in Apple Valley, MN in 1982.
  • Granddaughter Patti McReynolds ( ? - ? ) resided with her parents in 1982 in St. Charles. By 2000, she had tied the knot with Robert Loomis ( ? - ? ), son of Charles Joel and Adeline (Runge) Loomis. They remained in St. Charles as of 2003.
  • Grandson Robert Earl McReynolds Jr. made his dwelling-place in 1982 in St. Charles, IL. He was joined in wedlock with Penny ( ? - ? ). Their only known son was Robert Earl McReynolds III. They planted themselves in Carol Stream, IL. Grief cascaded over the family at the untimely death of their 14-year-old son Robert III in 2002.

    Great-grandson Robert Earl McReynolds III (1987-2002) was born on Nov. 11, 1987. Sadly, at the age of 14, he passed away in Central DuPage Hospital in Winfield on Jan. 7, 2002. Burial was in North Cemetery in St. Charles. An obituary in the Daily Herald said that the teen "enjoyed all sports and animals and loved to play all electronic games. He was loved by all who met him and will be dearly missed."

  • Grandson Scott McReynolds ( ? - ? ) grew up in St. Charles, IL and graduated from St. Charles High School. He went on to earn a bachelor's degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and secured employment with Hubbell Special Products in Kenosha, WI. In 1988, he and Mary K. Vanderwiel ( ? - ? ) exchanged wedding vows at the Veterans Memorial Park gazebo in McHenry, IL, by the hand of Judge Susan Hutchinson. The beaming couple were pictured in a related announcement in the Woodstock (IL) Northwest Herald. Mary was the daughter of George "Skip" Vanderwiel and Darlene Michelsen of McHenry. She was an alumna of McHenry West and Northwestern and earned a living at the time of marriage with the federal government. Their first home together was in McHenry. Two known offspring of this family were Amy McReynolds and Steven Arthur McReynolds.

    Great-granddaughter Amy McReynolds (1992- ? ) was born in about 1992. 

    Great-grandson Steven Arthur McReynolds was born in 1994 at Northern Illinois Medical Center. 


~ Daughter Helen (McReynolds) Klumpp ~

Daughter Helen McReynolds (1892-1979) was born on Dec. 10, 1892 at Butler, Bates County, MO. 

In 1915, when she was age 23, Helen entered into marriage with Joseph Phillip Klumpp Sr. (Nov. 6, 1889-1961), a Missourian from Independence whose parents John Emil and Margaret (Ratjen) Klumpp were natives of Germany. 

They together produced three known children -- Joseph Phillip "Jack" Klumpp Jr., Josephine Hannibal Plucknett and Kathryne Ann Mumford.

The Klumpps saw a 1934 World Series game in St. Louis' Sportsman's Park 

Likely the house of Joseph's parents, Rich Hill 
In 1920 and 1930, the censuses show that the Klumpps made their home in Rich Hill. In 1930, Helen's 31-year-old unmarried sister Josephine McReynolds lived under their roof that year. Joseph's occupation was as a retail merchant in a hardware store. He also was president of the Rich Hill Bank.

With Helen's brother Edward employed in an executive position with the Missouri Pacific Lines Railroad, the Klumpps had many opportunities to travel and take in high profile events. In October 1934, they attended a World Series baseball game between the Detroit Tigers and St. Louis Cardinals in Sportsman's Park, watching as the local "Gashouse Gang" team won 4-1 before a crowd of 34,073. Dizzy Dean's brother Paul was the winning pitcher, while Pepper Martin smacked a double and triple and scored two runs.

When the Rich Hill Bank closed during the Great Depression, said the Beatrice (NE) Daily Sun, Joseph organized another bank, and installed himself as president, with "another man owning the majority of the stock and actively managing the bank. The owner advertised the bank for sale, and [Richard W.] Trefz bought his interest." In all, John spent 25 years in business in Rich Hill, finally selling the hardware firm in October 1939. He and Trefz remained longtime friends.

The Klumpps pulled up stakes in 1939 and migrated to Nebraska, settling at Beatrice, Gage County, NE.There, in November 1939, he and their son founded J.P. Klumpp and Son, a hardware business. Their shop was located at 106 North Sixth Street. In announcing the opening, the Beatrice Daily Sun said that the "store will carry a complete line of general hardware, builders and steelware." By 1946, the business had moved to 614 Court Street.

Their home for the next four decades, the balance of their lives, was at 1305 North 11th Street. They joined the First Presbyterian Church, and Helen was active with its Diaconia Sunday School class the Circle 3. She also belonged to the Order of Eastern Star for 50 years, the Royal Neighbors and the auxiliary of the American Legion. Joseph served as a ruling elder of the First Presbyterian Church and held memberships in the Elks, Kiwanis, Masons and Eastern Star.

Joseph also was a longtime board director of the chamber of commerce and in the early part of 1941 served as clean up chairman of its retail division. Helen was pictured in the Daily Sun in December 1944 for her volunteer work for the Eastern Star in collecting canned fruit and vegetables for the organization's Home for Children at Fremont, NE and the Masonic Home in Plattsmouth, NE.

Sadly, after enduring what the Daily Sun called "a long illness," Joseph passed away at the age of 71 on Jan. 12, 1961. Rev. Dr. H. Willard Lampe presided over the funeral rites, with interment following in the Evergreen Home Cemetery.

Helen lived for another 18-plus years as a widow. In January 1966, her unmarried sister Josephine came to live with her but sadly died within a few weeks. With her own health failing, Helen entered a local hospital and died there at the age of 86 on Oct. 7, 1979. An obituary was printed in the Daily Sun. Her survivors included six grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. 

Son Joseph P. "Jack" Klumpp Jr. (1916-1980) was born on June 6, 1916 in Rich Hill, MO. He grew up in the hardware business in Rich Hill and then in 1939 and afterward in Beatrice, NE. He is known to have served in the U.S. Army during World War II and was stationed in 1943 in Pennsylvania in Army intelligence. He rejoined the family business upon his return home. Circa 1946, at age 29, he was joined in wedlock with 26-year-old Virginia M. Crawford (May 22, 1920-1968), also of Beatrice and the daughter of Judge Frank Elmer Crawford. The nuptials were conducted in the First Presbyterian Church by the hand of Rev. H. Willard Lampe. In announcing the marriage, the Beatrice Daily Sun said that the bride wore "a Victorian style, ivory brocaded satin gown with long sleeves coming to points over the wrists, drop shoulders and a court train. The fingertip veil of ivory illusion was attached to a Juliet cap. She carried a white prayer book topped with white roses and streamers and wore a single strand of pearls." Virginia was an alumna of Wesleyan University. The only child of this union was Mary Virginia Gordon. The Klumpps made their home over the decades in Beatrice, with him continuing to own and operate the hardware store. In all, Jack worked in the family business for four decades. He also was a member of the Bitting-Norman post of the American Legion, Beatrice lodges of the Eagles, Elks and Masons, Beatrice Chamber of Commerce, York Rite Masonic Bodies, Sesostris Temple of the Shrine, Order of Eastern Star and Rotary Club of Beatrice and was a vestryman of Christ Church Episcopal  Sadly, Virginia passed away at the age of 48 on Dec. 13, 1968. Then in 1972, after four years alone, he wed his second bride, Edna May Hoevet of Wymore, NE. She brought two stepsons into the second union, William H. Hoevet and Robert E. Hoevet. Jack surrendered to the angel of death in a hospital in Lincoln, NE on June 17, 1980. He was pictured in his Daily Sun obituary. Funeral services jointly were conducted by Rev. Fr. Howard S. Trask and Rev. Eugene Watson. Interment was in Wymore Cemetery.

  • Granddaughter Mary Virginia Klumpp ( ? - ? ) resided in Millard, NE as a young woman. She was a graduate of the college preparatory school Brownell Hall in Omaha, with honors, and then studied at Nebraska Wesleyan University. Circa 1968, she was a senior at the College of St. Mary and held a membership in Sigma Rho Lambda, a medical science honorary sorority. On Jan. 25, 1969, she was united in matrimony with Scott H. Gordon ( ? - ? ), son of H. Howard Gordon of Elkhorn, NE. Their wedding ceremony was held at Christ Church Episcopal, by the hand of Rev. Howard S. Trask. Said the Beatrice Daily Sun, the bride "appeared in a skimmer of bridal satin with accents of three-dimensional Venise lace. The yoke and high rounded neckline were defined bya wide overlay of the imported lace; and the lace topped the long tapered sleeves, and was repeated in a border on the hemline of the A-line skirt. An aisle-wide train falling from just below the shouldeers repeated the lace trim." The groom was an alumnus of Elkhorn High School, also had attended Nebraska Wesleyan and then transferred to the University of Nebraska at Omaha. He was a member of the Air Force Reserve Officers Training Corps. The Gordons established their home in Denver and were there in 1980.
Alliance, NE blanketed under a heavy snowfall 

Daughter Josephine Marie Klumpp (1918-2005) was born on Dec. 12, 1918 at Rich Hill, MO. At the age of 21, in 1939, she made the move to Beatrice, NE with her parents and siblings. She was twice-wed. Her first spouse was Claude Hannibal (Oct. 25, 1914-1949), a native of Bismark, MO and the son of Lena Ramsey. Their wedding took place during the World War II years and was held in New Orleans on May 26, 1943. The pair of children borne of this union were Claudia Marie Wahl and Joseph Allen Hannibal. Early in the marriage, the Hannibals lived in Shreveport, LA and other southern locales, where he worked for Pan-American Airways and the Lyke Steamship Lines. Then in 1946 they moved to Alliance, NE, where Claude launched the Nebraska Hydro Gas Company. Two years later, on the second day of the new year 1949, Claude became lost in a blizzard about 25 miles south of Alliance. He and co-worker Howard Smith had been en route to the John Reed ranch to make a gas delivery, but their truck became stuck about 2.5 miles from the Glen Younkin Snow ranch. Claude got out of the truck to look for fence posts to use to lift and free the vehicle. He was not seen alive again. Smith waited and then tried a search of his own but the snow-winds were overwhelming. He got back in the cab and waited for 36 hours until rescued by a cowhand of the ranch. Reported the Alliance Times-Herald:

A search was made by Varley and Glen Younkin for Hannibal after Smith was brought in Tuesday. Early this morning a concerted search was begun for Hannibal. A half-track began to work north from the Snow ranch and one of Dodd-DeBolt's biggest Diesel tractors set out from Alliance southward toward the ranch. There are many hay stacks in the vicinity of the parked truck, and it was believed possible that the missing man could have found shelter in one of them... All rural roads in this area were blocked by the fierce 48-hour blizzard which started Sunday evening. One man is reported lost. Some livestock losses have been discovered, and ranchers expect to find more dead cattle beneath drifts; horseback searches are being started from all ranches today in an effort to save livestock. 

National news coverage of Claude's death -courtesy Google Books

National Guard officials tried to send a ski-equipped airplane, but the heavy snows prevented a takeoff. The body was found three days later on Jan. 5, about three-quarters of a mile from the stalled truck, "sitting against a haystack where he had apparently stopped to rest," said an International News Service article published nationwide. "Rescue workers reported Hannibal had made no attempt to bore into the stock, which might have saved his life." It was brought to a local farm until such time as it could be moved to the town of Alliance. The grieving Josephine insisted that funeral services be delayed until her parents could arrive from Beatrice. Burial was in Evergreen Home Cemetery. After the funeral, Josephine's mother stayed in their residence for several weeks to help care for the children. Josephine told a news reporter that she planned to carry on her late husband's business. Later that year, she sold a portion of the firm to her brother-in-law Wilbur Luther Mumford. It continued for a decade and dissolved in 1959. For years, the Alliance newspapers referred to the tragedy in occasional stories.

Claude is one of only a very few number of cousins and spouses in the extended Minerd-Minard-Miner-Minor family to lose his life in a blizzard/freezing situation. In another extraordinary twist, the ranch where his body was found was owned by Glenn Steven Younkin (1897-1955), son of Charles Elbert and Nellie Mae (Green) Younkin of the family of Alexander C. and Harriet Amanda (Mooney) Younkin. Both Josephine's and Glenn's families trace their historical roots to Somerset County in southwestern Pennsylvania and with more than 15 inter-marriages between them over the years. That the paths of members of both clans would intersect in this 1949 tragedy, after more than 130 years of separation, is astonishing. Josephine's great-great-great grandfather Frederick Miner Sr. left Pennsylvania in 1812 to settle in Ohio, followed by a migration by Frederick's granddaughter Eliza (Minor) Swearingen  from Ohio to Missouri in about 1871, and then a move by Eliza's great-granddaughter Helen (McReynolds) Klumpp to Nebraska in 1939. In Glenn's branch, his great-grandparents Dr. Jonas and Martha (Pringey) Younkin had relocated from Pennsylvania to Iowa in about 1850-1851, with their son Alexander C. Younkin moving to Kewanee, IL Creaton, IA, Cedar Rapids and Kimball, NE, and finally Alliance, NE in 1908.

Josephine's dwelling-place in 1961 was in Beatrice. On Sept. 30, 1970, when both were age 51, she married her second husband, Elden Marko Plucknett (May 12, 1919-1997), originally from DeWitt, NE and the son of Walter and Flossie (Marko) Plucknett. Their nuptials were conducted in Beatrice's First Presbyterian Church by the hand of Rev. Dean Waychoff. The Beatrice Daily Sun announced the happy news of the marriage. Their union endured for 27 years until the separation of death. Elden was a 1935 graduate of Beatrice High School and had served in World War II as a U.S. Navy corpsman assigned to the Fleet Marine Corps. He went on to a long working career as a farmer and cattleman. Elden belonged to the First Presbyterian Church of Beatrice and the Eastridge Presbyterian Church of Lincoln as well as the Bitting-Norman post of the American Legion, Geddes-Thober post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Beatrice lodge of the Elks and the University Club of Lincoln. For some years they dwelled on a farm southeast of DeWitt. In 1979-1980, their residence was in Beatrice. In 1995 they relocated to Lincoln, NE with an address of 5600 South Boulevard. Sadly, Elden died in a Lincoln hospital at the age of 78 on Aug. 27, 1997. His obituary appeared in the Daily Sun. Funeral rites were led by Rev. Jimmy Shelbourn, at the First Presbyterian Church, followed by interment in Oak Grove Cemetery. Now widowed, Josephine moved in 2003 to O'Fallon, MO, where her son was residing. She died at home at the age of 86 on June 19, 2005. Graveside services were held at Oak Grove Cemetery in DeWitt, with an obituary appearing in the Lincoln Journal Star.

  • Granddaughter Claudia Marie Hannibal (1944- ? ) was born in about 1944. She was four years of age at her father's senseless death. She was an alumna of Trinity University in San Antonio, TX and became a teacher for deaf students with employment in Portland, OR. On Dec. 21, 1968, she entered into marriage with William Paul Wahl ( ? - ? ), son of Lloyd E. Nordquist. Their wedding vows were exchanged in Portland's Westminster Presbyterian Church, presided by Rev. Laurence P. Byers. Her bridal portrait was published in an announcement in the Beatrice Daily Sun, which said that she wore "a gown of candlelight dulcette satin and imported re-embroidered Alencon lace featuring a standaway cameo neckline detailed with lace and clusters of seed pearl. The full-length sleeves and bodice were appliqued in motifs extending down the skirt and over the train. The formal gown styled with an Empire waist, a modified A-line silhouette, had controlled back fullness that drifted into a full chapel length train." The Wahls first lived in Portland, where Paul was in a management training program with J.C. Penney Company. Eventually they moved to Sherwood, OR. They are believed to be the parents of Kimberly Wahl.

    Great-granddaughter Kimberly Wahl grew up in Sherwood OR. She is a graduate of Sherwood High School and Seattle University, majoring in communications. As of 2010, she was employed by Wells Fargo Bank in Portland as a private banking associate. Circa February 2011, she wed Joshua Gutzwiler ( ? - ? ), son of Phil and Darlene Gutzwiler of Malaga, WA. He was a graduate of Wenatchee (WA) High School. He then went on to earn bachelor's degrees in human resources and management theory from Washington State University and a master's degree in business from Gonzaga University. At the time of marriage, he worked with Kimberly at Wells Fargo Bank in Portaldn as a real estate negotiator. She went on to work for Washington Trust Bank from 2012 to 2017. Today the Gutzwilers dwell in Spokane, WA, where Kimberly owns Optimum KG LLC, providing contract support services for family offices. 

  • Grandson Joseph Allen Hannibal (1947-2015) was born on Nov. 29, 1947 in Alliance, NE. He was only one year old when his father died. Joseph was a graduate of Wentorth Military Academy in Lexington, MO and then attended Nebraska Wesleyan University. As of 1968, he was apprenticed as a mortician with Hodgman-Splain and Roberts. During the Vietnam War, he joined the U.S. Air Force and trained at Sheppard Air Force Base in Texas and Castle Air Force Base in California. Said the Beatrice Daily Sun, he "was trained as a medical service specialist and has been assigned to a unit of the Strategic Air Command." His first wife was Vicki Cass ( ? - ? ), daughter of Gaythor Cass of Beatrice. They were joined in wedlock on Feb. 24, 1968 in the First Christian Church, officiated by Rev. George Warren Campbell. Her bridal portrait appeared in a wedding announcement in the Daily Sun. Vicki was an alumna of Beatrice High School and the University of Nebraska and at the time of marriage worked for the university's Love Memorial Library. They dwelled in Atwater, CA in 1970. He devoted his postwar professional career to respiratory therapy. Later, he tied the marital cord with Barbara. They relocated to Lincoln, NE and O'Fallon, MO, and appear to have retired in Yuma, AZ. Joseph died at the age of 67 at home on April 30, 2015. A notice of his passing was published in the Yuma Sun.  

Daughter Kathryne Ann Klumpp (1923-2010) was born on Dec. 4, 1923 in Rich Hill, MO. She moved with her parents and family to Beatrice, NE in 1939. She was employed in 1944 by Beatrice State Bank Corporation. On June 10, 1944, just four days after D-Day, she married fellow Beatrice resident Wilbur Luther Mumford Sr. (1922-2008), son of Luther and Minnie (Kriter) Mumford. The vows were exchanged in the field chapel of the Army post at Columbia, GA, by the hand of an Army chaplain. Said the Rich Hill Mining Review, the bride "wore a white linen suit and was attended by her father and mother." Their union withstood the ups and downs of an extraordinary 64 years. At the time of marriage Wilbur was serving in the U.S. Army, held the rank of corporal and had been assigned to officers candidate school at Fort Benning, GA. They made their first home, however, in Indiana. He was assigned to the 63rd Division which was deployed to Europe and saw action in the Ardennes, Alsace, Rhineland and Central Europe. The Mumfords became the parents of at least one known offspring -- Joseph Richard Mumford. Wilbur was engaged in the hydrogen gas business for many years and at one time owned LP Gas and Appliance (circa 1950 in Alliance, NE). At the tragic death of their brother-in-law Claude Hannibal in a blizzard in January 1949, the Mumfords purchased a share of his business, Nebraska Hydro Gas Company, and continued to operate it for a decade with the widow and Kathryne serving as bookkeepers until it closed in June 1959. He also is believed to have been employed by American Propane Company in the early 1960s in California and then back to Beatrice. Over the decades, the couple dwelled in Lincoln, NE in 1946, Blue Springs, NE in 1948, Alliance, NE in 1950, Sunnyside, CA in 1961, Beatrice in 1961, Colfax, CA in 1964-1965, Tahoe City, CA in 1968 and in 1979-1980 in Papaau, HI. By 2005, they returned to Missouri and lived in Kansas City. Wilbur succumbed to the spectre of death at the age of 86 on Dec. 8, 2008. Kathryn died at the age of 86 in Kansas City on Feb. 23, 2010. Her remains were lowered into eternal repose in White Chapel Memorial Gardens in Gladstone, Clay County, MO. Her celebration of life was held at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church. In an obituary in the Kansas City Star, the family asked that any memorial gifts be made to Crossroads Hospice.

  • Grandson Joseph Richard Mumford was born in 1948 in or near Blue Springs, NE. He weighed 9½ lbs. at birth, with the news printed in the Rich Hill Mining Review


~ Daughter Frances "Josephine" McReynolds ~

Daughter Frances "Josephine" McReynolds (1896-1966) was born on April 21, 1896 in Rich Hill near Butler, Bates County, MO.

As a teen in 1914, she is believed to have attended the Christian Endeavor Convention. She was very social, with her name in more than 220 news and gossip column articles over the years in the Rich Hill and Butler County newspapers, but did not marry. She seems to have been especially good friends with Cora Martin and Ruth Howell, among others. She is known to have entertained a visit from her aunt Mamie (Swearingen) Haley from Kansas City in November 1926. 

In June 1927, Josephine and Mrs. Jessie McKibben spent a weekend in St. Louis and, said the Butler Times-Press, "were present at the ovation given Col. Chas. Lindbergh." Just a month earlier, Lindbergh had made the world's first nonstop flight to Paris from New York City and was considered an American hero.

American hero Charles Lindbergh with his famed airplane, The Spirit of St. Louis, whom Josephine saw a month after his pioneering flight from New York to Paris.
Courtesy Library of Congress

Later that year, she resigned her position with Beasley's Store to provide care for her father who was in poor health. The Bates County Republican said on that occasion that she "is one of our most pleasing young ladies, very popular with the public and the Beasley customers will miss her pleasant manner when they go to the store." Her father died in January 1928, and under the terms of his estate, she received the proceeds of his life insurance policy totaling $1,000. She is known to have spent the summer of 1928 at the St. Louis home of her brother Edwin. In the company of Mr. and Mrs. C. Fritz Kreiger and Elsie Stickland, she went on a driving trip to California in the winter of 1929. They passed through Tombstone, AZ and motored over a mountain at 6,030 feet above sea level.

Josephine in 1930 and 1934 made her home in Rich Hill, Bates County, apparently living under the roof of her married sister Helen Klumpp. She is known to have attended Rich Hill's 50th anniversary celebration in July 1930, with her brother Edward and wife coming from St. Louis via a special Missouri Pacific Lines railcar. In September 1931, she took trips to Chicago and the Ozarks. She is known to have toured Yellowstone National Park in August 1934. She relocated in 1934 to Jefferson City, Cole County, MO, to begin new employment in a relief office during the grip of the Great Depression.

Circa 1937-1940, she resided in Warrensburg, Johnson County, MO. Among her travels in August 1939 was with her niece Josephine Klumpp and Lillie Wilkinson to the Missouri State Fair.The federal census enumeration of 1940 shows the 43-year-old unmarried Josephine lodging in the household of Jessie Martin in Warrensburg. At that time she had no occupation. She, Cora Martin and Mr. and Mrs. J. Burl Holland are known to have traveled to visit Josephine's married sister Helen Klumpp in Nebraska in the summer of 1940. She returned to the Klumpp residence in the summer of 1941. 

Josephine suffered from an illness and was at Excelsior Springs in December 1942 and entertained a visit from her sister Helen Klumpp. She remained there into April when Helen again came to see her. The sisters exchanged many more visits together over the years, as chronicled in the pages of the Beatrice Daily Sun.

Her world was turned upside down in 1937 at the suicide of her brother Edward and again in 1940 at the self-inflicted death of her brother Glenwood, both of them prominent in their fields of business.

She was back in the residence of Carl and Ellen Martin in Warrensburg in 1950, earning a living as a sales clerk for a retail variety store. A newspaper said she "was a member of the Presbyterian Church and Eastern Star at Rich Hill and had managed the College Dress Shop at Warrensburg for 25 years before her retirement in August of 1965.

On Jan. 6, 1966, she relocated from Warrensburg to the Klumpp home in Beatrice. She almost immediately was admitted to a local hospital where she died at the age of 69 on Jan. 18, 1966. Funeral rites were conducted by Rev. Dr. H. Willard Lampe, with an obituary appearing in the Daily Sun. Burial was in Evergreen Home Cemetery, with F. Warner Smith Jr., E.J. Wiebe, Fred Knipping, L.E. Henderson, G. Ray Macy and Francis Howe serving as pallbearers. She was survived by two nieces and two nephews. Traveling to attend the funeral were her widowed sister-in-law Irene McReynolds of St. Joseph, MO and Joe Hannival of Lexington, MO.


Copyright 2000, 2002, 2008-2009 , 2024 Mark A. Miner